Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:04 am 
***** General

Liked: 440
Maybe we should all decide to meet at the HuckPac booth at a certain time so we can all meet. What would be a good time so that we don't miss out on the speeches or anything?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:46 am 
***** General

Liked: 523
justgrace wrote:
QuoVadisAnima wrote:
I'm more jealous that they get to see Huckabee!! And for free, too!!
:mrgreen: (this is the closest emoticon we have to green with envy, but this guy just looks smug - more like the people who I am envying are probably looking! :wink: )

I love it how you make me laugh or nod in agreement, QVA. You are such an asset to Huck's Army and certainly deserve to attend!

My hope and prayer for this weekend is to get my dream of seeing Huckabee recording his show. If, Lord-willing, I make it (it seems too good to be real!) you will possibly see me in the vast crowd, wearing my Team Huck shirt and looking perhaps a little too awestruck and smiley! I will try with all my heart not to appear smug, but I will be thinking of you and other friends here, wishing we could all be together there.

Thank you, Grace! I am praying with you that you will get to be there! And if God grants you this, you must post a picture of yourself together with all our other forum friends & promise me that you will all smile your smuggest just for me! :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:56 am 
Captain

Liked: 72
What is your prediction to the straw poll? Will Huckabee finish in the top four? What would be a strong polling to send a message to Huckabee?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:52 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
QuoVadisAnima wrote:
justgrace wrote:
QuoVadisAnima wrote:
I'm more jealous that they get to see Huckabee!! And for free, too!!
:mrgreen: (this is the closest emoticon we have to green with envy, but this guy just looks smug - more like the people who I am envying are probably looking! :wink: )

I love it how you make me laugh or nod in agreement, QVA. You are such an asset to Huck's Army and certainly deserve to attend!

My hope and prayer for this weekend is to get my dream of seeing Huckabee recording his show. If, Lord-willing, I make it (it seems too good to be real!) you will possibly see me in the vast crowd, wearing my Team Huck shirt and looking perhaps a little too awestruck and smiley! I will try with all my heart not to appear smug, but I will be thinking of you and other friends here, wishing we could all be together there.

Thank you, Grace! I am praying with you that you will get to be there! And if God grants you this, you must post a picture of yourself together with all our other forum friends & promise me that you will all smile your smuggest just for me! :D

Promised!

Post by justgrace Liked by: QuoVadisAnima

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:01 am 
Major

Liked: 90
dadof5 wrote:
What is your prediction to the straw poll? Will Huckabee finish in the top four? What would be a strong polling to send a message to Huckabee?

At this point I have strong doubt that Huckabee finishes anywhere even in the top 6 or 7. TPAWs numbers have been looking solid enough to make a great 3-way race between Bachmann, Paul, and TPAW. It seems that, while not on the ballot, Perry is going to make an actual effort to get write in votes. This is genious in my mind because if he fails, its no biggie "I wasnt on the ballot"...but if he is successful then he can say "now imagine if I had been on the ballot"....Santorum will finish 5th, Romney 6th. My guess would be that we would see Cain around 7th and then another possible write in candidate such as Huck or Palin around 8.

My true hope is that things looks something like this:

Paul 18%
TPAW 17%
Bachmann 16%
Santorum 15%
Romney 14%
Perry 8%
Huckabee 6%
Cain 3%
Other 3%

Can you imagine if Paul won and nobody even hit 20%? Something like this is what could drive Huck back into action. I know, I am a wishful thinker...so sue me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:09 am 
***** General

Liked: 37
I think I am going to cry.

As most of you know I've been to Iowa four times since September of 2009. It's become my most favorite place in the world to visit and somewhere I would love to live in if God opened up that door. I have friends all over the state that have become more like a "Family" to me. Iowa's a big state and the Capitol is not in the Center so it has proved very difficult to get everyone in the same place at the same time. Well the Straw Poll is going to be the time those stars align.

Add to that the fact that Mike will be there and hanging out between media appearances and jamming with different musical acts on various campaign stages. Most agonizing is the act he is jamming with on Santorum's stage is Buddy Holly's legendary band, The Crickets (Ames is not far away from the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake where Buddy Holly played his last show before his fatal plane crash in 1959 - a place I got to visit last September and have a memorial brick placed in my honor as a Birthday present)

Add to this the fact I have a family wedding to attend this weekend in South Carolina and I can't watch or listen to any of the action.

It all equals heartbreak. However family comes first. My Godbrother is getting married and the wedding has been planned for months and even if Mike was running I couldn't have gotten out of going.

Actually I think I am going to cry now. :balling

Sorry - I just had to get this off my chest. I can move on now. It was not in God's will for me to be there this weekend and He is in control and knows what HE is doing. It does me no good to linger on this so moving on...hope everyone has a fantastic time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:27 am 
Brigadier Geneal

Liked: 84
Brian--

Ironically, I was thinking before I even read your post that maybe I just need to get away for the weekend and skip all the upcoming events as I also want to cry for different reasons.

In about six months, we should have the declared winner of the GOP primaries, and should all be on the same page, however, the disagreements among our fellow Huck supporters have caused the severance of some friendships that may or may not be restored. So, I have to ask the question--is it really worth it? I don't even dare to search through my friend list on facebook to determine how many friends have unfriended me, but sometimes I accidentally discover this when I go to their page.

Of course I am so grateful for the ones who have chosen to remain on my list of friends, and pray the division caused by some toxic politics will only be for a short season. So, in a way, my dear and special friend, your missing out on this event could be a blessing in disguise. I truly hope you have a great time at your family member's wedding, and thanks for allowing me to join you in a time of sharing disappointments. :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:08 pm 
***** General

Liked: 37
Big hugs Maxine.

I'm not a fan of the toxic environment either.

I have learned that politics is not just a blood sport but it is a very emotional exercise that sometimes we take too seriously. I'll be the very first person to admit that because I am still holding on to a political grudge with Sarah Palin because she failed to endorse Vander Plaats.

However you have pretty much summed up my reasoning behind me being quiet about this nominating process. I know that once I go with a candidate publicly the stones will start flying and my Facebook wall will become filled with flame wars by supporters of various candidates. I refuse to participate in that exercise to the point that even though it has been difficult I haven't even discussed the contest at all even from an unbiased position.

Of course all of this would have changed if Mike got in the race. But since he did not I remain silent That doesn't mean I don't have a preferred candidate but I am just quiet about it.

Post by BDBopper Liked by: mxnwilson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:29 pm 
Brigadier Geneal

Liked: 84
BDBopper wrote:
Big hugs Maxine.

I'm not a fan of the toxic environment either.

I have learned that politics is not just a blood sport but it is a very emotional exercise that sometimes we take too seriously. I'll be the very first person to admit that because I am still holding on to a political grudge with Sarah Palin because she failed to endorse Vander Plaats.

However you have pretty much summed up my reasoning behind me being quiet about this nominating process. I know that once I go with a candidate publicly the stones will start flying and my Facebook wall will become filled with flame wars by supporters of various candidates. I refuse to participate in that exercise to the point that even though it has been difficult I haven't even discussed the contest at all even from an unbiased position.

Of course all of this would have changed if Mike got in the race. But since he did not I remain silent That doesn't mean I don't have a preferred candidate but I am just quiet about it.

Already feeling better, my friend. Thanks so much for the hugs, and you are very wise to keep quiet about your preferred choice at this time. :like

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:24 pm 
***** General

Liked: 211
karrboy84 wrote:
dadof5 wrote:

At this point I have strong doubt that Huckabee finishes anywhere even in the top 6 or 7. TPAWs numbers have been looking solid enough to make a great 3-way race between Bachmann, Paul, and TPAW. It seems that, while not on the ballot, Perry is going to make an actual effort to get write in votes. This is genious in my mind because if he fails, its no biggie "I wasnt on the ballot"...but if he is successful then he can say "now imagine if I had been on the ballot"....Santorum will finish 5th, Romney 6th. My guess would be that we would see Cain around 7th and then another possible write in candidate such as Huck or Palin around 8.

My true hope is that things looks something like this:

Paul 18%
TPAW 17%
Bachmann 16%
Santorum 15%
Romney 14%
Perry 8%
Huckabee 6%
Cain 3%
Other 3%

Can you imagine if Paul won and nobody even hit 20%? Something like this is what could drive Huck back into action. I know, I am a wishful thinker...so sue me.

I am not a Bachmann fan but I believe you need to switch Bachmann and Pawlenty around for a "Huck could get in scenario."

Now Palin will be in Iowa before the straw poll with her bus. If her and Perry think they are such hot shots why don't they man or woman up and enter the straw poll? And if Palin ends up not running she will go down as the most self-promoting politician in history.

TEAM HUCK IOWA
http://www.facebook.com/TeamHuckIowa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:44 pm 
***** General

Liked: 374
Well I hope there are plenty of HA folks at Ames for the governor's show. The audience for Huckabee's shows is always so sweet looking. Probably the sweetest looking audience in all of tv.

Or bring more or more blazon man’s distress.
And I not help. Nor word now of success:
All is from wreck, here, there, to rescue one—
Work which to see scarce so much as begun
Makes welcome death, does dear forgetfulness.
Or what is else? There is your world within.
There rid the dragons, root out there the sin.
Your will is law in that small commonweal…
G.M. Hopkins.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:21 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
Miserere wrote:
Well I hope there are plenty of HA folks at Ames for the governor's show. The audience for Huckabee's shows is always so sweet looking. Probably the sweetest looking audience in all of tv.

Lord willing and if the creeks don't rise, my husband and I plan to be somewhere in the audience. As farmers, there is always the possibility we have to cancel, if the cattle get out or the creek floods or something breaks down, etc. Actually, we praise the Lord for a couple of fairly good rains (no "toad stranglers" yet! and the creeks have weeds growing in the bottom and no water.) I am so thankful that he will be my chariot driver (my hubby, that is.) I will smile for you all and try my best to look sweet. We anticipate a very large crowd, so we will probably be way in the back! But, yes, I always notice that about the Huckabee audiences, how friendly and sweet they look.

Post by justgrace Liked by: GrannyT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:40 am 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 19

BDBopper wrote:
I think I am going to cry.

As most of you know I've been to Iowa four times since September of 2009. It's become my most favorite place in the world to visit and somewhere I would love to live in if God opened up that door. I have friends all over the state that have become more like a "Family" to me. Iowa's a big state and the Capitol is not in the Center so it has proved very difficult to get everyone in the same place at the same time. Well the Straw Poll is going to be the time those stars align.

Add to that the fact that Mike will be there and hanging out between media appearances and jamming with different musical acts on various campaign stages. Most agonizing is the act he is jamming with on Santorum's stage is Buddy Holly's legendary band, The Crickets (Ames is not far away from the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake where Buddy Holly played his last show before his fatal plane crash in 1959 - a place I got to visit last September and have a memorial brick placed in my honor as a Birthday present)

Add to this the fact I have a family wedding to attend this weekend in South Carolina and I can't watch or listen to any of the action.

It all equals heartbreak. However family comes first. My Godbrother is getting married and the wedding has been planned for months and even if Mike was running I couldn't have gotten out of going.

Actually I think I am going to cry now. :balling

Sorry - I just had to get this off my chest. I can move on now. It was not in God's will for me to be there this weekend and He is in control and knows what HE is doing. It does me no good to linger on this so moving on...hope everyone has a fantastic time.

You say "Conspiracy Theorist"?? Call me Agenda Analyst.

Post by melopa has received Likes: 3 BDBopper, justgrace, mxnwilson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:58 am 
***** General

Liked: 653
My two cents:

Bachmann 22%
Paul 21%
Romney 17%
TPaw 15%
Perry 8%
Huckabee 6%
Santorum 4%
Cain 3%
Others 4%

Don't like it all, but there it is.

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Post by Southern Doc Liked by: mxnwilson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:03 pm 
Major

Liked: 90
Southern Doc wrote:
My two cents:

Bachmann 22%
Paul 21%
Romney 17%
TPaw 15%
Perry 8%
Huckabee 6%
Santorum 4%
Cain 3%
Others 4%

Santorum recently polled at 14% in Iowa, so I think you are way off on him. Iowans do not vote for people who dont even try so giving Romnet 17% might be a little high, although I could see him shipping in a couple hundred votes just so he doesnt come in after a guy like mccotter or the write ins.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:01 pm 
***** General

Liked: 653
karrboy84 wrote:
Southern Doc wrote:
My two cents:

Bachmann 22%
Paul 21%
Romney 17%
TPaw 15%
Perry 8%
Huckabee 6%
Santorum 4%
Cain 3%
Others 4%

Santorum recently polled at 14% in Iowa, so I think you are way off on him. Iowans do not vote for people who dont even try so giving Romnet 17% might be a little high, although I could see him shipping in a couple hundred votes just so he doesnt come in after a guy like mccotter or the write ins.

Thanks. I was unaware that Santorum was anything other than a rounding error based on the national coverage of events in Iowa. I do think the "frontrunner" "moderate" "wealth-business-establishment" vote is owned by Romney in Iowa regardless of whether he' particularly visible and does represent at least 20% of the GOP. BUT - who knows who will show up for a straw poll.

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:16 pm 
***** General

Would Perry and Romney leading be enough to get Huck to reconsider? she wrote, wistfully...

I'm never good with the numbers predictions, but I think it's safe to say that Perry is going to get most of the press no matter who gets what percentage. :?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:23 pm 
***** General

Hmm, ironically, I just stumbled across this... It would seem that Huckabee disagrees with me & his remarks seem very similar to his 2008 ire against Romney. Maybe this could be enough to get Huck back in the race?

Quote:
Mike Huckabee: Rick Perry timing 'bad form,' 'tactical blunder'

By ALEXANDER BURNS | 8/11/11 5:59 PM EDT Updated: 8/11/11 6:03 PM EDT

Mike Huckabee is giving a big thumbs-down to Rick Perry’s campaign rollout, telling Fox News that the Texas governor’s decision to announce on the day of the Iowa straw poll is a big “tactical blunder.”

The problem, said the former Arkansas governor and 2008 Iowa caucus winner, is that Perry’s Saturday kickoff in South Carolina shows disrespect to the Iowa process.

“It’s a tactical blunder … The people of Iowa work very hard to make the straw poll the biggest political moment in the summer,” Huckabee said. “If you have a candidate who says, ‘You know what, I’m not gonna be there, I’m gonna be over in South Carolina, trying to pull as much attention as possible away from your big event’ – I’ll tell you, the people of Iowa are gracious, loving, kind people, and they’re not gonna take kindly to someone, in essence, dissing their big event. Which is what it will be reviewed as in the state of Iowa.”

Huckabee, who came in second in the 2007 Ames straw poll, likened the presidential primary process to a marathon, advising: “You don’t get to start at mile No. 6.”

“Whether you like it or not, you start at the starting line and the starting line is Iowa. You don’t have to say, ‘I want to be in Iowa,’ but that’s where you gotta start,” Huckabee said.

He predicted: “You watch, the other candidates will beat the daylights out of him for not respecting the Iowa straw poll. So will the Iowa Republican Party. And out there, just sort of the conversation on the streets, will be that it was bad form.”

Huckabee has quickly started to emerge as a Southern, Christian conservative thorn in Rick Perry’s Southern, Christian conservative side, and previously jabbed at Perry for having endorsed Rudy Giuliani for president in 2008.

Huckabee sought Perry’s support for his own bid that year, to no avail.

In his Fox appearance Thursday, Huckabee also forecast that Perry wouldn’t be able to compete effectively for attention with the Iowa event, due to the sheer number of national reporters on the ground in Ames.

The supremely media-conscious Huckabee scoffed: “The B-team of national political reporters will be the ones in South Carolina covering his announcement.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0811/61140.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:35 pm 
***** General

Liked: 374
But do most Iowans really care about Ames? What percentage of the GOP primary voters actually go to Ames?

I think Perry's move is pretty astute. The election isn't about Iowa (if it was, Huck would be in the White House), it's about the long run and all 50 states, and Perry's announcement makes the winners at Ames that much more irrelevant. Iowa brings forth the underdog or it destroys the underdog by a bad showing. Perry doesn't need Iowa to propel him to the fore in the way that Huck did. He's not a candidate that needs Iowa one way or another.

I just really think Huck (understandably IMO :)) has a problem with Perry, and this is another jab.

Or bring more or more blazon man’s distress.
And I not help. Nor word now of success:
All is from wreck, here, there, to rescue one—
Work which to see scarce so much as begun
Makes welcome death, does dear forgetfulness.
Or what is else? There is your world within.
There rid the dragons, root out there the sin.
Your will is law in that small commonweal…
G.M. Hopkins.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:43 pm 
***** General

Huck's former campaign manager, Chip Saltzman, had an interview on Fox & said pretty much the same - Perry is one of the possibles that doesn't need Ames.

What mainly struck me about Huck's comments was that he's got a burr under his saddle with Perry that is very reminiscent of the one he had with Romney. Makes me wonder if that burr could turn in to a spur! :P