Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:23 pm 
Captain

Liked: 81
These people never learn. :wall-yellow

Quote:
Huckabee: ‘Disappointing’ Perkins and Co. Are Backing Cruz
by TIM ALBERTA
December 16, 2015 5:15 PM
Las Vegas

Mike Huckabee, a longtime ally of Tony Perkins and other conservative leaders who last week secretly voted to endorse Ted Cruz for president, says it’s “disappointing” the group decided to back a relative newcomer like Cruz.

In a brief interview here following Tuesday’s Republican presidential debate, Huckabee says he was made aware of the group’s decision, but wasn’t given any explanation.

“For reasons I don’t fully understand, years and years of actually doing something and getting things done didn’t matter,” Huckabee said of the group’s deliberations. ”And I don’t understand that.”

Perkins said in an interview last fall that he ultimately expected the competition for the support of conservative movement leaders to come down to Cruz versus Huckabee, both of whom have personal friendships with the Family Research Council president and had already begun courting prominent activists ahead of their 2016 bids.

The former Arkansas governor has longstanding ties to the social conservative movement, which in 2008 helped him win Iowa and become a household name in Republican politics. Much of that support was expected to carry over into the 2016 campaign. But enthusiasm for Huckabee diminished over the summer as he struggled to raise money and faded in the polls. In the end, Marco Rubio supplanted Huckabee as Cruz’s chief rival for the group’s backing, but failed to prevent the Texas senator from winning a 75 percent supermajority.

Huckabee, according to sources, has often reminded Perkins and his fellow influencers that a major reason he gave up his Fox News show and launched a 2016 campaign was because he expected to have their backing. Their decision to instead support Cruz, then, seemed to sting Huckabee personally as much as politically.

“You know, everybody has a right to do what they want to do. But it was disappointing to me. These are guys I’ve worked with for years and years. Many of them I’ve helped with their projects and their various endeavors,” Huckabee says, shaking his head. A moment later, he adds, “But you know, that’s life.”

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/428633/huckabee-disappointing-perkins-and-co-are-backing-cruz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:36 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 340
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly Perkins was out to strike a deal with Romney in '08 instead of supporting Huckabee, so I am not entirely surprised.

I do like Huckabee's spirit though:
Quote:
“You know, everybody has a right to do what they want to do. But it was disappointing to me. These are guys I’ve worked with for years and years. Many of them I’ve helped with their projects and their various endeavors,” Huckabee says, shaking his head. A moment later, he adds, “But you know, that’s life.”

This shows Gov. Huckabee takes personal relationships seriously, but isn't crushed if someone abandons him or doesn't meet the expected.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
Peter wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly Perkins was out to strike a deal with Romney in '08 instead of supporting Huckabee, so I am not entirely surprised.

I do like Huckabee's spirit though:
Quote:

This shows Gov. Huckabee takes personal relationships seriously, but isn't crushed if someone abandons him or doesn't meet the expected.

Gov. Huckabee is the adult in the room, certainly. I am amazed at his mature and philosophical attitude, but it surely must sting. I can't quite understand Cruz' appeal to these leaders. As Huckabee says, Cruz has not accomplished much of anything in Washington D.C., and Huckabee has worked very hard with these leaders over the years. I don't understand what is happening, except that evidently money reigns supreme. We will need to work that much harder on our grassroots efforts. There is time if we use every opportunity to contact neighbors, etc. to explain why to support Huckabee. He is a David against a Goliath and can win with God's help.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:02 am 
***** General

Liked: 275
The bottomline in politics is: money talks. For all the platitudes we hear from many so-called evangelical "leaders" (funny, I never got a vote on who I wanted in that role), they go where the money looks to be. Maybe it's because of this unprincipled leadership that we seem to lose on so many issues of importance?

Post by goalieman Liked by: Miranda