Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:25 am 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 340
Quote:
Huckabee undecided on attending Iowa Straw Poll
Kathy A. Bolten May 19, 2015

Mike Huckabee on Tuesday said he hasn't yet decided whether to participate in the Iowa Republican Party's presidential straw poll in August.

Huckabee, a GOP presidential contender, placed second in the straw poll in 2007; a few months later he won the Iowa caucuses.

"Every campaign needs to decide for itself what the best use of their resources is," said Huckabee, during a campaign stop in Johnston.

Huckabee, in a 2011 interview with The Hill, chided former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and then-Texas Gov. Rick Perry for skipping the summer event. At the time, he said the straw poll shows a candidate's ability to organize and sell his or her message.

Participating in the straw poll requires candidates to spend money and while the Iowa Republican Party no longer is charging candidates for space at the event, it's still an investment of money, Huckabee said Tuesday.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/elections/presidential/caucus/2015/05/19/mike-huckabee-iowa-straw-poll-attendance/27604303/

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:34 am 
Lieutenant General

It seems like Huckabee and his campaign decided trying to compete in the straw poll was not worth the risk.

Huckabee says he'll skip Iowa straw poll
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/05/21/gop-candidate-mike-huckabee-says-hell-skip-iowa-straw-poll/?intcmp=latestnews

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:51 am 
Lieutenant General

Huckabee's op ed in the Des Moines Register:

Huckabee: My focus is on Iowa caucuses – not straw poll
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/opinion/columnists/caucus/2015/05/21/mike-huckabee-focus-iowa-caucuses-iowa-straw-poll/27676649/

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:00 pm 
***** General

Liked: 225
I wonder if this is evidence of the Huckabee campaign's increased focus on the southern states. Instead of the straw poll, Huckabee will be in GA speaking at the Redstate Gathering (I heard Erick Erickson mention on the radio today that he would be talking to Gov. Huckabee about a speaking time on Sat. 8/8).

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:26 am 
Lieutenant General

christopher.wilkerson wrote:
I wonder if this is evidence of the Huckabee campaign's increased focus on the southern states. Instead of the straw poll, Huckabee will be in GA speaking at the Redstate Gathering (I heard Erick Erickson mention on the radio today that he would be talking to Gov. Huckabee about a speaking time on Sat. 8/8).

I think it is evidence that the Gov is not putting all his cards on winning Iowa / that winning Iowa is not centrally necessary to his strategy.

Red Staters usually aren't super sympathetic of Gov. Huckabee though...

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:51 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
Quote:
Conservative and hard-working Iowans want a strong and principled conservative Republican nominee for president who represents their values. I have concluded this year's Iowa straw poll will serve only to weaken conservative candidates and further empower the Washington ruling class and their hand-picked candidates.

History will repeat itself if we don't learn from the past. It's clear that pitting conservative candidates with limited resources against each other in a non-binding and expensive summer straw poll battle, while allowing billionaire-backed establishment candidates to sit out, will only wound and weaken the conservative candidates who best represent conservative and hard-working Iowans.

The quote from the Des Moines Register explains a few reasons the Iowa Straw Poll is becoming increasingly irrelevant and perhaps harmful to the conservative cause.

Huckabee and his team are revisiting and reexamining each strategy under a magnifying glass and listening to advice of those who know. It appears that he wants to avoid what has become one of the most damaging things about the current scene at the Iowa Straw Poll: a host of good conservative candidates, spending their time, energy, and resources in attacking one another. That time, energy, and money ought to be spent on defeating the establishment. With Jeb Bush not in the game in Iowa straw polling, there is really no one he wishes to openly oppose. This may be brilliant, if it is not fatal.

Quote:
If conservatives are divided and we lose the Iowa caucuses next year, there will be no winners.

Past winners in recent straw polls didn't result in caucus victories, and we want to dedicate our resources and focus our volunteers in Iowa towards the caucuses, which matter greatly in determining our next president. And if you question how important the Iowa caucuses really are, just ask our last Republican president or the current Democratic one, who both won the Iowa caucuses on their way to the White House.

We know how important it is for Iowans to pick a principled conservative to launch the next Republican president. Iowans have a tremendously influential role in deciding who the best Republican candidate is to defeat Hillary Clinton and save this great republic. I will continue to work hard to earn each Iowan's vote so we can forever bury the empty promise of "Hope and Change" and empower every American to go from "Hope to Higher Ground." - Huckabee

We have to remember that the Iowa Straw Poll is an activity and function of the Iowa Republican Party. It is a fund-raiser. And a way to get national attention. I did love attending the last one and helping with the HuckPAC booth, but the chosen winner--Michelle Bachman--did not go far in the presidential contest. The Huckabee Show was broadcast that night from the poll site in Ames, and she was a guest. It was evident the respect Huckabee had for her and others who came as guests. I think it is a combination: He does not want to hurt his friends (there will be opportunity enough to face off in the debates), and it is not necessarily a very wise way to get publicity and spend money.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:23 pm 
***** General

Liked: 215
I think if Huck were an asterisk in the polls like he was in 2008, he'd be all in for the straw poll. As one of the top tier candidates from the start this time though, he realizes that he has far more to lose with a poor showing than he has to gain with a strong showing. This is just smart strategy.

ATTENTION GUESTS: Thanks for checking out our Discussion Forum. Before you go, please take a minute to click on the image below and get registered to join the discussion. You'll enjoy all the perks, such as being able to track which posts you've read already. It will also allow us to contact you with important news and information. Plus, we'd just love to hear what you have to say!

MEMBERS: Want to put the "Get Registered" image in your signature? Learn how here.

______________________Image______________________

Post by cschande Liked by: christopher.wilkerson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:37 am 
Lieutenant General

I like how Huckabee manages to stay on top of prisky situations. Of course some in the Iowa GOP will have been very disappointed that the Iowa straw poll didn't happen (huge party fundraiser). But to suggest that Gov. Huckabee killed it in a 16-candidate field just shows how important Gov. Huckabee is or that only a few of the candidates really wanted the straw poll in the first place (more likely).

Quote:
Thursday morning in Des Moines, Huckabee chuckled when asked about Kaufmann’s comments. “Gosh, I didn’t know I was that powerful,” Huckabee said, “I mean, I never knew. I’m grateful for the attention if I’m personally responsible.”

Huckabee then poked fun at the statement by pointing out the enormity of the current Republican presidential field. He said, “There are 17 candidates running for president. And if I singularly killed the Straw Poll, then you should go ahead and declare me the caucus winner, because that is a heckuva punch I must carry.”

http://whotv.com/2015/07/30/state-chair-calls-huckabees-no-go-low-blow-huckabee-laughs-heckuva-punch/