Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:11 am 
***** General

Liked: 247
Quote:
"On his radio show Wednesday afternoon, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee suggested that new gun control efforts could bear similarities to how pre-Nazi Germany devolved into a brutal dictatorship."

Audio here:

http://www.westernjournalism.com/huckab ... the-truth/

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:51 pm 
***** General

Liked: 31
All for 2nd amendment rights, but disagree w/ G.H. (and most of G.O.P) on gun contol issue. NO CIVILLAN should be allowed to own a MILITARY style assault weapon.....

Post by steves Liked by: TheValuesVoter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:57 pm 
***** General

Liked: 225
steves wrote:
All for 2nd amendment rights, but disagree w/ G.H. (and most of G.O.P) on gun contol issue. NO CIVILLAN should be allowed to own a MILITARY style assault weapon.....

First of all, how are you defining military style? Or assault weapon? Respectfully, I don't know how all for the 2nd amendment you are if you don't recognize an infringement in what you're advocating.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:41 pm 
***** General

steves wrote:

Chistopher Wilkerson brought up a great point: what exactly is a "military style assault weapon"? When that term is used, it is usually in reference to an AR-15. What most people imagine about "military style assault weapons", in reality, isn't what they think. The things that make them "military style" are simply cosmetic features that don't make them any different functionally than a standard hunting rifle. To be clear, fully automatic weapons have been illegal in this country for many years. People calling for a ban on "military style assault weapons" don't seem to realize this. Sean Hannity did a great educational piece on types of weapons available to gun owners. I highly recommend watching and learning! :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:41 am 
***** General

In addition to my post above, I also very highly recommend the following article to gain understanding on the issue. One of the most informative pieces I've seen on this!

http://kontradictions.wordpress.com/201 ... -tell-you/

Excerpt:
Quote:
Creating the Category
or
How Do I Look?

The most important question, of course, is: “What exactly is an assault weapon?”

The term was specifically designed to conjure images of military machine guns, but for those totally unfamiliar with firearms, it should be made clear that automatic weapons (those that fire more than one bullet with each pull of the trigger) are already illegal for the average citizen to own. They are heavily regulated by the federal government, registered with the ATF and very difficult to obtain licenses for. Almost no crime is ever committed with them.

So in 1994, legislators were forced to ask themselves, “What exactly will this ban do away with?” The category of “assault weapon” didn’t actually exist, and this was an opportunity for gun control advocates to create it, to say exactly what they wanted off the streets.

As it turns out, they were mostly opposed to things they saw in movies. Which is to say that most of the features that now defined “assault weapons” had to do with form and not function, totally sidestepping the issue of violent crime altogether. Three quick examples:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:26 am 
***** General

christopher.wilkerson wrote:
steves wrote:

First of all, how are you defining military style? Or assault weapon? Respectfully, I don't know how all for the 2nd amendment you are if you don't recognize an infringement in what you're advocating.

Acceptable/Necessary: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=single+s ... =150&ty=27
Unacceptable/Unnecessary: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=bushmast ... =110&ty=71

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:41 am 
***** General

steves wrote:
christopher.wilkerson wrote:
steves wrote:

Acceptable/Necessary: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=single+s ... =150&ty=27
Unacceptable/Unnecessary: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=bushmast ... =110&ty=71

Steves, please tell me specifically what makes the Bushmaster "unacceptable/unnecessary" in your opinion?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:31 pm 
***** General

ColoradoMom4Huckabee wrote:

Steves, please tell me specifically what makes the Bushmaster "unacceptable/unnecessary" in your opinion?[/quote]
Might be faster for you to tell me what makes it necessary.......surely not hunting?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:53 pm 
***** General

Liked: 225
Those weapons basically have the same function, one just looks meaner than the other. 8) Are you saying that all semi-automatics are unnecessary? The 97d single shot you gave as an example as acceptable may be wholly inadequate for home defense. I mean, what if you miss with that one shot? Hurry and reload, or just pray the cops get to you before the intruder is done murdering you?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:32 pm 
***** General

Liked: 525
Hey, folks, I'll jump into the debate here. In general, I don't care what type of gun anyone owns as long as they're not criminals and not mentally unstable or otherwise demonstrating an imminent threat to he safety of other people (such as people who have domestic restraining orders against them). I am a lot less interested in the idea of banning certain types of guns as I am of having background checks in place to make sure that people who buy any type of gun are not criminals, insane or are stalking people. I do support the Second Amendment and respect the rights of gun owners who take their responsibility seriously, as a huge majority of gun owners do.

What I don't understand is the objection to closing the background check loopholes. It shouldn't be possible for a person who has a history of criminal violence or serious mental instability to bypass background checks by buying the weapon over the Internet, through the newspaper or at a gun show. Can someone please educate me on what the objection is to making sure that people who buy guns from any seller are people who meet the existing legal requirements for owning them?