Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:48 pm 
Major General

Liked: 35
..for the Republican Presidential nomination? And why?

:beach :snowboard

Please click^ on the tank and join up today :)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:10 pm 
Major General

Liked: 35
I'll guess Bachmann, Pawlenty, or Huntsman.

All strong Pro Life, conservative, and seem to be friendly or friends of his.

Please click^ on the tank and join up today :)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:45 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 36
Pawlenty, I hope. T-Paw may lack charisma, but he's a two term governor (from a blue state), reliably pro-life and pro-family, fiscally conservative, and has stated that the Fair Tax is "a good direction" (I think he can be convinced to support it :wink:).

Post by Grant Liked by: Craig88USC

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:47 pm 
***** General

Liked: 523
If Daniels runs, I believe GH will seek some form of assurance on the social issues and then will endorse.

Pawlenty just can't seem to overcome his wallflower status with anybody. I don't think GH will endorse him unless he becomes the nominee.

I like Santorum better, but he suffers from much the same charisma-deficit that Pawlenty does & I can't see him ever being president except thru the VP to POTUS route.

Bachmann has much that appeals, but not as POTUS, IMO. She is not as bad as Palin, but still has too many of Palin's negatives - esp as regards the general. In Bachmann's case, I believe she will overcome them with time, but she needs a lot more experience.

Huntsman is a "moderate" which pretty much translates into fiscal conservative/social liberal. His stances really are nearly equivalent to Romney's so far as I can tell.

And yes, there's still Ronald Paul. Well, all I can say is I'm no Don Quixote and I'm pretty confident GH isn't either. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
Mike was so gracious to say on the Fox News Sunday show that he would not endorse immediately ("my emotions are raw," "absolutely I wanted to be President"), but that he considers that several of the Republicans would be "great candidates." "They are very dear friends of mine." It was interesting that Mike mentioned former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum first and indicated that he has very similar fiscal, social, and national security conservative values. Also, he seems to like Pawlenty, because he was second to be mentioned. Then it was Gingrich, Bachman, and Palin, in that order. He said they were social and fiscal conservatives. Last he mentioned Mitt Romney, saying that he had received a wonderful voice mail from him. He also said that he would support him over Obama if Romney were the Republican candidate.

Huckabee also said that much can change before next year's primaries are over. So the frontrunner now may not be doing well by then. And someone with little name recognition could arise.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:27 pm 
***** General

I forgot to mention Herman Cain - I noticed that his campaign site doesn't mention any social issues. It's all pretty much ecnomic issues with immigration thrown in for good measure. I have to agree - with GH out of the running, social issues are likely to be pushed to the background now.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:40 pm 
Lieutenant General

In 2008, Huckabee often emphasized his two term gubernatorial record. I believe that gubernatorial experience should be a prerequisite for any serious presidential contender and I think it's a factor that Huck will take into consideration when deciding who to endorse. The only contenders with gubernatorial experience are Pawlenty and Romney (and Daniels, should he jump into the race). Romney lacks a conservative gubernatorial record, so I think Huck is likely to endorse one of the other two.

Post by Grant Liked by: justgrace

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:45 pm 
Lieutenant General

QuoVadisAnima wrote:
I forgot to mention Herman Cain - I noticed that his campaign site doesn't mention any social issues. It's all pretty much ecnomic issues with immigration thrown in for good measure. I have to agree - with GH out of the running, social issues are likely to be pushed to the background now.

I think Santorum will emphasize social issues for a while. :)

Post by Grant has received Likes: 2 GrannyT, QuoVadisAnima

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:15 pm 
Major General

Liked: 147
Grant wrote:
Pawlenty, I hope. T-Paw may lack charisma, but he's a two term governor (from a blue state), reliably pro-life and pro-family, fiscally conservative, and has stated that the Fair Tax is "a good direction" (I think he can be convinced to support it :wink:).

Thanks for the fair tax info. I was perusing his website and found nothing on that. That's an important factor for me for sure. The fact is, that's what won me over to Huckabee. I was supporting Brownback but when I found out that Huckabee supported the fair tax and I already knew that Brownback didn't so I switched.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:22 pm 
Major

Liked: 90
Craig,
We miss you at R4'2012...please come back. This is huckarudio now known as "ex-huckarubio aka Santorubio??" I think Huck does one of two things. He either endorses Pawlenty because he is a legit threat to win the nomination and it a better option than Mitt, or he (hopefully) endorses Santorum because they share the same sent of values. I do not agree with the notion that Huck wants to or would accept the VP spot so I don't think his nomination will have anything to do with that.

karrboy84 aka Santorubio (which works better than Huckarubio cause I get to use the "RU" in both names!, lol)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:13 pm 
Private

Liked: 0
It's been a very long time since i stopped here. I supported Gov Huckabee in the last election.in fact after McCain had won Mike was on our ballot in this state.I voted for Mike anyway. i was crushed when he didn't win.It was so close-and crushed again when he didn't get picked for VP.Worse Obama got elected.

In the meantime a lot of things happened personally.My dad suffered from Parkinson's and my folks needed a lot of help. He passed away. Then my mother was diagnosed with cancer the same year-after a long battle where it had been beat. She passed away suddenly.This was a shock. I was sure she had at least a couple months.
Then my own husband began to have a lot of health difficulties. To be honest i really hadn't had a lot of time to get behind any candidate and wasn't sure Mike would run.I did watch the C-Pac Convention on C-Span and only 1 person stood out.It was Herman Cain.

Here is the C-Pac speech.

"America will not become the US Of Europe,not on our watch"
http://cain4pres.americantalk.net/t208- ... -of-europe
I decided to look into him very closely. I checked out every piece of info,interview, bio,article,you tube i could find on Mr Cain. I kept following. He was on the short list with Mike.I have heard enough and know without any doubt these things:
1. Herman Cain is DEFINITELY pro life and pro family
2. He can beat Obama.
3. He has no personal skeletons in his closet that the media can dig into.Here is everything and anything you want to know re Herman Cain.
http://cain4pres.americantalk.net/
And it seems like he's in the same boat Gov Huckabee was in back when he first ran.I thought it over whether i wanted to come here and mention Mr Cain because i know how hard it is to know that Mike is not running. You can feel a great loss.This is not meant to rub salt in the wound at all.
This is his twitter account and there are a lot of us fighting very hard for Mr Cain to win the Rep nomination.
Just tweet @THEHermanCain
Mr Cain is going to make his announcement to run in his home state of Ga.on May 21.The info is here:
http://arealleader.com
God Bless,
boxerpaws60
Mike has a lot of integrity/honesty.It couldn't have been an easy decision to make.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:20 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel

Liked: 20
I've seen some news about a possible Rick Perry run for president. Does anyone know if he is solidly pro-life? I seem to remember him not endorsing Huckabee last time around, but I'm just going off of my terrible memory? Any thoughts on Perry?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:26 pm 
Private

Liked: 0
how long does it take for a post to be reviewed before it may or may not be posted?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:55 pm 
***** General

Sorry, Landon, Perry is a slimy, corporatist beltway Republican. Like most of those types, he is pro-life in the politically expedient sense. He's better than Romney, but that's about the best this Texan can say for him.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:01 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel

Liked: 20
QuoVadisAnima wrote:
Sorry, Landon, Perry is a slimy, corporatist beltway Republican. Like most of those types, he is pro-life in the politically expedient sense. He's better than Romney, but that's about the best this Texan can say for him.

Bummer, there seems to be a lot of people I can mark off my list, but nobody to add onto it. Well, thanks for the update...

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:23 pm 
***** General

I was wondering what happened to the list of 2012 candidates that someone posted back when we were trying to figure out who would be GH's competition. Please help me fill in anybody I've missed:

Running:
Rick Santorum
Tim Pawlenty
Newt Gingrich
Mitt Romney
Herman Cain
Ron Paul
Jon Huntsman

Potential:
Sarah Palin
Michelle Bachmann
Rudy Giuliani
Mitch Daniels
Rick Perry

Out:
Haley Barbour
Donald Trump

Waiting on God:
Mike Huckabee

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
Landon wrote:
I've seen some news about a possible Rick Perry run for president. Does anyone know if he is solidly pro-life? I seem to remember him not endorsing Huckabee last time around, but I'm just going off of my terrible memory? Any thoughts on Perry?

We were quite opposed to Perry a few years back when they were talking about making a corridor highway from Mexico through our back yard to Canada, and not requiring people to speak the language or have a U.S. driver's license, etc. Perry was for this highway, which would follow I-135.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:06 pm 
Major General

Liked: 147
I would be unhappy with Perry also. He was one of the first governors to push for adding the HPV vaccine to the mandatory list of vaccines for school attendance. There was some sign that it was related to close ties with the company that made it. That is quite fishy if you ask me. I'm a pretty strong advocate for vaccinations but there was no public health reason to require the HPV vaccination for girls at age 9-12. It was an intrusion on family choices that wasn't needed. That is not conservative.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:54 pm 
Sergeant

Liked: 14
boxerpaws60 wrote:
It's been a very long time since i stopped here. I supported Gov Huckabee in the last election.in fact after McCain had won Mike was on our ballot in this state.I voted for Mike anyway. i was crushed when he didn't win.It was so close-and crushed again when he didn't get picked for VP.Worse Obama got elected.

In the meantime a lot of things happened personally.My dad suffered from Parkinson's and my folks needed a lot of help. He passed away. Then my mother was diagnosed with cancer the same year-after a long battle where it had been beat. She passed away suddenly.This was a shock. I was sure she had at least a couple months.
Then my own husband began to have a lot of health difficulties. To be honest i really hadn't had a lot of time to get behind any candidate and wasn't sure Mike would run.I did watch the C-Pac Convention on C-Span and only 1 person stood out.It was Herman Cain.

Here is the C-Pac speech.

"America will not become the US Of Europe,not on our watch"
http://cain4pres.americantalk.net/t208- ... -of-europe
I decided to look into him very closely. I checked out every piece of info,interview, bio,article,you tube i could find on Mr Cain. I kept following. He was on the short list with Mike.I have heard enough and know without any doubt these things:
1. Herman Cain is DEFINITELY pro life and pro family
2. He can beat Obama.
3. He has no personal skeletons in his closet that the media can dig into.Here is everything and anything you want to know re Herman Cain.
http://cain4pres.americantalk.net/
And it seems like he's in the same boat Gov Huckabee was in back when he first ran.I thought it over whether i wanted to come here and mention Mr Cain because i know how hard it is to know that Mike is not running. You can feel a great loss.This is not meant to rub salt in the wound at all.
This is his twitter account and there are a lot of us fighting very hard for Mr Cain to win the Rep nomination.
Just tweet @THEHermanCain
Mr Cain is going to make his announcement to run in his home state of Ga.on May 21.The info is here:
http://arealleader.com
God Bless,
boxerpaws60
Mike has a lot of integrity/honesty.It couldn't have been an easy decision to make.

He's definitely my choice. I hope Mike endorses him. But whether he does or not, I'm still going with Cain.

Post by WinningGuy Liked by: boxerpaws60

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:01 pm 
***** General

Liked: 374
QuoVadisAnima wrote:

As a fellow Texas I thought I'd chime in. I basically agree here.

He's certainly slimy, I'll grant you that.

But I do think that Rick Perry might be pro-life in a genuine sense. I mean, he comes out to the Texas March for Life each year and gives a compelling speech. He put life issues on the emergency legislation list this legislative session.

On the other hand, he actually endorsed Giuliani in 2008! That one blew my mind. It's funny. I bet most people outside Texas think G.W.Bush and Perry are buds since Perry was lieutenant governor when W. was governor. In reality, they're kind of enemies. When Kay Bailey challenged Perry this last time around, all the Bush people (from 41's and 43's administrations) endorsed Kay. I voted Kay in the primary despite her pro-choice past because she would've signed whatever pro-life legislation the legislature sent to her (and most of her life issue positions that are problematic are federal in nature, so it'd be better to have her in Austin than Washington!). That's how much I wanted Perry out of there. He'd be laughed back to Texas if he ever ran for national office.

Or bring more or more blazon man’s distress.
And I not help. Nor word now of success:
All is from wreck, here, there, to rescue one—
Work which to see scarce so much as begun
Makes welcome death, does dear forgetfulness.
Or what is else? There is your world within.
There rid the dragons, root out there the sin.
Your will is law in that small commonweal…
G.M. Hopkins.