Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:41 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 340
Quote:
Two minutes that show Mike Huckabee’s great promise as a presidential candidate

By Chris Cillizza May 1 at 10:03 AM

Mike Huckabee is going to run for president in 2016. While he won't make that official until next Tuesday, he released a two-minute video on Friday that both previews the themes on which he will run and shows why he may be the most underrated candidate in the field.

The video, which was produced by likely Huckabee campaign consultant Bob Wickers, tells the story of the former Arkansas governor's political life -- from his election in "Bill Clinton's Arkansas" to his decade leading the state. Watch the whole video. But here's the CliffsNotes version on why it works:

1. Huckabee as Clinton kryptonite. Within the first 12 seconds of the video, there are two images of the Clintons shown on screen. In one, Bill and Hillary are holding hands across a plane aisle. In the other, Bill is watching, unhappily, as Huckabee speaks. "You had all of the apparatus of the Democratic Party aligned against Mike Huckabee.... All of a sudden this Republican comes out of nowhere and wins," recounts Rex Nelson of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. The message is clear: I beat the Clintons once, and I can do it again. It's worth noting here that Huckabee didn't actually ever beat the Clintons; he was lieutenant governor in 1996 when Gov. Jim Guy Tucker, a Clinton confidant, resigned. Huckabee assumed the governor's office. Still, for a party that sees the formidable figure of Hillary Clinton waiting in the general election, Huckabee's message that he knows how to beat these people has the potential to be potent.

2. He's an actual Southern populist.

Read the rest at http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/05/01/two-minutes-that-show-mike-huckabees-promise-as-a-presidential-candidate/

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:02 pm 
***** General

Liked: 653
The video is a strong opening play. I think its goals were:

1.) To provide a defense for Huckabee’s record in Arkansas where he did compromise with the Democratic legislature. These compromises were used by his intra-state rival Jack Stephens to set the “liberal Mike” narrative in 2007 with Club for Growth as the main agent. Expect it again. The video tries to visually burn the image of the overwhelming power of the Democratic machine that Huckabee faced as governor (which does have the added benefit of actually being true).

2.) To secure title to the “fighter” image, especially regarding taking on the machine of the Clintons. Walker, Cruz, and Paul, all have reasonable claims to the title of “fighter.” Huck needs to get in that game especially as his charm, and good humor can be seen by some as a reluctance to “fight.” Can the “preacher” be a “fighter?” The video puts forward a reasonable defense that he can and has in the past.

3.) To present his main campaign argument. The lower working class no longer has a reasonable shot at bettering their condition. This is a betrayal of the American Dream generally, and the Republican Party’s stated goals. This implies he know the reasons and has proposals to solve the problem. He need no address that in his opening statement. He also touches on the fact that he, none-the-less did rise from rags to riches.

4.) To align himself with the more hawkish elements in foreign policy.

5.) To escape the social conservative ghetto. This is done through silence. What he does not say speaks volumes. No word on social issues. Huckabee is likely the only true contender (and yes, I do think him a true contender) who has such a reserve of trust and name recognition on social conservative issues that he can say nothing without raising doubts as to his comittment. Ironically, Huckabee may be able to say less, even in the primaries, on abortion or SSM then the others.

It’s a good opening move and an indicator that Huckabee knows his own strengths, weaknesses, and battles where he gains nothing even by winning.

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Post by Southern Doc Liked by: Peter

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:06 pm 
***** General

Liked: 225
Southern Doc wrote:

It’s a good opening move and an indicator that Huckabee knows his own strengths, weaknesses, and battles where he gains nothing even by winning.

I agree and I loved the video. I am wondering if Cilizza is right by saying that Huckabee still won't be competitive with fund raising and organization. Isn't it too early? Surely it will be much better than last time.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:08 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
christopher.wilkerson wrote:
Southern Doc wrote:

I agree and I loved the video. I am wondering if Cilizza is right by saying that Huckabee still won't be competitive with fund raising and organization. Isn't it too early? Surely it will be much better than last time.

Agree with the analysis. Very well done. It is a good opening move that plays on Huckabee's great strengths and accomplishments, those often not noted by the press, which will be hard for his opponents to outdo.

One powerful point Huckabee makes in this video is one I had never known. During his governorship the average family income in Arkansas was raised by 50%. How was this accomplished? That should appeal strongly to a wide array of voters, and even make some get out to vote, perhaps.