Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:54 am 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 340
Huckabee is the only Republican candidate that seems to have some kind of credibility with these groups.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/huckabee-courts-big-labors-support/article/2568094

Huckabee courts Big Labor's support
Quote:
Mike Huckabee will be the sole 2016 Republican presidential candidate to address a meeting of the AFL-CIO's executive council later this month, the labor federation said in an announcement. He will be joining most declared Democratic candidates at the private event.

The meeting, which the AFL-CIO has dubbed the "Raising Wages Agenda," will allow top labor leaders to press the candidates on their support of union issues, with trade reportedly being the top concern. The sessions will likely be key to determining who the federation backs in the upcoming election and to what extent.

"The labor movement's doors are open to any candidate who is serious about transforming our economy with high and rising wages. We want to talk to candidates who will deliver and who we can trust to always be on the side of all working people. We want to know who is ready to think and act big enough to seize this historic opportunity," AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka said in the announcement.

Huckabee has long shown an inclination towards economic populism. The former Arkansas governor is the only GOP candidate of any stature to have opposed the recently-passed Trade Promotion Authority legislation, which labor heavily lobbied Democrats to oppose.

In a May statement, Huckabee argued he was not opposed to free trade itself but that President Obama's agenda was nevertheless bad for workers and the economy, criticisms similar to the ones labor leaders made against the legislation.

"We don't create good jobs for Americans by entering into unbalanced trade deals that forgo congressional scrutiny and ignore the law only to import low-wage labor, undercut American workers, and drive wages lower than the Dead Sea," Huckabee said.

Other previously revealed participants at the meeting, which will be held in Silver Spring, Md., on July 29-30, will include Democratic candidates Hillary Clinton, Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., and former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:05 pm 
***** General

Liked: 225
I think most of big labor is infiltrated by communists. I think Trumka especially is a bad dude.

Quote:
"Scott Walker is a national disgrace," AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka said in the entirety of his statement on Walker's entry into the race.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/richard- ... z3fuQCrkHn

I wonder why Huckabee thinks he has a chance with these folks? What will his message to them be? Maybe he is following Reagan's model of engaging and supporting the blue collar union workers.

Of course with everyone fawning over Scott Walker, maybe Huckabee thinks he can pacify the unions so that they beat up on his opponents and let him slide.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:15 am 
Lieutenant General

christopher.wilkerson wrote:
I think most of big labor is infiltrated by communists. I think Trumka especially is a bad dude.

Quote:
"Scott Walker is a national disgrace," AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka said in the entirety of his statement on Walker's entry into the race.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/richard- ... z3fuQCrkHn

I wonder why Huckabee thinks he has a chance with these folks? What will his message to them be? Maybe he is following Reagan's model of engaging and supporting the blue collar union workers.

Of course with everyone fawning over Scott Walker, maybe Huckabee thinks he can pacify the unions so that they beat up on his opponents and let him slide.

I think it's less about the labor "bosses" than about the labor "people" for Huckabee.

Post by Peter has received Likes: 2 juditupp, justgrace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:22 pm 
Major General

Liked: 147
Peter wrote:
I think it's less about the labor "bosses" than about the labor "people" for Huckabee.

Absolutely! By going to this event and speaking he's telling the "regular Joes" that are union members that he cares about their concerns. He'll never get an official AFL-CIO endorsement or any campaign funds from their coffers but he can get some of the "Reagan Democrats" to vote for him. I know there are a few older people at my church that are registered Democrats, support unions and even voted for Obama because of labor/economic issues. If a solid conservative can appeal to those voters he will have a better chance of beating Clinton in the general.

Post by juditupp Liked by: justgrace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:40 pm 
***** General

Liked: 225
Flash back to 07: Huckabee Wins NH Teacher's Union Endorsement

Quote:
Mike Huckabee made news - and history - Tuesday when the New Hampshire affiliate of the National Education Association endorsed him for president in the upcoming primary - the first time it ever recommended a GOP candidate. (It picked Hillary Clinton on the Democratic side - no surprise there.) His support from teachers stems partly from his policy views (opposition to vouchers and support for art and music education, which he calls "weapons of mass instruction") and partly from his outreach efforts (this summer he addressed the NEA convention - the first Republican presidential candidate ever to do so - plus he met personally with the New Hampshire union).
I don't think this accurately reflects Huckabee's position on vouchers though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:00 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
I agree. Governor Huckabee is willing to listen and engage. This attitude of respect and reasonableness gains favor even among those who do not agree with his positions on the issues. He was able to win a considerable percentage of the black vote as governor in Arkansas. And of Democrats. He says one of the Republicans' biggest problems in winning the black vote, for example, is that they do not go to their meetings and ask for it. Too many Republicans count them out without trying. But Governor Huckabee has the confidence and courage to go into, if not a hostile crowd, one that may not fundamentally agree much on the issues, and often he can convince them to move a bit more to his side.

Post by justgrace Liked by: Peter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:22 pm 
Lieutenant General

Read Gov. Huckabee's reasoning for going to the AFL-CIO executive council meeting:

http://linkis.com/JN1Ci

Where Other Republicans Fear To Tread: Why I Spoke To The AFL-CIO

Quote:
In my campaign for president, I go where other Republicans fear to tread. I’ve addressed Hispanic leaders in Texas, African-American churchgoers in South Carolina, and this week I’m the only Republican candidate to speak at the AFL-CIO’s executive council meeting.

Many on the right and left ask, “Why does Huckabee go there?”

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:59 am 
Lieutenant General

The New York Times reports on Huckabee's visit there:

Mike Huckabee Courts Labor in Rare Appearance by a Republican Candidate
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/07/29/mike-huckabee-courts-labor-in-rare-appearance-by-a-republican-candidate/?_r=0