Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Voting for Trig" (RCP)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:09 pm 
***** General

Liked: 40
I have submitted this article
http://averticalview.blogspot.com/2008/11/voting-for-trig.html
from my political blog to RCP:
http://readerarticles.realclearpolitics.com/?period=all
If you think it's worthy, I'd be grateful for your vote there.

Quote:
We were sitting at the kitchen table over breakfast, talking about the election. Spread out across plates of pancakes and syrup was the large, unfolded “Official General Election Sample Ballot.” Two of them, in fact.

My kids were more interested than I had hoped they’d be. But their fascination extended past the first two familiar columns, onto names they had never heard.

“Who are all these people running for president?,” they asked, with some amazement.

We tried to read the tiny print delineating party associations, smaller than anything my reading glasses could decipher. And then they noticed the write-in section.

“You can just type in anybody’s name?” And then they reminded me of a time when I’d threatened to do just that, especially when my first choice finally lost his bid to get the Republican nomination.

It’s a big election we’re having. And I’ve followed it for so long, it’s hard to imagine it’s almost over. I’ve followed issues, learned about policies, read websites, watched news clips, pored over interviews, compared plans, and prayed much. I’ve gotten involved to a deeper level than I ever had before. And now it’s here.

It’s historic, to be sure. The first African-American president – or the first woman vice president. And beyond that – values and ideas and programs and futures.

The economy. Bailouts. Supreme Court Justices. War. Taxes. Polls, polls, and more polls.

It all gets a little dizzying after awhile, even for a political junkie.

I thought of friends and family members, homeschool friends, other Christians, neighbors, and people whose signs declare their intentions. Like the old-time joke about placing an order in a Chinese restaurant, some want Column 1, some want Column 2, some want Column 4 or 5, some want Column 10, and a few even want that mysterious “Write-In Column.” I’ve heard or read their rationale, their arguments, their positions. I respect their decisions, even the ones with which I strongly disagree.

After reading more of the sample ballot, we prayed as a family over this election – for John McCain, Barack Obama, Sarah Palin, and Joe Biden. We prayed for their spouses – Cindy, Michelle, Todd, and Jill. We prayed for their children, too, for as many of the names as I know. And after our “Amen,” I realized with the last bit of certainty just who would receive my vote tomorrow.

Trig.

His name is not on the ballot – not directly. He is the little baby boy of Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin. And he has Down syndrome.

I want Trig to win this election.

More than my views on the economy, more than my stand on the war, more than my concern about the next nominees for the Supreme Court, more than anything else, I realize that there is one issue that rises above and beyond all the others. It’s the one that the framers placed first in that string of inalienable rights worth risking everything for:

Life.

Thanks to increasing medical technology and decreasing values of the preciousness of each human being, there are fewer and fewer Trig Palins in this country. I want Trig Palin to be seen by this nation – learning to walk, starting to talk, living out a normal little-kid life…as normal as any world leader’s child’s can be.

Governor Sarah Palin knew this little boy would have Down syndrome. The usual pro-life philosophy calls tests like amniocentesis ‘search and destroy.’ But then, Sarah is not anyone’s definition of usual. She chose the testing – and then chose life.

I wonder what those first few nights were like when she tried to get to sleep, wondering what to do about this daunting piece of news. She has said she was sad, and a little confused at first. I’m sure she prayed.

She said in an interview that she didn’t blink when Senator John McCain asked her to be his running mate. In the end, she didn’t blink when God asked her to mother Trig Palin.

Trig’s name means ‘strength.’ I think John McCain showed strength, and courage, when he served our country for five and a half years as a Prisoner Of War. Sarah Palin showed strength when she determined that Trig would have a normal life, protected from the culture of death, and built up by the confidence that he is perfect, blessed, and created by a loving Heavenly Father.

Because John McCain chose Sarah, because Sarah chose Trig, I choose them.

Tomorrow, I will vote – proudly, and prayerfully – for the name not seen but profoundly represented on my ballot:

Trig Palin.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:33 pm 
***** General

Liked: 133
I was vote #12, so it's on the main page:

http://readerarticles.realclearpolitics ... eriod=main

Search "trig" in ctrl f to find it easiest!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:49 pm 
Colonel

Liked: 5
#18!

- Governor Mike Huckabee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:36 pm 
General

Liked: 3
Nicely done. #21

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:25 pm 
***** General

Liked: 72

Don't stop writing. :D

"If there was hope, it must lie in the proles..." George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:22 am 
***** General

It has 29 votes now, and could move to the most voted page with just one more vote.
BUMP!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:31 am 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 0
Donna-Jean, thanks for writing so beautifully about this. I have been thinking along those lines, too (along many other lines as well -- but this one, too). I just say, "Lord, have mercy for his sake."

"Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are His. He changes times and seasons; He sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; He knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with Him." (Daniel 2:20-22)

Brooklyn Blessings Blog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:25 am 
***** General

Thanks, everyone.

I've heard lots of people talking about God's justice and His mercy. Those who support McCain say that an Obama win will mean God's justice on this country (I'm sure Obama supporters would have it in reverse!) -

but I keep thinking - it's not about what we 'deserve.' No one deserves mercy - or it wouldn't be mercy. That's kind of the whole point.

And like you, Leslie, I pray 'for the children's sake,' for Trig's sake - for the least of these...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:08 am 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 0
Quote:
for the least of these

Also my thoughts exactly for the past several days...

"Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are His. He changes times and seasons; He sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; He knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with Him." (Daniel 2:20-22)

Brooklyn Blessings Blog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:25 am 
Sergeant

Liked: 1
This is beautifully written. Thank you. I've voted for it, and I've shared it with many friends.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:14 am 
***** General

blestmom wrote:
This is beautifully written. Thank you. I've voted for it, and I've shared it with many friends.

Thank you so much. I am praying that many hearts will be opened this election, in ways we have not seen.

My Dad, who is our pastor, prayed last night during a Christmas choir rehearsal (he also leads the choir - not bad for 72; hey, sounds like a familiar age ;-) ) - that we would clearly see the hand of God in this election.

That's my prayer as I go through this day...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:15 am 
***** General

Now at 34 votes and also on the main page. Oops, meant to say the most voted page
http://readerarticles.realclearpolitics ... eriod=week

you can find it either place

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:23 am 
Captain

Liked: 76
I voted! Now at 35!