Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:41 am 
Sergeant

Liked: 14
Just a comment about Rollins calling Mike fat...

I was under the impression that it was a pun. He was trying to deflect a question in a light hearted way.

Saying that he's to fat to be 'running' may have been a play on words. A joke.

Like saying, "If he's running (exercisin) he'd be thin."

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:51 am 
Sergeant

Liked: 45
At this point it is pretty clear that at least a contributing reason to his decision, is the toxic media environment.

Think about these facts.

1. The mainstream media are going to be completely in the tank for Obama. They were in 2008, and you are going to see it increase by orders of magnitude this time around.

2. The right wing media cabal was not going to give Huck a fair shake this time around either. There is no reason to believe that Rush, Hannity, Hewitt, et. al would be any less vocal against a Huck campaign than they were the last time. I mean, for goodness sake, No one wanted to call him the front runner, when pools and voter intensity clearly showed him to have the clearest path to the nomination. Even though he worked at FoxNews, there really was only a minority of folks that treated Huck respectfully, Cavuto primarily.

Now, I think if you take either of these by themselves, then you could overcome it by being true to yourself and your ideals and getting your message out. But taken together, I think Huck foresaw a situation where the hard-righters need for idealogical perfection is going to make this primary season a bloodbath, just look at Gingrich's recent flap about the Ryan plan.

I still cannot understand the visceral reaction Huck gets from Talk-Radio on the right. I tried to look at it from every perspective, but it is just ignorance, most of it willful, to say some of the things about Huck that has been said. And this is coming from people who are supposed to agree with you.

As far as I am concerned Huck is the idealogical perfection they were looking for, yet, they disparage and dismiss him to no end. Maybe Huck is too soft, I don't think so. Maybe, just maybe, he is too good to be President.

Huck has a history of enduring tough campaigns, so it isn't fear that is driving this decision, but rather, a serious contemplation of "is it worth it," and "will I be able to maintain my Christian witness throughout this environment?"

I admit I am reading into the situation a little, but it sure seems plausible.

I for one, am pretty convinced the media is going to pull out each and every stop to get Obama elected, and the odds are very great they will succeed.

Kinda rambled on, but it helps to verbalize some of these thoughts. I reserve the right to change some of the sentiment posted herein.

Follower of Christ,Husband to Julia,
Father of Ezekiel, Grace and Nehemiah,
Pastor of Pathway Church
Bus Driver at First Student

Post by HuckyinKentucky Liked by: beezwax

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:46 am 
General

Liked: 41
I don't know how many of you believe in the "end times", but I think Obama has been part of God's plan for the coming "end times", and maybe for Obama to be reelected is the continuation of God's plan.

As I listened to Mike say he wouldn't run, I was completely shocked because with Romney making his Romneycare speech on Thursday and it totally bombed, Huckabee had a straight shot to get the nomination and maybe beat Obama. I wondered how could Huckabee say he wouldn't run when he was at the TOP of his game and would have cruised to a Republican nomination (in my opinion). I was talking to a wonderful Christian woman last night and I realized that God was getting all the glory in how Huckabee said no. Lots of Christians would not only be encouraged but even a little ashamed that we hadn't put God first all the time. Here was a man who could possibly be the most powerful person in the world as President of the U.S., yet he chose to obey God and say NO. I have never met and probably won't ever meet a person who had that most powerful opportunity given to them, and yet say NO because God said so! There is no greater witness to glory to God than that!!!
I hope to remember that in the future.....we are to live our lives for the glory of God, not us. I believe the witness that Mike Huckabee showed last Saturday night will affect lots of people and maybe more than if he had become President!

Post by Vote For Truth has received Likes: 6 ConservTexan, GrannyT, HuckyinKentucky, IowaforHuckabee, justgrace, Texan4Huckabee

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:46 pm 
Brigadier Geneal

Liked: 11
QuoVadisAnima wrote:
I don't get his discernment. Most evangelicals scoff at the "burning in the bosom" discernment of Mormons; well, I'm stumped as to how this differs.

It doesn't.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:47 pm 
***** General

Liked: 275
I think it should be mentioned that Huck turning down the chance to be POTUS isn't quite like someone turning down a lucrative career in order to serve God in obscurity and poverty instead. In fact, he would have had to take a pay cut if he quit his TV and radio gigs to run for Prez. Just think we should compare apples to apples in things like this............

As to his decision making process, I obviously can't know what goes on between him and the Lord, so I can't really comment on how he reached his decision in that aspect. But just from a logical sense of things, it's like someone put it in a PM they sent me: Team Huck had the ball on the goal line with a great play called in the huddle to score the winning TD and when our QB (Huck) got the snap, he took a knee and the game ended with no play attempted. I feel like one of the offensive linemen who was getting ready to throw a block and instead am standing there wondering what just happened. scratch

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:21 am 
***** General

Liked: 190
As far as the media playing in to his decision not to run....I don't buy that either because he has never been afraid to go up against the media and he has his own outlet to get his word out so, this time more so even than last, that shouldn't have been a big factor. And, I don't think it is criticizing Gov. Huckabee to discuss (on this forum only) how puzzled I am by his decision and the reasons he gave for them. If we are puzzled, imagine how the general public will feel...Im not doing any posting anywhere else about this but, we have been in this together for the past 3 yrs so I feel that we can come on here and state how we honestly feel. Also, as someone else said, Gov. Huckabee doesn't owe me anything either, but GOD has given him too many talents for him to wind up as just another talk show host (IMO). I thing GOD has much greater plans for him than that and it disappoints me that our country will suffer because he is not going to be leading us forward...

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:47 am 
***** General

Liked: 169
If you've read Ed Rollins' book, then you already know that Rollins tends to shoot off his mouth and get himself into trouble with some regularity.

Rollins should NEVER have talked about Mike's weight, not if he ever wanted to work with Mike ever again.

That being said.... I was dismayed to see how Mike looked on Leno tonight, because as much as I love & respect him, he does not look healthy. In fact, it looked to me like he's gained 20 pounds just since Saturday. And to have gained back so much weight, after publishing "Stop Digging Your Grave With a Knife and Fork," makes him an easy target for his opponents to charge him with hypocrisy.

Few people are as "in the tank" for Gov. Huckabee as I am, but I was concerned for him.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:07 am 
Private

Liked: 15
Agreed on the weight issue, both in reference to Rollins and Huckabee. Mike has been under a lot of stress, it is hard to imagine the difficulty of the decision he just made. Eating is for many a way to find some comfort, and he has packed on the weight. I am also concerned and will lift up in prayer that God would sustain him during this time.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:26 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
All-in-for-Mike wrote:
If you've read Ed Rollins' book, then you already know that Rollins tends to shoot off his mouth and get himself into trouble with some regularity.

Rollins should NEVER have talked about Mike's weight, not if he ever wanted to work with Mike ever again.

That being said.... I was dismayed to see how Mike looked on Leno tonight, because as much as I love & respect him, he does not look healthy. In fact, it looked to me like he's gained 20 pounds just since Saturday. And to have gained back so much weight, after publishing "Stop Digging Your Grave With a Knife and Fork," makes him an easy target for his opponents to charge him with hypocrisy.

Few people are as "in the tank" for Gov. Huckabee as I am, but I was concerned for him.

Even though we are Huckaholics we have to remember that Mike has faults. One of his faults, or perhaps tendencies, is to gain weight. I do not know what his personal habits or diet are like, but he may have been eating more comfort foods during this stressful time. He told us that he is no longer able to run, which he hates. But I noticed, too, that he seemed heavier on the Leno show. I hope he can find the best diet and exercise plan and lose some weight, especially for his diabetes. I have found some supplements very helpful, too.

I think it would be nice if Huckabee calls Rollins. I hope he does. But the phone works both ways. Maybe Rollins could call him. I'm not saying Mike is right for not calling him. But when we work for someone, we have to do it without the idea of getting public accolades or thanks. We don't know if Huckabee hired Rollins or even asked for his advice, do we? Or if Rollins was just hoping to get the job.

On both accounts, Gov. Huckabee needs our prayers.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:01 am 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 208
I think this was a very difficult time for him, and I'm willing to give some grace for not handling everything perfectly.

I believe in all sincerity that Huckabee will not be a candidate for President ever again and probably not for any other political office.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:24 am 
Private

Liked: 12
peggyp wrote:
I feel the same way, nrobyar. He has been saying all along that if the political landscape was right and he could see that Obama was beatable than he would consider running. Well, I would say that almost miraculously everything has fallen into place which seems to me would show that God was in it. I keep asking myself how I could have been so wrong because I felt that this was an answer to our prayers. I keep thinking about this country and 4 more years of Obama. Surely Mike could see he was the only chance we had. I know that with God all things are possible and He could use someone else, but I really think something is not right here. Still greiving and feeling a little betrayed I guess. Don't know exactly why because I realize Mike Huckabee doesn't owe me anything. I sure would like a little of the peace he seems to have right now. I'm sure it will get better and I will have learned something through it all. Thank you Jesus that I can see other blessings in my life and I know Rom. 8:28!

I have a hard time putting it all together too, Peggy. It did seem like God was in it. It seems funny that Mike would sense God's blessing to run way back in January of 2007, but not sense it this time around. If then, why not now? The ways of God are impossible to fathom. I have also wondered if there is not something wrong here. It doesn't add up. But how can I venture into someone else's sense of how God is leading in their life...? I think all of us who have felt let down by the announcement may feel at least a tinge of the resentment you spoke of. But you are right, Mike doesn't owe me or you anything... I concluded right away following the announcement that I have to "leave secret things for the Lord," and God will manifest what needs to be understood in due time. But the emotions still fly some hours, and the questions still linger... so I have to battle by faith to just be at rest. And we can use the unrest and sense of loss that we feel to motivate us to pray from our heart for our country and our leaders.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:55 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
nrobyar wrote:
As far as the media playing in to his decision not to run....I don't buy that either because he has never been afraid to go up against the media and he has his own outlet to get his word out so, this time more so even than last, that shouldn't have been a big factor. And, I don't think it is criticizing Gov. Huckabee to discuss (on this forum only) how puzzled I am by his decision and the reasons he gave for them. If we are puzzled, imagine how the general public will feel...Im not doing any posting anywhere else about this but, we have been in this together for the past 3 yrs so I feel that we can come on here and state how we honestly feel. Also, as someone else said, Gov. Huckabee doesn't owe me anything either, but GOD has given him too many talents for him to wind up as just another talk show host (IMO). I thing GOD has much greater plans for him than that and it disappoints me that our country will suffer because he is not going to be leading us forward...

Wait and see....

I can't wait to see where God will take him, if Huckabee remains faithful. We can't look into the future, but I can't help but think if God talks to a man who had the world basically in his lap, and told him to trust God's voice, and lay those dreams on the altar, that He (God) will also make his (Huckabee's) way straight. Maybe a little like another "voice of one crying in the wilderness, prepare the way of the LORD, make His paths straight." (Matthew 3:3) Only a few people are truly gifted to this extent, have so much, and still have the humility to listen to a different drummer and give it all up, so that God may give them back something greater. We just have limited sight or knowledge of how God wants to work this out. But I believe Huckabee knows God's voice when he hears it. And I have not found a reason yet to mistrust him.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:54 am 
***** General

Liked: 169
I'm not prepared to write off Mike as a candidate for the rest of his life... but I just imagine that it's got to feel GREAT for Mike to finally be unshackled by that worry. It would be an extremely difficult way of life to have to watch literally every single word you say, every phone call you make, every friend you call or don't call (and every pound you gain). For example, I bet it felt good for Mike to say on O'Reilly that Romney "talks down to" others, and treats them like they are insignificant...and to say further that it "irritates" Mike. I bet it felt good to say that publicly. The rest of the interview was very gracious...and Mike made it clear that if Mitt is the nominee he will support him...but I bet it felt good to finally say on TV the same thing he's said in his books: that Mitt is arrogant.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:51 am 
***** General

Liked: 275
I would have been fine with Huck telling Mittens that he's arrogant during the debates. :lol: 8)