Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:19 pm 
Private

Liked: 0
Looks like CNN really set Mike up for some bad press here:

CNN Political Ticker: Huckabee jokes about Obama ducking a gunman

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... -a-gunman/

Quote:
From CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

(CNN) – During a speech before the National Rifle Association convention Friday afternoon in Louisville, Kentucky, former Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee — who has endorsed presumptive GOP nominee John McCain — joked that an unexpected offstage noise was Democrat Barack Obama looking to avoid a gunman.

“That was Barack Obama, he just tripped off a chair, he's getting ready to speak,” said the former Arkansas governor, to audience laughter. “Somebody aimed a gun at him and he dove for the floor.”

Obama supports extending the assault weapons ban, limits on gun sales, and a national law against carrying concealed weapons, with exceptions for retired police and military personnel. John McCain – whose legislative record was awarded a C+ rating by the NRA in 2004, but has received a perfect score – will address the group later Friday afternoon. His speech will include remarks "on the issue of unconditional negotiation with state sponsors of terror" that aides tell CNN’s Dana Bash are a direct response to Obama’s comments earlier Friday.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:22 pm 
***** General

Liked: 215
Maybe so, but I actually think he is in a good position on the gun issue and Barack is not. Pretty funny line by Mike! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:23 pm 
***** General

Liked: 4
I hope there is some context around this. Being that we are in a PC world, if Mike did say this he should have known better. I'm not getting the joke from the "snippet" posted. Something seems to be missing. Can someone fill me in?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:30 pm 
***** General

It was a reference to Barack's comments about working class people being bitter and clinging to their faith in God and in their guns. He was implying that Obama is probably afraid of gun owners/advocates.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:34 pm 
Private

keneikirk's
Quote:
It was a reference to Barack's comments about working class people being bitter and clinging to their faith in God and in their guns. He was implying that Obama is probably afraid of gun owners/advocates.

Thanks keneikirk! I believe that's exactly where Mike was coming from.

It's sad to see people, probably a minority of bloggers, looking at any chance to discredit Mike and put him down....:(

Mike will probably have to expand on his joke or maybe even apologize in order to get beyond this. Maybe he will do this on Meet the Press Sunday morning.?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:42 pm 
***** General

Liked: 190
If this is all people are worried about (a joke) we are in real trouble here. There are so many issues out there and the press is concentrating on trying to enter competition with The National Enquirer!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:50 pm 
***** General

keneikirk wrote:

LLLLLOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL!!!

Now that was funny!!

Thanks. I've been reading some other blogs where this is posted and if you don't mind I will post your response as a comment to see if others see it the same way. I don't want to rip you off without telling you.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:51 pm 
***** General

Sure, if it is helpful.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:58 pm 
***** General

The problem is... there is a very real chance that some nutjob will want to assinate him if he really secures the nomination.

Also.. Mike really needs to be careful of what he says if he's really in the running for veep.

Obama's hyper sensitive support and dems in general, will not take kindly to jokes made at their candidates expense... as i'm sure the comments section will reveal *sigh*

His maiden, singing a victory song for faith, family and freedom
http://maidensong.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:04 pm 
Major

I've just read the comments on this CNN ticker (which are now closed); almost everyone of the commentors were appalled and shocked that Mike would say something like this. Many say they had respect for Mike, but now they have lost it. I hope this gets over soon, because if this gets any bigger, it could be really bad for Mike.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:05 pm 
General

I was concerned when first reading the CNN article -- not knowing the full context. The reason for concern was that there was already a user banned from Hannitys website some time ago talking about assassination. If you google it you may still see the thread.

But know I understand knowing the context. I pray all our leaders will be safe.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:09 pm 
***** General

Liked: 31
Whatever the context........this was a mistake (hopefully not too costly)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:12 pm 
***** General

I am so upset right now.. I feel in my gut this is bad.. bad enough to cost Mike the veep spot

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:16 pm 
Major

tpetersel wrote:
I am so upset right now.. I feel in my gut this is bad.. bed enough to cost Mike the veep spot

I agree! McCain can't afford mistakes from the VP - there is too much against him as it is!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:19 pm 
***** General

tpetersel wrote:
I am so upset right now.. I feel in my gut this is bad.. bed enough to cost Mike the veep spot

If Obama can survive "Bitter-Gate", "typical white person", "Jermiah Wrong", "punnished with a baby". Then Huck could survive this. It may have been a joke in poor taste; but it's a joke nevertheless. I've heard worse things on the late night talk shows. So, let's just wait and see what happens. Mike was never assured of a VP spot anyways so you can't loose what you never had.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:19 pm 
Private

Quote:

tpetersel I believe you are right.

I pray this situation will be a turning point for Mike. I know Mike made some off hand remarks during the primaries that added fuel to the fire of hatred toward him.

I pray that Mike will be more careful in the future and not make the same mistakes twice.

Mike has been gaining a lot of respect and relevance lately, and I believe if he can learn and get beyond this that he will flourish as a good force for political change.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:20 pm 
General

Other websites are reporting as well:

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/05/16/h ... oot-obama/

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:22 pm 
***** General

tdavisjr wrote:
tpetersel wrote:

If Obama can survive "Bitter-Gate", "typical white person", "Jermiah Wrong", "punnished with a baby". Then Huck could survive this. It may have been a joke in poor taste; but it's a joke nevertheless. I've heard worse things on the late night talk shows. So, let's just wait and see what happens. Mike was never assured of a VP spot anyways so you can't loose what you never had.

:( Maybe.. It's the same feeling I got with the Mormon question...and that NEVEr went away. Mike will probably issue an apology quickly though...

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:26 pm 
General

Should we move this to the Green Room in case we have guests? Would not want anything taken out of context.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:34 pm 
***** General

tpetersel wrote:
tdavisjr wrote:
tpetersel wrote:

:( Maybe.. It's the same feeling I got with the Mormon question...and that NEVER went away. Mike will probably issue an apology quickly though...