Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:10 pm 
***** General

Liked: 211
Quote:
Never mind the dramatics over raising the debt ceiling. One group is keeping its eye on what it regards as a bigger prize: getting rid of the IRS.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee speaks at the Clinton Presidential Library in Little Rock, Ark., , June 1, 2011. (AP Photo/Danny Johnston)

Supporters of the so-called Fair Tax — a national retail sales tax that, in theory, could replace the income tax – are gearing up for a major push on Capitol Hill next week, including intensive lobbying. The highlight of the week will be a Ways and Means Committee hearing on the Fair Tax, as well as other consumption-tax variations, such as the European-style value-added tax.

The hearing is part of a series on tax reform that the tax-writing committee is holding.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee – who’s expecting to be one of the witnesses at Tuesday’s hearing – so far claims more than 25,000 signatures on a petition he hopes to deliver to lawmakers. “Help us reach 100,000 signatures by July 25th at midnight, he says on his website. “Why? So I can say when I testify about the FairTax before Congress, that over 100,000 Americans are standing with me today.”

He adds: “Folks, it is time we put the IRS out of business.”

The committee hasn’t disclosed its witness list yet.

In announcing the hearing, Ways and Means Chairman Dave Camp (R., Mich.) said, “While the Committee thus far has focused on reforming the income tax, tax proposals that would move us away from an income base and instead adopt consumption as the tax base have continued to generate interest as well. Supporters of such approaches believe that taxing consumption rather than income could have important economic benefits, and so as part of our efforts to reform the tax code, the Committee needs to examine those proposals. This hearing will allow the Committee to learn more about two of the most-discussed consumption tax proposals, the FairTax and the VAT.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2011/07/21/huckabee-presses-for-national-sales-tax/

TEAM HUCK IOWA
http://www.facebook.com/TeamHuckIowa

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:34 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 73
I don't like this title. It should read: Huckabee presses for the Fair Tax. A national sales tax is too much like the VAT or value added tax so many other countries have (in Tanzania it was 20%) which is a national sales tax and it does not address or do away with the federal income tax.

Mike is, however, pressing for the Fair Tax which gets rid of the federal income tax and replaces it with a sales tax. If we are going to support Mike Huckabee's efforts in pressing the Fair Tax we need to make sure that it is understood correctly and not mislabeled. Too many people have been mislead to believe the Fair Tax is an additional federal tax on sales and therefore scaring people away from it. :geek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:37 pm 
***** General

Liked: 523
Agreed! As soon as I saw the title, I figured the editor must have a bias against the Fair Tax.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:31 pm 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
Quote:
He adds: “Folks, it is time we put the IRS out of business.”

Just what I told a man in line at the county treasurer's office today. We were talking of the "privilege" we have each year of paying for the little sticker for our license plates--you know, the motor vehicle tax. This year, hubby and I are paying over $1,000 to drive our two cars and two farm trucks, none of which are new.

I told him I liked Gov. Huckabee's idea of the Fair Tax to get rid of the income tax and lots of other taxes. He agreed, but he thought I meant the value added tax. Before I could correct him, my name was called to pay our taxes. There is still lots of confusion as to what the Fair Tax is.

Then, tonight at our county Republican meeting we had a libertarian blogger speak to us. He was not real supportive of the Fair Tax. Also, he feels that giving tax credits is wrong because it is a way of robbing from us, the taxpayers, and giving to some business to create jobs, etc. He gave us something new to think about.

This guy believes the gang of six budget plan will be approved in the Senate, then it will go to the House and cause a big explosion, and there will be no plan. Then, the vote will be postponed. But some are saying Obama will find a way to unilaterally declare a budget limit increase, by executive order.