Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Direction
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:23 pm 

Liked: 2
We all started following Huck for a variety of reasons.

He brought Arkansas out of being last place in education, infrastructure. Those are his qualities which would appeal to Americans in every corner. He promoted vertical politics and was ready to talk about education. He is articulate and speaks true on pro-life and family issues.

He is clearly honest, genuine and speaks from the heart. Almost too good to be true to be President, but definitely would be a welcome change.

But there's other issues.
UNFORTUNATELY....
- He has an highly rated un-hyped TV program every weekend which has raised his profile
- He spotlights celebrities, athletes, musicians, politicians and others about life in ways to promote conservative values - again- in an appreciable way.
- He has a successful nationwide PAC helping great candidates nationwide. This didn't exist 2 years ago.
- He has our network vouching for these same values.
- God works and will work through this network to enhance American values through the means of communication. That power and the impact Mike can have can be greater than as President.

Nationally, Republicans generally are looking for an inspirational leader, but polls don't show one clear leader yet. One may emerge. One might not. Perhaps God wants a national discernment process, if it is his will, and then may tap Mike later. But, I'm not so sure. but its possible.

What does HucksArmy do now? We seek out those other candidates. We align ourselves with them, as well as with a Presidential nominee. If we fracture, so does our efforts and commonality. Sure, more than one candidate may draw us apart. But in the end hopefully we'll unite behind one nominee. And form that coalition needed to bring in a new leader to speak for us all.

I don't know who that may be. Through God, I believe that person has yet to announce. Mike is at the top of the polls 18 months before the election - which would be a liability in itself to maintain for so long. We may be waiting for a leader with natural abilities to unite, just as we would want in a time of crisis.

If I might suggest one - perhaps Rick Perry - may be the leader we need.

Post by Medic 4 Huck has received Likes: 2 gagoesforhuck, justgrace
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: New Direction
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:38 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 48
I appreciate your thoughts on why we should and need to pick another candidate.... however, I must confess that I think it's a bit too soon to be urging the members of Huck's Army to find a new candidate.

Since the 2007 primaries this board has been all about supporting Gov. Huckabee, and so I think that time should be given to allow us, his loyal supporters, to grieve the loss of a potential (and what we all hoped, dreamed and prayed for) "Huckabee 2012" candidacy.

http://twitter.com/raspberrygirl12
http://roannaj.blogspot.com/

Post by ohiorepublican09 Liked by: Huckabeliever

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
I think we are all grieving. The most healing thing might be to reminisce. I would like to hear some of your stories of how because I believe that Huck's Army are the BPOE (doesn't that stand for Best People on Earth?)

The world will probably scoff at us for again putting our hopes in this man, who has deeply disappointed us with this announcement.

But there is a tomorrow, and I hope we will be able to influence Gov. Huckabee and that he will influence America in a positive way. Maybe not tonight, but tomorrow.

Let's keep Huck's Army going. I do not want to give up this great forum for political thought and debate.

Post by justgrace has received Likes: 3 GrannyT, maryrae, WhatsNotToLike?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:57 pm 
***** General

Liked: 225
What if Huckabee makes yet another shocking announcement tomorrow with Chris Wallace? Maybe he will announce he's running for president of his home-owner's association. :lurk

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

Liked: 42
justgrace wrote:
I think we are all grieving. The most healing thing might be to reminisce. I would like to hear some of your stories of how because I believe that Huck's Army are the BPOE (doesn't that stand for Best People on Earth?)

The world will probably scoff at us for again putting our hopes in this man, who has deeply disappointed us with this announcement.

But there is a tomorrow, and I hope we will be able to influence Gov. Huckabee and that he will influence America in a positive way. Maybe not tonight, but tomorrow.

Let's keep Huck's Army going. I do not want to give up this great forum for political thought and debate.

HucksArmy.com and this forum will still be here. AS for now it is time to pray and get through these next few days and even, yes a few weeks, we still have plenty of time to plan as how best to go forward, and GO FORWARD WE WILL

Post by Hucks Army - Bill has received Likes: 5 gagoesforhuck, GrannyT, IowaforHuckabee, justgrace, WhatsNotToLike?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:23 pm 

Ohio and Bill -

Yes, we will need to grieve, I agree and I'm sorry about my suggestion.

Let's look at how we got here though - dig up old posts. And see how we can further those ideas. That's how we help Mike help candidates who help us all. Its a big circle. Keep the faith.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:18 am 
Site Admin

Hucks Army wrote:
justgrace wrote:

HucksArmy.com and this forum will still be here. AS for now it is time to pray and get through these next few days and even, yes a few weeks, we still have plenty of time to plan as how best to go forward, and GO FORWARD WE WILL

Thank you, Bill, for this assurance. We need a time for prayer. We will go FORWARD because the battles we have to fight for freedom and righteousness are too important to drop the ball.

I would invite all of you to visit our prayer thread here and meditate on some verses God has given us, to give us hope and perspective. I have been taught by the Lord this night and morning, that His ways are not mine, but they are better. And, yes, God did answer prayers. In the future, this will become more clear.

Join us please, in prayer at
http://forum.hucksarmy.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=23913&p=210902#p210902

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:16 am 
*** General

Liked: 115
For those of you who are grieving I understand. This is for those who are ready to move on and find a candidate to support for 2012. Here's the guidelines I used to come to support Huckabee back before he was popular, and why I could tell that he would be a GREAT candidate.

First of all, we want a candidate that we can trust on the pro-life issue. Anyone who has said that they are pro-abortion (Romney) at some point, or has issues with social conservatives (Daniels) is suspect. I also want someone who will make government smaller, so that's something to look for too.

A critical part is finding an electable candidate too. That phrase is thrown around a lot, but how do you know someone is electable? A candidate is more than a list if issues that you can check off. He has to have a likable, charismatic personality in order to attract marginal voters. Huckabee had this, which is what made him such a strong candidate.

How do you find such a candidate though? How I found Huckabee back in 2008 was by looking at polls. He was polling around 5% at the time, so I clearly didn't jump on the bandwagon of the leading candidate. What to look for in the polls then? It's actually quite simple. Look for a candidate who does much better among women than they do among men.

Statistically, men pay much more attention to politics than women do. No honest person can deny this. This means that a lot of marginal, swing voters are women. They're the ones that look at aesthetic things about a candidate, such as their charisma and personality, whereas a lot of men look at a checklist of issues. You have to look at relative polling too, meaning how they poll among women compared to how they poll among men.

For example, if candidate A gets 23% among men and 25% among women, while candidate B gets 3% among men and 7% among women, then candidate B is the more electable candidate. Candidate B probably just has low name recognition. If Candidate B was a well-known (by average people on the street) candidate and still polled that low, then they're just not likable (see Sarah Palin). If they're a relative unknown (like Huckabee was in 2008), then they're probably a good candidate.

I don't know who I'll go with for 2012, but in the months ahead I'll start looking at the internals of polls and share with everyone what I find.

Post by EricB Liked by: Medic 4 Huck

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:47 am 
Major General

Liked: 23
Thanks Eric for sharing your knowledge and insight. Are you assuming the HA web site will continue? If so, I guess in time we will be informed of the intentions and plan for this site by the leaders so I will hang around until then.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:24 am 
***** General

Liked: 4
If you ask me, this forum suffered from a bit of mission creep over the past few years..well since the 2008 elections. It was my understanding that this forum was created in 2007 with the goal of supporting Mike Huckabee in the 2008 Primaries and eventually for POTUS. After the latter didn't happen, it seems like almost immediately it shifted to a campaign for Huckabee 2012 (even during the general election), when the goal should have been to defeat Obama.

What should have happened is that there should have been a revised mission statement on the way forward after Mike lost the Primaries. It's still not too late since now that he is not going to run in 2012, there needs to be a clear direction as to what the mission will be going forward. If it's for a Huckabee 2016 campaign, then I think it would be a lost opportunity.

Post by tdavisjr has received Likes: 2 gagoesforhuck, Medic 4 Huck

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:09 pm 
***** General

Liked: 523
tdavisjr,

Even Huckabee himself thought he was going to run again - there was no reason for this board to change its purpose, not even for 2010, as the mission has been to support Huckabee including & esp for the purpose of defeating Obama. Frankly, now that GH is out, I believe we're going to need a serious miracle to do so. However, we supported the candidates that Huckabee supported precisely for that purpose; the goals were entirely compatible, not conflicted, as your post implies.

Please be careful - a lot of us are feeling really sensitive right now & your post hints at reproach and a sort of 'I told you so' flavor. Regardless of what you think about previous decisions, bringing it up now serves no good purpose & we're going to have to work to keep the conversation healthy around here for a while as it is. Please, let's look at our options for going forward & keep the conversation focused on those...

~Grace

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:36 pm 
***** General

Liked: 66
tdavisjr,

Our mission remained the same because everyone believed he would run again in 2012, Mike included.

However, there was a shift in the mission of the forums after Mike was not the nominee, and again after he was not selected as VP.

Our forums have changed to reflect the current situation, and they will change again. Whether or not it will specifically be about Mike Huckabee or if it will be about the ideas and values that we all hold dear still needs to be decided in the next weeks ahead.

--Attention Guests--
Join the Discussion!
Click the graphic to join!

:army

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:18 pm 
Sergeant

Well, I have no idea who to support. I have to do so from the fans seat though, no voting yet. But I'm getting tired of us slamming another troop. Make a suggestion of a canadite. State your reasons. Someone else should make the constructive critsisim, and allow others to vote for who god has called them to vote for. Now that Huck's out we should have different opinions on our next choice.

We'd love to hear what you have to say, guests!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:49 pm 
Colonel

Liked: 1
Personally none of the front runners appeal to me (Palin, Romney, Gingrich, Pawlenty, Daniel). I like Pawlenty but he lacks the charisma and the positive vision (that Gov. Huckabee has) needed to invigorate people to volunteer for him. At the moment I have no idea who I would support but there are a few people I am definitely researching.

I really have no problem choosing to support someone low in the polls, Huckabee wasn't even listed in the polls when I decided to go all in for him. I will choose a man or woman not based on their perceived electability (which is really mostly name recognition) but by what values they hold. Once I choose them I will work has hard as possible to make them electable (e.g. getting the word out). I would encourage everyone on here to choose a candidate based on who best reflects your values not by their standing in the polls or their "electability." The electability factor is the media's way of being king maker. We make them electable, it is that simple.

I want to let all of you know who I am researching:
Herman Cain (exploratory)
Rick Santorum (exploratory)
Michelle Bachmann (exploratory)
Thaddeus McCotter (has not stated intent).

The one on the above list that intrigues me the most is Thaddeus McCotter. I would urge all of you to do your research like you did before Gov. Huckabee and find that person who reflects your values. It would be amazing if we could move as a bloc to support someone. I don't see that as likely happening but it would be interesting.

I do want to say 'thank you' to everyone on here who made this forum so enjoyable. You all really did become friends and I hope we may cross paths in the future.

Best Wishes,
Dan

Post by dbonhoeffer Liked by: Medic 4 Huck

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:06 pm 
Brigadier Geneal

Liked: 24
He could be thinking he can enter late.... maybe as late as next year and still win the nomination. He seemed awlfully sad today on Chris Wallace's show. Im like others not wanting to even think about it to get my hopes up.....

But something just doesnt add up. I think this may be a To Be Continued Moment...... This election is not over, so do not lose hope. I am going to go about my life and see what happens.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:24 pm 
Brigadier Geneal

Liked: 11
I understand everyone's sensitivities, but I think travis was essentially correct. Whether we like it or not--and we obviously all hate it (I felt like I got kicked in the gut, still feeling it)--Mike is out. He's going to go on and do important work in terms of advocacy, but he's now a talk show host. A great one, yes, and his ideas are important. He's a Krauthammer, Palin, Hannity . . . take your pick . . . that actually represents and will be fighting for the views we all hold dear.

Great. I don't know that we need to be "Huck's Army." Rather than get behind the man, we need to make it clear that we are behind the principles. To that end, I suggest that the site admins consider, sometime over the next month of so, changing the name to reflect what the mission really is--and really always has been. I like the idea of running with Mike's vertical politics (as it happens, both verticalpolitics.org and verticalpoliticsinstitute.org are available).

I hope that there will be a serious discussion had about what the role and purpose of this board and site will be. With Mike out, the old mission--electing Mike--obviously doesn't work, and I don't think the current signage (if you will) is sufficiently broad to capture the bigger picture of what we are after, or what we will be after if we continue.

Just my $.02

Post by Jac3510 Liked by: gagoesforhuck

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

bmk2307 wrote:
tdavisjr,

Our mission remained the same because everyone believed he would run again in 2012, Mike included.

However, there was a shift in the mission of the forums after Mike was not the nominee, and again after he was not selected as VP.

Our forums have changed to reflect the current situation, and they will change again. Whether or not it will specifically be about Mike Huckabee or if it will be about the ideas and values that we all hold dear still needs to be decided in the next weeks ahead.

We are Huck's Army. In a way we serve at Huck's command. We are here to serve him in whatever way we can, in the mission to restore America and return more conservative values and candidates to government. We are a forum for discussion of ideas, too. But beyond that we exist as a support group for each other to share concerns and ideas in this cultural and political battle to preserve freedom and justice for America. I am not one of the founders or moderators here, but that is how I look at HA.

Our greatest days could actually be ahead of us.

Post by justgrace has received Likes: 2 gagoesforhuck, Huckabeliever

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:23 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 36
I do not think that Huckabee 2016 should be the new mission of this forum. I highly doubt that Huck will run in 2016 and even if he does, it will be too late by then. All the groundwork that was laid for a 2012 run will be gone four years from now. Moreover, should Obama win re-election, the GOP presidential contenders in 2016 should be much more formidable. We have some excellent governors right now, including Bobby Jindal, Susana Martinez, Bob McDonnell, Chris Christie, etc. They give me great hope for the future of our country.

I like the name "Huck's Army" and do not think the name of the forum needs to be changed. For those of you who are Harry Potter nerds like me :lol:, remember how Dumbledore's Army was still around, though not as active, after Dumbledore died? Likewise, Huckabee may not be running for president, but we are still Huck's Army and we should still stick around. Huckabee's charisma and impressive gubernatorial record certainly drew many of us to support him in 2008, but was it not his stand on the issues that ultimately drew us to him? Pro-life, pro-family, preventative health care, Fair Tax, arts & music education, etc. are all still issues worth fighting for. IMO, supporting such issues and discussing possible candidates to support is the new direction that this forum should take.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:31 pm 
***** General

Liked: 259
I wrote this on another thread and am posting it here as well:

I hope that HucksArmy will still be here throughout the whole 2012 process. It is the first website I go to in the morning. I like the friendships I have made, the support group that we have, the inside jokes and the prayer requests, and that we all admired the principles that Mike Huckabee championed.

I think we do Mike Huckabee a disservice by disbanding. We all may end up voting for a different candidate in the primaries. But I believe we will all be fighting for the same principles.

I hope that everyone sticks around.

But I do not think the goal should be drafting Mike Huckabee or focusing on 2016. If that is the goal, we will lose army members. Our goal should be fighting for the principles that matter most to us. And that might be different for each person.

Plus I would honestly like to read what y'all have to say on the various candidates. You may have read an article that we may not have seen and post it here. And that will be very helpful in sizing up each of the candidates.

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

Post by ConservTexan has received Likes: 3 gagoesforhuck, Grant, tdavisjr

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:33 pm 

EricB wrote:
For those of you who are grieving I understand. This is for those who are ready to move on and find a candidate to support for 2012. Here's the guidelines I used to come to support Huckabee back before he was popular, and why I could tell that he would be a GREAT candidate.

First of all, we want a candidate that we can trust on the pro-life issue. Anyone who has said that they are pro-abortion (Romney) at some point, or has issues with social conservatives (Daniels) is suspect. I also want someone who will make government smaller, so that's something to look for too.

A critical part is finding an electable candidate too. That phrase is thrown around a lot, but how do you know someone is electable? A candidate is more than a list if issues that you can check off. He has to have a likable, charismatic personality in order to attract marginal voters. Huckabee had this, which is what made him such a strong candidate.

How do you find such a candidate though? How I found Huckabee back in 2008 was by looking at polls. He was polling around 5% at the time, so I clearly didn't jump on the bandwagon of the leading candidate. What to look for in the polls then? It's actually quite simple. Look for a candidate who does much better among women than they do among men.

Statistically, men pay much more attention to politics than women do. No honest person can deny this. This means that a lot of marginal, swing voters are women. They're the ones that look at aesthetic things about a candidate, such as their charisma and personality, whereas a lot of men look at a checklist of issues. You have to look at relative polling too, meaning how they poll among women compared to how they poll among men.

Great points Eric.
I first encountered Huck when he spoke to CPAC in 2007. When I heard him list his accomplishments - but in an interested storyline format- I thought... 'this guy wants to be President... who is he again?'
I started following Duncan Hunter, perhaps because of his military background, then switched to Huck.

He was able to get the crowd on its feet with that speech, and it was more than the traditional team followers. I agree with your other assessments. Pro-life; but also has some insightful ideas in issues which stretch across party lines. He is mainstream, but willing to offer an alternative tax idea. Education is important for Democrats as a cross-over issue.

Any candidate who ONLY talks about 'small government' is only stating the obvious. Any candidate who ONLY goes through the Republican platform is fashioning an easy box for Democrats to stuff.

Our candidate is out there. I'm not sure if he / she's declared it.