Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:10 am 
***** General

Liked: 653
Greetings all.

I am concerned genuinely about the "addiction" language used by many posters in the wake of Huckabee's withdraw from the race. I think it's myth to believe there are only only a limited number of "addictive personalities" or "addictive possibilites." Some are clearly more unhealthy than others both soul and body, but losing self-control just ain't good. I also believe very strongly in the word of Paul concerning Christian liberty:

I Corinthians:

23 “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but not everything is constructive. 24 No one should seek their own good, but the good of others.
25 Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, 26 for, “The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it.”[f]

27 If an unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience. 28 But if someone says to you, “This has been offered in sacrifice,” then do not eat it, both for the sake of the one who told you and for the sake of conscience. 29 I am referring to the other person’s conscience, not yours. For why is my freedom being judged by another’s conscience? 30 If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for?

31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 32 Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God— 33 even as I try to please everyone in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved."

Some of you may remember that I imposed a self-limiting number of post at one point and it did me good.

So for those of you trying to bring balance as your reel from the decision on Saturday I'd suggest a bit of a 12 point approach :wink: Only slightly kidding actually.

It's all good here, but even good and God given things, like brothers , sisters, father or mother, that get in the way of better things, like loving God completely, can become bad.

So this board is a pledge board for those who want accountability to cut back or take a break while still intending to be a part of the HA Band of Brothers down our new road. While I personally don't feel the need to abstain right now, I'll lead off and pledge to not post further for seven days and only read the responses to this post, if any.

You guys are great and I'd rather have you healthy and balanced than drowning your sorrows and loosing your Godly temperance.

Godspeed,
Southern Doc

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:35 am 
***** General

Liked: 215
good reminder

the few comments I have read about being addicted to this board, I read as expressions of appreciation for the community here; it's definitely an oasis for many of us

still it's wise to make sure that we love the Lord more than any other person or thing

Post by FirstCoastTerp has received Likes: 2 All-in-for-Mike, GrannyT

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:59 am 
Sergeant

Liked: 45
My name is Don.

I am a Huckaholic.

I admit that Huck's Army has been my agent of choice for my addiction.

I resolve here and now to attempt to continue this addiction unabated. Due to the fact that Huck's Army is full of nice people with thoughtful and insightful perspectives on the political and cultural environment.

If loving Huck's Army is wrong, I don't want to be right.

:!: :!: :!: :D

Follower of Christ,Husband to Julia,
Father of Ezekiel, Grace and Nehemiah,
Pastor of Pathway Church
Bus Driver at First Student

Post by HuckyinKentucky has received Likes: 9 All-in-for-Mike, bmk2307, ConservTexan, DFCSTech, FirstCoastTerp, GrannyT, IowaforHuckabee, justgrace, Steadfast

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:05 am 
***** General

Liked: 374
HuckyinKentucky wrote:
My name is Don.

I am a Huckaholic.

I resolve here and now to attempt to continue this addiction unabated. Due to the fact that Huck's Army is full of nice people with thoughtful and insightful perspectives on the political and cultural environment.

:lol:

Or bring more or more blazon man’s distress.
And I not help. Nor word now of success:
All is from wreck, here, there, to rescue one—
Work which to see scarce so much as begun
Makes welcome death, does dear forgetfulness.
Or what is else? There is your world within.
There rid the dragons, root out there the sin.
Your will is law in that small commonweal…
G.M. Hopkins.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:09 am 

Liked: 152
My son preached a sermon titled, "I Had a Drug Problem and I'm Still Addicted." I don't remember all of the church services he mentioned that we (his parents) "drug" him to. I remember him listing: Sunday School, Sunday evening, Wednesday evening, church visitation, revivals - not only at our church but also other churches we fellow-shipped with, and camp meetings. I'm glad he's still addicted.
Last night at our revival my favorite Evangelist preached on 1 Corinthians 16:13-18 at our revival:

13 Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong.
14 Let all your things be done with charity.
15 I beseech you, brethren, (ye know the house of Stephanas, that it is the firstfruits of Achaia, and that they have addicted themselves to the ministry of the saints,)
16 That ye submit yourselves unto such, and to every one that helpeth with us, and laboureth.
17 I am glad of the coming of Stephanas and Fortunatus and Achaicus: for that which was lacking on your part they have supplied.
18 For they have refreshed my spirit and yours: therefore acknowledge ye them that are such.

He explained that we need to become" addicted" "to the ministry of the saints" so that we can refresh others. He talked about his days as a 1%er and explained that only 1% of bikers become outlaw bikers. He said he believes about only 1% of Christians become those that have "addicted themselves to the ministry of the saints," that are willing to pick up (or supply) the "part" that "was lacking" in others. God rescued him from being a 1% in the wrong group and transformed him into being a 1% in the right group.

Like I've said before: Hello! My name is Donna and I'm a Huckaholic. I'm not only an addict - I'm also a pusher.

IMO Mike Huckabee is a 1% in "the ministry of the saints" and I'm glad I'm addicted to the same God and cause that Mike is "addicted" to. But, if my addiction to Huck interferes with my addiction to Christ - there is a problem!!!

Post by GrannyT has received Likes: 2 DFCSTech, HuckyinKentucky

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:11 am 

HuckyinKentucky wrote:
My name is Don.

I am a Huckaholic.

Great minds think alike. You beat me to the punch line because I had to finish my already started comment after fixing my grandson some toast and giving his teenage home-schooled sister a test.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:29 am 

This thread reminded me of another thread that was posted a long time ago.
http://forum.hucksarmy.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11529&p=96724

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
Hello...my name is just grace.

I am a Huckaholic and have been for three years now.

Please pray for me, because this seems to be a hopeless addiction. Sometimes I even get up at 4:00 AM to have a taste of HA.

The doctor says to stay away for seven days. Easy for him to say. There are much worse addictions than Mike Huckabee, which I prefer to Jack Daniels. Or to Mitch Daniels.

Seriously, as long as we keep our lives balanced, an addiction to our faith is a good thing. Yes, Jesus Christ is first in my life, and it was utterly refreshing to hear Gov. Huckabee say the same thing before millions of Americans last Saturday. (Has it only been five days?)

Post by justgrace has received Likes: 4 All-in-for-Mike, Craig88USC, DFCSTech, GrannyT

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:53 pm 
***** General

Liked: 169
Hello, my name is Lynn, and I am a recovering Huck-a-holic. When he quit the race on Saturday night, I said, "Well, at least I won't be spending so much time commenting on news articles and posts at HA." Well, that lasted a couple hours...
:lol: and then I was back at it. *sigh* Can't help myself.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:37 am 
Site Admin

All-in-for-Mike wrote:
Hello, my name is Lynn, and I am a recovering Huck-a-holic. When he quit the race on Saturday night, I said, "Well, at least I won't be spending so much time commenting on news articles and posts at HA." Well, that lasted a couple hours...

:floor
Well, I am happy that you didn't last too long. We would miss you.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:46 am 
Site Admin

All-in-for-Mike wrote:

:floor That's why we are Huckaholics! But so glad you stayed with the gang here.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:02 am 
Major General

Liked: 23
When I read why Doc started this thread, I thought it was a jest not to be taken seriously. However, now that I am still reading comments and seeing how many want to give their take on what Mike says, writes etc. since last Sat., it is obvious that many can't let it go and move on. Speculating about who he will endorse, will he become VP choice, will his ratings drop, will he become talk radio host, etc. etc. etc. only serves to keep members hooked and coming back for more, just like an junkie! Like Doc, I believe I need a break from politics in general and the HA site to heal my mind, body and soul. See you again in a few weeks, until then Shalom and God Bless!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:38 am 
***** General

Liked: 133
sandra wrote:
When I read why Doc started this thread, I thought it was a jest not to be taken seriously. However, now that I am still reading comments and seeing how many want to give their take on what Mike says, writes etc. since last Sat., it is obvious that many can't let it go and move on. Speculating about who he will endorse, will he become VP choice, will his ratings drop, will he become talk radio host, etc. etc. etc. only serves to keep members hooked and coming back for more, just like an junkie! Like Doc, I believe I need a break from politics in general and the HA site to heal my mind, body and soul. See you again in a few weeks, until then Shalom and God Bless!

I need to take a break as well, as much as I don't want to.
So, since Doc says this is a pledge thread, I pledge to stay away until my house is in order, my school is in order, and my priorities are in order.

This is maybe a little harder for me than for most of you, because we are so isolated out here in the boondocks, and HA is my source for nearly all the news. I can read it elsewhere, but I so prefer the thoughtful, non-inflammatory commentary here. And, of course, I care a great deal for my fellow soldiers!

So, hopefully this will be a tremendous incentive to me to move quickly (but not frenetically, as I don't want to damage my relationship with Christ or with my children in my hurry!)

Only one request: if Governor Huckabee changes his mind, will someone please email me?? :wink:

Blessings,
Mary

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:55 pm 

As most of you know, I am a Huckaholic, an enabler to other Huckaholics, and a Huck pusher. I just added a link the homescreen of my iPod that makes it even easier to get a Huck fix while catching up on some news. http://radio.mikehuckabee.com/Sectional.asp?id=37049#

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:17 pm 
Captain

Liked: 29
I don't think I would consider myself addicted, but I certainly have made checking this site a regular occurrence--and I think as long as I feel it worthwhile I will continue to do so. I am hoping after a while we will focus not so much on what Mike Huckabee, the person, is doing but on the things he continues to support. There will be choices of candidates who come closer than others to what he and we are looking to support. I look forward to that discussion as the 2012 election gets closer. In the meantime I am glad to maintain the friendship and communication with Americans who share my opinion as to what is important for our country.

Post by maryjthom Liked by: QuoVadisAnima

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:50 am 
***** General

Liked: 523
I joke about my addiction which is really only a problem when something major happens - like last Saturday. :cry: But it's largely because there isn't really anyone in my "real" life that I can talk to about this stuff and especially who can understand.

Y'all have been a blessing to me to be able to process what has happened. Yesterday, I only checked in twice. Today, I made it all the way thru till tonite! There is hope for me! :D

I don't have time or energy to keep up with the news & headlines. Because of that, this site often actually saves me time. I just have to make a conscious effort to keep things balanced so I don't end up on the computer all night.
:geek

Post by QuoVadisAnima has received Likes: 3 All-in-for-Mike, justgrace, maryjthom

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:19 am 
Site Admin

One thing I hope people here will keep doing or start doing with more regularity is to visit our "Prayer Group for Huckabee and America," as we have now retitled it. http://forum.hucksarmy.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=23913

I am actually finding peace myself with Governor Huckabee's decision and God's role through prayer together.

Please come and read the daily Gospel scriptures Miserere is posting. It gives one an eternal perspective, having us think of what Jesus taught and did for us.

And I just love the prayer that maryjthom wrote. And the contributions of each of you!

Also, I have started a topic for us on just plain PRAISING GOD. When we have no leading or direction in life's perplexities, we will still find great hope in praising the One who holds the whole world (and the universe!) in His hands.

And then, I have posted Gov. Huckabees "Sincere Thanks" letter. Next week, we can perhaps look at each word and sentence. I want to approach the letter, believing in Mike's sincerity and also the wisdom that he wants to share with us. As far as he, in fact, knows!

Please stay tuned, and at least visit the prayer posts. This will help us heal so we can know the future direction to take. And it will keep us united in God's love and grace. That's a very good place to dwell.

Don't any of you stay away long, please. Yes, we may need time to post less. But I don't want any of us to break the connection to each other and our wonderful cause to help America, such as we have done at Huck's Army.

Daily we need to pray for one another, our country and Gov. Huckabee and his family, to whom this blogsite is dedicated. Also, continue to support the cause of freedom and right and simple government. The cause Huckabee has been leading so beautifully. He is still a tremendous leader. And would you pray that God will take a good man, a good leader, and make him into a great leader to help restore America? And that God would keep him from falling in any way?

Post by justgrace has received Likes: 2 maryjthom, QuoVadisAnima

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:40 pm 
Lieutenant

Liked: 5
I love the atmosphere and the spirit here on HA. I have learned a lot over the last 3 years. I hope to enjoy more posts from the likes of S. Doc, TVV, JustGrace and the myriad of others, that the names escape me at the moment.

I have great respect for GH, and I'm thankful that God raised him up for a time that allowed us to come together.

Ken

Post by kdscott has received Likes: 2 maryrae, QuoVadisAnima

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

kdscott wrote:
I love the atmosphere and the spirit here on HA. I have learned a lot over the last 3 years. I hope to enjoy more posts from the likes of S. Doc, TVV, JustGrace and the myriad of others, that the names escape me at the moment.

I have great respect for GH, and I'm thankful that God raised him up for a time that allowed us to come together.

Ken

I'll say thanks for all of us, for your kind words. I will try to stay on permanently (until kicked off! :wink: ) because we do need prayer over on the Prayer Group. (For those of you who like to pray together.) And all of us need to process our disappointment and start thinking of the next steps to help Huckabee and his plans for America.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:51 pm 
***** General

Liked: 259
I am a Huckaholic. I tried staying engaged in the Republican race without Mike Huckabee but I find it too sad and uninspiring.

I look forward to coming to Hucksarmy each day to join in conversation with respectful, well informed, caring people.

I know I need to make a clean break, but I cannot.

Having a group of like minded friends who pray when a request goes out, is just what we need during these trying times in our country.

I miss Mike Huckabee :(

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

Post by ConservTexan Liked by: QuoVadisAnima