Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:12 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 340
Quote:
Huckabee Aims for Seniors with Social Security Pitch in Florida
Zeke J Miller 10:46 AM ET

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee delivered a strong defense of government safety net programs for seniors at a candidate forum in Florida Tuesday, aiming for retired voters in a state rich with them.

While former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie have called for raising the retirement age and means-testing Social Security benefits, Huckabee called those proposals “absolutely ridiculous.”

“Unlike some in Washington who want to cut benefits for seniors, I will protect Social Security and Medicare. Period,” the former Fox News host said at the forum organized by sitting Florida Gov. Rick Scott. “These programs are not entitlements they are earned benefits. The government took that money from you involuntarily when you started working – with the promise that you’d get that money back when you retire. For the government to even think about breaking that promise is absolutely ridiculous.”

In April, Christie proposed a plan that would gradually raise the retirement age to 67 for Medicare and 69 for Social Security, while phasing out payments for those with retirement incomes over $200,000. In an interview with CBS’s Face the Nation Sunday, Bush called for a raising the retirement age and said he was open to means-testing.

http://time.com/3904916/mike-huckabee-social-security/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:22 pm 
Sergeant

Liked: 45
Somebody please help me.

I am in no way in favor of Jeb Bush or Chris Christie in any way. They are the two worst candidates running for the Republican nomination I can forsee almost no instance where I would vote for either of them in the general election. I would vote third party or pass over the box for President.

But, while I understand Governor Huckabee's position, I fear he has backed himself into a corner here. I think a gradual raising of the retirement age for younger Americans (say 45 and under, I am 41 therefore I am willing to accept this, I don't plan on retiring at 65 anyway), and means-testing are conservative, logical ways to reduce the burden of these programs.

I agree that social security and medicare are not entitlements, they are promises made that should be kept, but with people living longer and capable of working 5-6 more years, doesn't it make sense to gradually raise the retirement age 3-4 years over the next 30-40 years?

And, let's suppose that he is able to get the Fairtax implemented, Then we are no longer paying into this program with our paychecks, and in fact, they become entitlements. Would he then be in favor of raising the retirement age and means-testing?

I believe that raising the retirement age on younger americans is not breaking a promise. It is recognizing that to balance the budget long term, we need to make serious changes to the trajectory of spending on the so-called fixed costs of government.

I understand his message and that he is targeting seniors and working Americans, but we must be fiscally responsible.

Help, what am I missing here

Follower of Christ,Husband to Julia,
Father of Ezekiel, Grace and Nehemiah,
Pastor of Pathway Church
Bus Driver at First Student

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
I would think we should go after Welfare spending first, government waste next, then the IRS with its corruption (done by implementing the Fair Tax and abolishing the IRS). The latter would bring a trillion dollars back from offshore accounts, from people who are evading and avoiding paying taxes.

The Social Security program was something we have paid into, like a savings account we expect to be there years later. I can agree with this. Hopefully others will see it this way.