Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:59 am 
Private

Liked: 12
I've heard a lot of talk/chatter (wishful thinking) here at HA about Mike reconsidering his decision (at some point). I would be thrilled if he did. After all, he did say "for now." But my question is this: After such a dramatic and ground breaking announcement, could a credible decision to now enter the race really be made? In other words, would such a flip-flop make Mike be perceived as someone who just can't make up his mind, as someone who is not so in touch with his God or inner self as he'd like America to think. Would Mike be torn apart by the media about flip flopping? Would he really seem like he wants the job? I tend to think that it's really too late after making such a clear and unequivocal exit, but I'd like to hear what others' perceptions are... even those who are trying to wean themselves from HA... but don't want to put a stumbling block in your way...

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:45 am 
***** General

Liked: 225
I think he left himself plenty of wiggle room in his statement. He never said he didn't want to run, or that he didn't want to be president. If no one catches fire in the GOP field, we will probably start seeing commentators and columnists saying, "too bad Huckabee isn't running." Also, any day now some momentous event might occur, like an attack on Israel, that could force Huckabee back into the game. I'm not banking on something like that happening, but who knows.

There is a lot of talk around here about moving on. Well my view is that since 2007 it has been my hope and goal to see a Huckabee presidency. What Gov. Huckabee has done has not closed the door on that hope. For me, the goal still exists. The door will not shut on the GOP nomination until we have a different nominee. The door will not shut on the VP selection until the choice is announced. The door on 2016 is still open.

I might have to vote for another candidate, but no other candidate will receive my support.

Post by christopher.wilkerson has received Likes: 3 janelles, justgrace, QuoVadisAnima

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:36 am 
***** General

Liked: 525
I think that if the GOP field continues to be almost universally seen as weak and if most of the contenders continue to be seen as unelectable (Romney, Gingrich), incompatible with conservative values, or otherwise untenable, then I think Mike would have a way of getting back in the race without running the risk of being called a flip-flopper.

If six months from now, things remain as they are right now, Huck would basically have two options:

1) Get in and have the risk of a few knuckleheads calling him names.
2) Do nothing and watch President Obama cruise to a second term by walking on the backs of a GOP field that looks like it can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

I think under those circumstances, he would have a clear avenue of getting back in.

Also, I fully expect at least one of the campaigns to collapse before we get too far into the race. Probably several. Not everyone who is running now will likely still be running when the primary votes start coming in. And so there will be newly unemployed staffers who work for those campaigns who will be looking for work.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:11 am 
***** General

Liked: 374
Lars, No, I don't think a credible decision to enter could be made for all the reasons you hinted at. Also, all the political talent will be tied up elsewhere. Only way Huckabee gets in this race is if the nominee taps him for Veep. All that being said, I'd love for Huck to surprise me. :)

Or bring more or more blazon man’s distress.
And I not help. Nor word now of success:
All is from wreck, here, there, to rescue one—
Work which to see scarce so much as begun
Makes welcome death, does dear forgetfulness.
Or what is else? There is your world within.
There rid the dragons, root out there the sin.
Your will is law in that small commonweal…
G.M. Hopkins.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:48 pm 
***** General

Liked: 275
This was the danger of announcing that it was a God based decision that informed his decision not to run. That may well have been the case, but once you basically say that God told you not to do something, you can't really turn around 3 or 4 months later and say God has now reversed himself and is giving the go ahead to run. That's where the media and his competetors in the primaries will find a big opening to criticize him. But this is also why I don't think Huck has any intention of jumping into the race this time around. If he wanted to give himself some wiggle room for a later decision to enter the race, I don't think he would have been as definitive in his answer as he was last week.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:18 pm 
Private

Goalieman, I agree, it puts him into a box. But GH didn't really say that "God had told him," not to run, but rather that he didn't really sense God blessing it. There's a difference in saying that you heard directly from God, and saying that you had a sense of peace over a decision; at least in the ears of many believers. But on the whole, I think I agree with you because most of the voters and media aren't the kind of believers that would get that.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:29 pm 
***** General

Liked: 211
Quote:
There is a lot of talk around here about moving on. Well my view is that since 2007 it has been my hope and goal to see a Huckabee presidency. What Gov. Huckabee has done has not closed the door on that hope. For me, the goal still exists. The door will not shut on the GOP nomination until we have a different nominee. The door will not shut on the VP selection until the choice is announced. The door on 2016 is still open.

I might have to vote for another candidate, but no other candidate will receive my support.

Totally agree with this. To put things into perspective....Newt's supporters have waited almost 20 years for him to be on the ballot.

TEAM HUCK IOWA
http://www.facebook.com/TeamHuckIowa

Post by Iowans Rock Liked by: janelles

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:20 pm 
***** General

Liked: 190
I would love nothing better than to see Huckabee as president whenever he would decide to run. However, Im hoping for a Republican in the White House in 2012 and that would put him at 2020....That's a long way off....especially for those of us in their 50's and up...I feel sorry for those Ron Paul supporters who have waited for YEARS to see him win a nomination that just isn't going to happen. I don't want to delude (and disappoint) myself like they do...

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:22 am 
***** General

Liked: 275
Lars E Schroeder wrote:
Goalieman, I agree, it puts him into a box. But GH didn't really say that "God had told him," not to run, but rather that he didn't really sense God blessing it. There's a difference in saying that you heard directly from God, and saying that you had a sense of peace over a decision; at least in the ears of many believers. But on the whole, I think I agree with you because most of the voters and media aren't the kind of believers that would get that.

Actually, Huck did basically say that when Chris Wallace asked him if he audibly heard from God and Huck said something to the effect of "it was louder than that", which I would infer Huck meant God was speaking to his heart. It doesn't make it impossible to jump into the race at a later date, but it does create some difficulty in explaining the sudden change of plans.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:48 am 
***** General

Liked: 523
Okay, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Huck say quite some time back that he would get in if the GOP got behind him? And we were all saying that was virtually impossible & would take a miracle?

I was wondering if he was saying that was the sign from God that he was looking for & then backed off from stating it publicly after that for some reason (maybe not wanting to look like he was attempting to prompting something).

Maybe it was that factor that was at the heart of his decision/ discernment - and maybe that will be the factor that it takes to get him in as it would show God's will not just to him but to everyone else, too.

Anyway, I believe it would have to take something obviously major to everyone to pull him back in.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:52 am 
***** General

BTW, Lars - welcome a-board! How'd you find us?
Forgive our negligence, we're usually quite welcoming, but I'm sure you will understand why we've not quite been ourselves here recently.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:28 am 
Private

Quo_Vadis, thanks for the welcome... I had to recently change my user name here at HA because of email issues. I have been a regular visitor here since the beginning, but didn't post often. The twins here in Oregon (who began the site) clued me in to HA just prior to its beginning. I began a "Meet-up" group for Huck back in the fall of 07, which disolved after McCain got the nomination. I guess I am now wanting to post here as it is sort of part of my grieving/transition process. Thanks again for the welcome!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:27 am 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 73
TheValuesVoter wrote:
I think that if the GOP field continues to be almost universally seen as weak and if most of the contenders continue to be seen as unelectable (Romney, Gingrich), incompatible with conservative values, or otherwise untenable, then I think Mike would have a way of getting back in the race without running the risk of being called a flip-flopper.

If six months from now, things remain as they are right now, Huck would basically have two options:

1) Get in and have the risk of a few knuckleheads calling him names.
2) Do nothing and watch President Obama cruise to a second term by walking on the backs of a GOP field that looks like it can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

I think under those circumstances, he would have a clear avenue of getting back in.

Also, I fully expect at least one of the campaigns to collapse before we get too far into the race. Probably several. Not everyone who is running now will likely still be running when the primary votes start coming in. And so there will be newly unemployed staffers who work for those campaigns who will be looking for work.
I agree with you. Huck told a talk show host that the primaries are too too long and too too expensive. He said they ought to be like American Idol (I think that was what he quoted). The candidates should debate for several weeks and let the people vote them off one by one. He may have said it to be funny and it was no doubt taken that way, but I suspect he really believes it.

I could see Mike having an early next year soul searching time again with God and another answer this time yes, now. I have at times had GOD tell me no only to discover later on that he meant wait or not now.

Most people recognize authenticity and honesty in Huck and they will understand him if he 'changes his mind' sometime down the road. You will always have your naysayers but that comes with the territory. Just like you will have Obama voters no matter how irrational and insane it is to vote him another term.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:29 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
Lars E Schroeder wrote:
Quo_Vadis, thanks for the welcome... I had to recently change my user name here at HA because of email issues. I have been a regular visitor here since the beginning, but didn't post often. The twins here in Oregon (who began the site) clued me in to HA just prior to its beginning. I began a "Meet-up" group for Huck back in the fall of 07, which disolved after McCain got the nomination. I guess I am now wanting to post here as it is sort of part of my grieving/transition process. Thanks again for the welcome!

Welcome back! Grieving describes what most of us are still doing. It is a natural process that we must not deny. We are trying to remain hopeful, and are working through a transition time as we await more information and insight into Huckabee's future plans. I think most of us will stand ready if God leads Gov. Huckabee to enter the race, somehow, some time in the future. We have really seen no one who combines the values, the experience, the personality, the gifts of leadership, as well as support for our pro-life and pro-family values, for Israel, and for the Fair Tax. We will find it hard to throw support to another, lesser candidate. But we will do what we can and what is necessary. I know GMH has plans to be involved, not withdraw from the political scene.

It is interesting to know that you knew the "twins" before they set up this site. I often wonder what they are thinking now about Huckabee and his decision not to run now.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:13 pm 
***** General

Lars E Schroeder wrote:

Oh are you the one who was previously posting as "boxerpaws" that was having difficulty earlier this past week?