Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:18 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 340
I think this fits in with his position on Social Security and it makes sense to me. Although I don't like the Renewable Fuel Standard.

In Iowa, Mike Huckabee backs federal fuel mandate

Quote:
“Some people say, ‘Well that is not a very conservative position.’ Folks, let me tell you what’s not conservative position. A conservative position says that if the government tells people to do something and spend millions and millions of dollars and infrastructure to follow a new government mandate, and they do it, and then the same government comes back and pulls the rug out from under them and says, ‘Well, we are not going to do that anymore,’” he said. “You’ve just messed up a whole lot of people who made the investment because they trusted their government.”

Full article: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/aug/13/iowa-mike-huckabee-backs-federal-fuel-mandate/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:51 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
The Governor was in Iowa, after all. Corn capital!

Quote:
“Some people say, ‘Well that is not a very conservative position.’ Folks, let me tell you what’s not conservative position. A conservative position says that if the government tells people to do something and spend millions and millions of dollars and infrastructure to follow a new government mandate, and they do it, and then the same government comes back and pulls the rug out from under them and says, ‘Well, we are not going to do that anymore,’” he said. “You’ve just messed up a whole lot of people who made the investment because they trusted their government.” [Or had little choice in the matter.]

The Renewable Fuel Standard, or RFS, has required corn-based ethanol to be blended into almost every gallon of gasoline sold in the U.S.

Speaking as farmers, my husband and I can attest to the frustration with government programs in general. We are put in a position in farming of having to participate in the government Farm Service Agency process of registering acres, verifying crops planted in each field, proving past yields, etc. in order to make any money and stay in business.

This takes days every season, measuring and making sure each field is accurate, signing up by a deadline date at the right office--at the penalty of lost income for mistakes, or even legal penalties being laid against you if they think your mistake was deliberate or too large.

USDA is but slightly better than the IRS. And lest you think the farmers are milking the system and not working for their pay, consider the fact that only about 10% of the Agriculture budget goes to farmers. Most goes for food stamps and other government food aid, such as free lunches at school. And every farmer feeds on average over 125 people, giving Americans among the lowest percent of per capita income, anywhere, that is spent on food.

We would rather get our income from a more free market, but we also have commodities traders in the game, fixing prices. Farmers are at the bottom of the totem pole, getting all the costs of the industry passed down to them, including paying whatever is charged for transportation, and taking the grain prices the elevator decides are fair (after deductions for quality, etc.). And then there is the weather, an uncertain variable each year.

So I find Cruz' position a bit naive, uncaring, and self-righteous, though he doesn't mean to be:
Quote:
The issue has divided the GOP field. Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas has been one of the most vocal opponents of the mandate, saying Washington should not be in the business of picking winners and losers.

In this case, the government has already offered incentives for ethanol plants to be built and for farmers to sell their corn at a higher price. We have seen plants going broke because they change the rules year by year. It is a great hardship for farmers or cooperatives to have government promise or even mandate a certain fuel, and then pull the rug out on the company or farmer groups before the plant is even paid for. In general, I agree that government should not pick winners and losers. I would think Gov. Huckabee's ideas are better: trying to promote "maximum wages," not "minimum wages," through better policies like implementing the FairTax, and shrinking government programs, or eliminating some federal departments.

And I guess I am not conservative if I think these big government programs should be carefully examined and reduced, not just chopped regardless of effect, particularly on those who are working as hard as farmers are to stay in business and provide for the feed and fuel needs of America. Who was it that left farmers dangling all year long, not passing a farm bill until December? We were figuring our income tax deductions last December, and we could not plan if we wanted to make a late machinery purchase to lower our income for tax. Well, they finally gave us that deduction, but removed it two weeks later, before we had time to plan and purchase needed equipment. What about that, Senator Cruz and others? Where is the Congress in being "responsible"? I hold you accountable, too.

There has to be a better way of downsizing government than to slash and burn.

Post by justgrace has received Likes: 3 goalieman, juditupp, Miranda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:08 pm 
Major General

Liked: 147
When the Independence institute (a libertarian think tank based here in CO) addresses medicaid and other govt assistance programs they never suggest just eliminating them. Instead they have a ton of really interesting proposals that would move the programs closer to the recipients through state grants and converting them to voucher programs that allow recipients to participate in the market. In the same way government intervention in agriculture needs to be phased out slowly so that people who are just trying to function in the system the way it is don't suffer. I think that Huckabee understands that and that's what can help him to win centrist voters in a general election.

Post by juditupp Liked by: justgrace