Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:56 am 
General

Liked: 3
New video released to raise awareness for famine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzcRSr6PW_o

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:52 am 
***** General

Liked: 653
Looks like the old “off color” Huck has showed up again as he does periodically with flag-pole or scatological allusions. Still like Mike especially because he is a “regular guy.” But his cred with me as a “regular guy” is not enhanced by catering to the aesthetics and standards of the vulgarians that comprise the voice of the Hollywood/Media elite. I don’t like it when he tries to be “one of the boys” in the garage, or locker-room and I certainly don’t like it when he tries to be “one of the swells” at the Red-Eye post production cocktail party.

Well the add does reflect our "failure" to "figure" the e"ffect" of a "fractured" "foundation" "fundamentally" "filling" our "future" with a "flood" of "false" "facsimiles" of "faith."

In this case the "faith" that somehow we can compartmentalize our sense or right and wrong. Somehow we are suppose to be able to "rank" the acceptable vices, which we can even embrace if they advance a noble purpose, and stridently condemn the sinful lives of others that are the "really bad" things.

Well Mike, lets go back to two golden oldies not showcased by their orginal artists in the last five minutes of your weekly show:

Be Holy as I am Holy.

Shall we do evil that good may result? May it never be.

Integrity is the answer not edgy slick advertisements for more aid. Aid to the helpless is noble and godly. But as the add itself inadvertently acknowledges it is not the solution because it is not the proplem. The add says that famine is "man-made." That is certainly the case in East Africa today. But why? Because people are suffering the consequences of the immoral decisions of immoral leaders who have valued their own purposes above their neighbors. And why do they do that? Because they do not love God and therefore do not love their neighbor. Water flows from a source. If it is pure then those receiving it downstream have a chance. If it is not then it will steadily corrupt.

This add seeks, by way of a "clever" device, to say that the true sins in this world are not the personal foibles of cursing or other "minor" matters but the "major" sin of starving innocents. But we have the starving innocents precisely because we have decided that "small" vices are unimportant and this both permits and encourages them to grow. Only when they are fully crushing children to death do we take note and ask, "why doesn't someone do something?" Well by all means do something. But do not try to provoke a more just world by a cheap appeal to vulgarity. It is both unnecessary and intellectually the anti-thesis of Huck's own philosophy of Hucktown.

Huck should know better.

This hurts his "brand" and I am sorry he did it.

I hope, though I doubt it, that he was told that his final words were not to be used to suggest his own contribution of the vulgar to somehow promote the good.

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:50 pm 
Captain

Liked: 26
Oh My! I am very disappointed to see Governor Huckabee in this video. He knows the Bible very well, and to say that famine is "man-made" completely ignores the fact that God rules the universe, withholding rain when he chooses, causing crops to fail when He chooses. He holds the oceans in the palms of His hands. I wish Gov. Huckabee had not have participated in this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:58 pm 
***** General

Liked: 259
Are we sure that Huckabee actually curses in this PSA?

From politico:

Quote:
Huckabee, Bloomberg curse for a cause

The Bush twins also participated, but don’t curse in this version of the PSA.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/click/101 ... cause.html

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:26 pm 
***** General

Liked: 31
Say a curse = save some lives.........seems like a pretty good deal to me.
It's just a word folks......settle down.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:24 pm 
***** General

Liked: 211
ConservTexan wrote:
Are we sure that Huckabee actually curses in this PSA?

From politico:

Quote:
Huckabee, Bloomberg curse for a cause

The Bush twins also participated, but don’t curse in this version of the PSA.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/click/101 ... cause.html

If you watch it closely, it looks like Huckabee is actually saying "famine" when it is bleeped out. And at the end...I don't know what it is but it sure looks like something with a "m" in it and not a "ck." Not saying it was still a good decision as it still references the word but I don't think he actually said it....so take that as you may.

I don't get up in the air about these things. Just a personal judgement call that maybe wasn't the greatest.

TEAM HUCK IOWA
http://www.facebook.com/TeamHuckIowa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:34 pm 
***** General

Liked: 259
I was not bothered by the ad.

I was just citing the story posted at politico because it stated that the Bush daughters did not cuss.

And I was just curious if in fact he did cuss.

Again, not bothered by it.

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:43 pm 
***** General

Liked: 215
I just watched the video and don't like it. Whether he says the "F" word or not, the last part is implying that he did. It's great to support overcoming famine, but there are other ways to do that. Does this make me want to disown Mike? No, but I do question his judgment on this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:59 pm 
***** General

Liked: 523
Initially, I thought they might have been saying "famine" and the bleep just made it look like they were saying the other, but that last clip of Huck & the Politico article make it appear that he did.

I don't much care for it, either, and agree in wishing he hadn't done it, but I am not overly unhappy about it. It's vulgar (somewhat like rolling around in the mud), but it's not immoral (which is more like actually creating the mud).

Hannamarar wrote:
Oh My! I am very disappointed to see Governor Huckabee in this video. He knows the Bible very well, and to say that famine is "man-made" completely ignores the fact that God rules the universe, withholding rain when he chooses, causing crops to fail when He chooses. He holds the oceans in the palms of His hands. I wish Gov. Huckabee had not have participated in this.

What they are referring to is not that the drought is man-made, but that the famine is. The difference being that, if we do something to help, the people over there will not starve to death. If we do nothing, they will. So the idea of the ad campaign is which is worse - vulgar language or allowing people to starve to death without lifting a finger to help?

Africa particularly is known for the man-made starvation of people because you have corrupt govt's and feuding tribes that block food from getting to those who need it & divert it to their militants.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:09 pm 
***** General

FirstCoastTerp wrote:
I just watched the video and don't like it. Whether he says the "F" word or not, the last part is implying that he did. It's great to support overcoming famine, but there are other ways to do that. Does this make me want to disown Mike? No, but I do question his judgment on this.

Amen.

I will add the "I am not a cabbage" argument:

The add is designed, first to last, to be provocative by suggesting the use of what has deftly been called the "queen mother" of dirty words.

I know when folks are trying to yank me around and pull my chain.

Mike embraced that strategy. I doubt he actually cursed but that is entirely beside the point. The whole add is premised on the notion that famine is worse than cursing.

Well duh!

And that somehow by cursing or pretending to curse you are showing the depth of your commitment to the cause of famine relief.

Really? Are we really so adolescent that we have to use a dirty word to prove our authenticity to join the cool kid table?

And murder is worse than rape. Robbery is worse than speeding (at least until impact). Hall and Oates is worse than ABBA.

So? What does this prove?

The famine is the "true obscenity" is a non-sequitur. No one argues the opposite. No one even vaguely suggests that. This is just shock shtick and reflects the coarsening of our culture.

I also just love the implied "it's only a word" open minded pluralistic claptrap in the midst of a week in which a three term governor, who appointed more minorities to government than any predecessor, and who is described by his Texas foes as not having "a racist bone in his body," is pilloried because some unidentified sources claim he failed to paint over an offensive racist word more quickly than he did thirty years ago.

Throwing around vulgarities designed to inflame like N***** or F*** for their shock value is stupid and insulting and gratuitous whether it is done by a comic, a klansman, or Clooney.

We know that about N*****. It's a shame we don't understand the principle that should lay behind that knowledge: that a civil society requires respect and that our leaders must "lead" in their example of showing respect.

This kind of PSA stunt is also decidedly not Presidential in the Reagan sense though it might be in the "boxers or briefs" common man Clinton act.

I frankly don't want another Clinton.

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:12 pm 
***** General

Quote:

Me neither. But we are apparently a remnant.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:49 pm 
** General

Liked: 107
I don't like it. I know at the beginning they are all saying "famine" but at the end it is implied that he's cussing. Or maybe he really did cuss, I don't care enough to watch the video again to see.

Could this video turn out like Newt and Pelosi's global warming video? I didn't recognize everyone in the video but was Huckabee the token conservative?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
FirstCoastTerp wrote:

I agree. It is hard to believe that Huckabee knew what the final video would look like, and how damaging to his image it would be. I have to hope that he did not know exactly and that he was misinformed how it would play as a whole. Such a fine man does not need to resort to this type of publicity, especially for an organization that we do not know how effective they are. Why not a nice donation and serious appeal with Samaritan's Purse, for example?

Someone wiser than me once told me to be very careful in writing a personal letter to someone to raise an issue or demand forgiveness, etc. It can be read over and over and misinterpreted or reinterpreted. There is no body language to ease the knife-cut, no opportunity to see hurt in the eyes and say, "Oh no! That is not what I meant to say." They are convinced the letter says what they want it to say. And with a video like this, it will be played over and over. The sad thing is that it will do less for fighting hunger than it will for Governor Huckabee's enemies to try to bring him down.

While I still believe Mike is an honorable person, this was not a good move. :(

:pray Praying that Mike will learn a lesson to remain true to his convictions and to us, his conservative base. And that God will give him wisdom and strength to avoid even the appearance of evil.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:52 pm 
***** General

QuoVadisAnima wrote:
Quote:

Me neither. But we are apparently a remnant.

I don't really want much. I'm not expecting the world from a President, or prosperity, or religious awakening, or perfection, or ideological purity, or someone who feels my pain, or takes my confession, or the one we've been waiting for.

I just want a grown up. And an honest one would be nice.

Mike remains the nearest thing and he ain't running; which may prove that he really is the grown-up and honest about himself at least.

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:26 pm 
Colonel

Liked: 1
I was not offended by this and no one in my family uses bad language. I think they were all saying "famine." Who knows what GH was saying. Maybe he said "freaking" like so many kids say today.

As to famine not being manmade. Yes, God "has his way in the whirlwind and the clouds are the dust of his feet", but just because crops don't grow doesn't mean people have to starve. The UN, USA, Food for the Hungry, World Vision, and other charitable orgs could keep people from starving if it weren't for politics.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:22 pm 
General

Liked: 71
Whatever. I just want someone who knows how to create jobs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:35 pm 
***** General

Liked: 190
Could it be that the very idea that all of you are on here discussing this ad proves just how effective it is? I think the purpose of this ad was to get your attention and hold it and it looks like it did.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:43 pm 
***** General

Yes, it's true that we're talking about the ad, but we are not talking about what we can do to help, so is it successfully bringing attention to fighting famine in Africa or to the use of the curse word? I guess that depends on how the general public receives it since we're not your typical slice of Americana. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:46 pm 
***** General

nrobyar wrote:
Could it be that the very idea that all of you are on here discussing this ad proves just how effective it is? I think the purpose of this ad was to get your attention and hold it and it looks like it did.

If you are contending that all media attention is "good" then I would suggest you consult the Catholic Church.

Controversy sells media. It does not necessarily sell product.

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:54 pm 
***** General

Liked: 525
I was not offended by the video as the intent is to solve something that bothers me much more than even profanity (which I don't appreciate). How much have people been tracking the story about famine on the horn of Africa? My wife and I have seen the pictures of the recent tragedy and it both moved us to tears and compelled us to give. There are millions of people whose lives face an imminent and ugly end if they don't get immediate help. There already have been an unbelievable number of children - an entire generation according to some - who have died in their parents arms as both famine and war prevented them from getting help in time.

Honestly, I applaud Huck for taking part in the commercial. No, I don't like the implication that he's using profanity but it's so obvious that he's not using profanity. The "F Word" here is obviously famine. And if I had to choose between having to answer to my Lord for participating in a campaign which some could see as unseemly for a Pastor to be involved in but which served the purpose of helping millions of dying people or answering to Him for refusing to help the effort because of what church folks will say and think, I'd choose the former. The purpose of the ad is to get your attention and I'd say from that point of view, it was effective.

Now, whatever you think about the ad, now that it's gotten your attention, please stop what you're doing and take time to give!!! It's a much more noble cause than giving to any politician.

http://www.rescue.org/drought-east-africa
https://american.redcross.org/site/SPageServer?s_subsrc=RCO_BigRedButton&pagename=ntld_main&s_src=RSG000000000

Post by TheValuesVoter has received Likes: 3 justgrace, QuoVadisAnima, WhatsNotToLike?