Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 412 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Support Israel
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
I invite you to read my latest article on Wise Republic and comment.

http://www.wiserepublic.com/5916/obamas-message-of-peace-sacrifices-israel/

As Huckabee has often said, it is in Israel's interest, as well as our own self-interest as Americans, to make sure Israel retains the ability to protect herself. And they certainly must be able to rely on America's word that we will defend her. We need this reliable ally in the Middle East. Gov. Huckabee did such a great job on the weekend Huckabee show of explaining how small the nation is and how necessary it is that she retains control over the Palestinian West Bank.

Are you supporting Israel? I notice quite a few profile pictures on facebook that say, "Support Israel."

Post by justgrace Liked by: Peter
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Support Israel
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:23 am 
Site Admin

How can we support Israel?

Prayer. Writing letters. Speaking out. Calling our Congressmen and women.

I would especially encourage writing to the Jewish congressmen and women, all of whom are Democrat except for Eric Cantor! I will try to post their names here shortly.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:14 am 
Site Admin

Jewish Leaders in Congress:

- Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D) - Arizona 8
- Rep. Brad Sherman (D) - California 27
- Rep. Howard Berman (D) - California 28
- Rep. Adam Schiff (D) - California 29
- Rep. Harry Waxman (D) - California 30
- Rep. Bob Filner (D) - California 51
- Rep. Susan Davis (D) - California 53
- Rep. Jared Polis (D) - Colorado 2
- Rep. Ted Deutch (D) - Florida 19
- Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D) - Illinois 9
- Rep. John Yarmuth (D) - Kentucky 3
- Rep. Barney Frank (D) - Massachusetts 4
- Rep. Sander Levin (D) - Michigan 12
- Rep. Shelley Berkley (D) - Nevada 1
- Rep. Steve Rotham (D) - New Jersey 9
- Rep. Steve Israel (D) - New York 2
- Rep. Eliot Engel (D) - New York 17
- Rep. Nita Lowey (D) - New York 18
- Rep. Allyson Schwartz (D) - Pennsylvania 13
- Rep. David Cicilline (D) - Rhode Island 1
- Rep. Eric Cantor ( R) - Virginia 7

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:03 am 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 14
I think we need to be careful when we try to use biblical grounds to defined the nation of Israel. Yes, God proclaimed the blessing of those who bless the descendants of Abraham and a curse on those who curse his descendents. However, there is a reason that God destroyed Israel in 70 AD and scattered the Jews across the globe. God's will for the Jews is that they receive His Son and, so far, they have not done so.

The best reason to support Israel at this point is that they are the only real democracy in the Middle East and they are one of our most loyal allies. What that region of the world needs most (politically speaking) is democracy and Israel is the greatest hope for that to happen.

Post by jdbrown Liked by: maryjthom

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:40 pm 
Site Admin

Here is a quote from Gov. Mike Huckabee's email on several subjects:

Quote:
Obama And Israel

President Obama's call last week for peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians to be based on Israel's pre-1967 war borders went over about as well with the Jewish community as a ham and cheese sandwich at a Passover Seder. Congress members on both sides of the aisle quickly stepped up to voice strong disagreement. Then on Friday, the President met with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, and afterwards, they held a joint appearance that made history as possibly the most polite and public woodshedding of a sitting US President ever. In the most deferential and diplomatic tones possible, Netanyahu explained to Obama and the TV audience why rolling Israel back to those indefensible borders would mean suicide for the Jewish state, and that it was absolutely, positively NOT going to happen. Even the most leftwing of Israel's politicians sent him messages of support on that.

Sunday, Obama spoke to America's top pro-Israel lobby, the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, and he stuck to his guns about the pre-1967 borders. Although he did try to finesse it a bit, claiming his critics had misunderstood him, that it had always been the US position that peace talks would have to start with those borders. But he didn't mean rolling them back to where they were in 1967. No, he wants to start with the assumption that all the land Israel won is negotiable, and swap some of the land for peace, which has worked out so well up to now. It would be sort of like the US negotiating a treaty with Mexico by assuming that Mexico still had a right to at least half of Texas. The speech was met with polite applause, and that's putting "polite" politely. I have a feeling that many influential Jewish Democrats were spending less time thinking about Obama's land for peace proposals than they were about the new places their political donations might be going next year.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:54 pm 
Site Admin

One feels like cheering over the way Netanyahu was received by the Congress. He got more standing ovations than Pres. Obama did at his State of the Union Speech. I liked this article:

Quote:
Tuesday, May 24, 2011
US Congress Gives Netanyahu Speech An Enthusiastic Response
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has received an exuberant welcome from a joint meeting of the U.S. Congress. The Israeli leader told lawmakers his vision of how to achieve a lasting peace with the Palestinians.Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he was happy to return to the U.S. Capitol, where he gave his first speech to a joint meeting in 1996.

He emphasized the strong bonds between Israel and the United States. "In an unstable Middle East, Israel is the one anchor of stability. In a region of shifting alliances, Israel is America's unwavering ally. Israel has always been pro-American, Israel will always be pro-American," said the Israeli prime minister.

Netanyahu's speech was interrupted at least 29 times for standing ovations, and once by a young woman protester who unfurled a banner and shouted, "No more occupation, end Israeli war crimes." She was quickly removed from the House gallery.

Netanyahu said the Middle East now stands at a crossroads, and commended the courageous Arab protesters who have taken to the streets in a number of countries. He pointed out that Israel has long had a robust democracy and that its citizens enjoy civil liberties denied elsewhere in the Middle East.

"In a region where women are stoned, gays are hanged, Christians are persecuted, Israel stands out. It is different," he said.

The Israeli Prime Minister singled out Iran as one of the most powerful forces opposing democracy in the region, and warned of the ongoing danger he said Iran's efforts to develop nuclear weapons poses.

"After six million Jews were murdered, Iran's leaders deny the Holocaust of the Jewish people, while calling for the annihilation of the Jewish state. Leaders who spew such venom should be banned from every respectable forum on the planet," he said.

Since arriving late last week in Washington, Netanyahu and President Barack Obama have publicly clashed about the basis for reviving the stalled Israeli-Palestinian peace talks.

Netanyahu has repeatedly rejected returning to the pre-1967 war borders. President Obama told a pro-Israeli lobbying group on Sunday that Israel must "make the hard choices" necessary to reach a peace agreement. He said they include basing the borders of Israel and a Palestinian state on the 1967 lines, with mutually agreed land swaps.Senate Majority leader Harry Reid, the most powerful Democrat in the Senate, spoke to the same group late Monday, and gave support to Netanyahu's stance and not to President Obama's. Senator Reid said negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians must take place at the negotiating table - and nowhere else - not in speeches.

"No one should set premature parameters about borders, about building, or about anything else," he said.

In his address to Congress, Netanyahu emphasized the points of agreement with President Obama and praised him repeatedly, without giving any ground on his own position on the borders in a future peace agreement.

"We will be generous about the size of the future Palestinian state, but as President Obama said, the border will be different than the one that existed on June 4, 1967," he said. "Israel will not return to the indefensible boundaries of 1967.

Netanyahu also called for Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas to stand before his people and declare that he will accept a Jewish state, and to tear up his unity pact with the militant organization Hamas. He also said Israel must continue to have a military presence in the Jordan Valley, and that Jerusalem must never be divided...

http://israel-lightontonations.blogspot.com/2011/05/us-congress-gives-netanyahu-speech.html

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:11 am 
Major General

Liked: 147
jdbrown wrote:
I think we need to be careful when we try to use biblical grounds to defined the nation of Israel. Yes, God proclaimed the blessing of those who bless the descendants of Abraham and a curse on those who curse his descendents. However, there is a reason that God destroyed Israel in 70 AD and scattered the Jews across the globe. God's will for the Jews is that they receive His Son and, so far, they have not done so.

The best reason to support Israel at this point is that they are the only real democracy in the Middle East and they are one of our most loyal allies. What that region of the world needs most (politically speaking) is democracy and Israel is the greatest hope for that to happen.

I agree and, of course, those non-Biblical reasons are more then sufficient for us to support Israel.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:12 am 
***** General

Liked: 523
I also agree, but am curious, jdbrown, why are you open to the use of reason on this issue that also happens to be one of faith, but not on the social issues?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:29 am 
***** General

Liked: 247
Great interview with Netanyahu on Hannity tonight:

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:27 am 
Lieutenant General

QuoVadisAnima wrote:
I also agree, but am curious, jdbrown, why are you open to the use of reason on this issue that also happens to be one of faith, but not on the social issues?

Some people like to separate faith and reason, but there really is a relationship between them. Everything that we know (reason) comes to us by means of something in which we trust (have faith). When I see that it is safe to cross the street, I cross. I have faith in my eyes and reason accordingly. Likewise, it is very reasonable to have faith in God who is altogether trustworthy. And all truth (reason) is God’s truth.

As far as Israel is concerned, God has made it clear that the Jews are under judgment for rejecting His Messiah, so that Biblical grounds for supporting Israel are tenuous at best. However, with democracy comes freedom and with freedom comes the hope of evangelizing both the Jews and the Muslims.

As far as social issues are concerned. All ethics are God’s ethics and to reason an ethical position apart from God's word is like trying to describe a rainbow to a person who has been blind since birth.

Post by jdbrown Liked by: maryjthom

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:40 am 

Liked: 340
jdbrown wrote:

As far as Israel is concerned, God has made it clear that the Jews are under judgment for rejecting His Messiah, so that Biblical grounds for supporting Israel are tenuous at best. However, with democracy comes freedom and with freedom comes the hope of evangelizing both the Jews and the Muslims.

This seems to be true in a Western context, but not so in a Muslim one. Democracy in Iran brought forth a repressive regime. Through democracy in Gaza the radical Hamas was elected. Turkey is being radicalized at the moment through democratic processes.

The problem is that at its core Islam is radical and oppressive; therefore in majority Muslim societies where there is democracy, this will eventually surface.

Post by Peter Liked by: justgrace

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

President Obama speaks of the new Spring of democracy spreading across the Middle East as something positive. But this does not sound good for Israel. This call for a Palestinian march on the borders of Israel was scheduled for May 20, but continues to build. It is spread by facebook, which our President has hailed as a wonderful thing. Well, not for Israel....

Quote:
- WAGE SPIRITUAL WAR FOR ISRAEL

SUMMARY: The Third Palestinian Intifada is using Facebook to call pro-Palestinian groups in Egypt, Jordan and Syria to march on the borders of Israel after Friday prayers on May 20.

[Although this was planned for today, this movement is designed to continue to build over time. Hence, it is not too late to pray!]

Thousands of Palestinians gathered from Syria, Lebanon, the Gaza Strip and the West Bank on Sunday, May 15 to protest the anniversary of Israel becoming a nation. Hundreds attempted to breach Israel's border and troops responded by firing on protesters. According to one source, more than a dozen were killed and scores of others injured.

Each year at this time, Palestinians participate in "the nakba" ("the catastrophe") marking the day Israel gained independence in 1948. However, this year, with the help of social media, the protests were coordinated and demonstrators attempted to enter Israeli territory.

Another march is being called for on May 20. The group behind it, Third Palestinian Intifada, has been using Facebook to organize the event. "Arab activists in neighboring countries" are being urged "to storm Israel's borders."

The event, which is being called a "Friday of response" on Facebook, had 100,000 "likes". According to al-Jazeera, activists will be assembling from Egypt, Jordan, Syria and Lebanon, as well as the Gaza Strip and the West Bank.

Observers are calling this the Palestinian version of the Arab Spring - the protests that broke out across North Africa and the Middle East. Some also suspect that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and terrorist group Hezbollah are involved.

SOURCES: NY Times, Ynetnews, Business Insider, "Rule of Engagement" (Cindy Trimm, 2005)

This is a spiritual war being waged. Prayers of Muslim activists are being aimed daily against the existence of Israel and the Jews, and many also extend against the United States as friends of Israel.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:55 pm 
***** General

Liked: 275
I'll state right here that the ONLY reason I support Israel as I do is due to Biblical reasons, not because of their current form of government. Israel being back in their land (at least some of their historic land) is prophetic, certainly enough reason to be fully supportive of them. Now if you're a preterist and adhere to replacement theology (i.e. the Church has replaced Israel in God's plans and future blessings), then it makes perfect sense to not support Israel for Biblical reasons. But if supporting them just because they're a democracy, I'd ask this question: what if they, as an example, went back to a Davidic Monarchy type of Government but still remained on good terms with us? Would we stop supporting them just because they were no longer a democratic type of government?

And that leads to another point that's been brought up here by a few others. Egypt was a friend to the west and Israel (for the most part) under basically a dictatorship under Mubarek. We supported them despite the fact that they were not a democracy, certainly not what we would call a legitimate democracy. If the Muslim Brotherhood gets swept into power during a true democratically run election, should we still support them despite the fact that they will no longer be as friendly towards us or Israel? Truth is, democracy is only as good as the people in the democracy, for any people could democratically elect a dictator if they choose to. If the only reason to support Israel was due them being a democracy, I'd care about them about as much as I care about the isle of Malta (not that I don't care about the Maltese!).

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

I found these excerpts of Netanyahu's speech before Congress. He received 29 standing ovations.
Quote:
Excerpts of PM Netanyahu’s speech to Congress:

* “An epic battle is now unfolding in the Middle East, between tyranny and freedom. A great convulsion is shaking the earth from the Khyber Pass to the Straits of Gibraltar. The tremors have shattered states and toppled governments. And we can all see that the ground is still shifting….” [Egypt. etc.]

* “These extraordinary scenes in Tunis and Cairo, evoke those of Berlin and Prague in 1989. Yet as we share their hopes, but we also must also remember that those hopes could be snuffed out as they were in Tehran in 1979. You remember what happened then. The brief democratic spring in Iran was cut short by a ferocious and unforgiving tyranny. [The Ayatolla Khomeini and now Ahmahdinejad] This same tyranny smothered Lebanon’s democratic Cedar Revolution, and inflicted on that long-suffering country, the medieval rule of Hezbollah. So today, the Middle East stands at a fateful crossroads…”

* “Courageous Arab protesters, are now struggling to secure these very same rights for their peoples, for their societies. We’re proud that over one million Arab citizens of Israel have been enjoying these rights for decades. Of the 300 million Arabs in the Middle East and North Africa, only Israel’s Arab citizens enjoy real democratic rights. I want you to stop for a second and think about that. Of those 300 million Arabs, less than one-half of one-percent are truly free, and they’re all citizens of Israel! This startling fact reveals a basic truth: Israel is not what is wrong about the Middle East. Israel is what is right about the Middle East….”

* “When I last stood here, I spoke of the dire consequences of Iran developing nuclear weapons. Now time is running out, and the hinge of history may soon turn. For the greatest danger facing humanity could soon be upon us: A militant Islamic regime armed with nuclear weapons. Militant Islam threatens the world. It threatens Islam. I have no doubt that it will ultimately be defeated. It will eventually succumb to the forces of freedom and progress. But like other fanaticisms that were doomed to fail, militant Islam could exact a horrific price from all of us before its inevitable demise. A nuclear-armed Iran would ignite a nuclear arms race in the Middle East. It would give terrorists a nuclear umbrella. It would make the nightmare of nuclear terrorism a clear and present danger throughout the world. I want you to understand what this means. They could put the bomb anywhere. They could put it on a missile. It could be on a container ship in a port, or in a suitcase on a subway….”

* “Now the threat to my country cannot be overstated. Those who dismiss it are sticking their heads in the sand. Less than seven decades after six million Jews were murdered, Iran’s leaders deny the Holocaust of the Jewish people, while calling for the annihilation of the Jewish state….”

* “The Ayatollah regime briefly suspended its nuclear program only once, in 2003, when it feared the possibility of military action. That same year, Muammar Qadaffi gave up his nuclear weapons program, and for the same reason. The more Iran believes that all options are on the table, the less the chance of confrontation. This is why I ask you to continue to send an unequivocal message: That America will never permit Iran to develop nuclear weapons. As for Israel, if history has taught the Jewish people anything, it is that we must take calls for our destruction seriously. We are a nation that rose from the ashes of the Holocaust. When we say never again, we mean never again. Israel always reserves the right to defend itself….”

* “Two years ago, I publicly committed to a solution of two states for two peoples: A Palestinian state alongside the Jewish state. I am willing to make painful compromises to achieve this historic peace. As the leader of Israel, it is my responsibility to lead my people to peace. This is not easy for me. I recognize that in a genuine peace, we will be required to give up parts of the Jewish homeland. In Judea and Samaria, the Jewish people are not foreign occupiers. We are not the British in India. We are not the Belgians in the Congo. This is the land of our forefathers, the Land of Israel, to which Abraham brought the idea of one God, where David set out to confront Goliath, and where Isaiah saw a vision of eternal peace. No distortion of history can deny the four thousand year old bond, between the Jewish people and the Jewish land….”

* “So now here is the question. You have to ask it. If the benefits of peace with the Palestinians are so clear, why has peace eluded us? Because all six Israeli Prime Ministers since the signing of Oslo accords agreed to establish a Palestinian state. Myself included. So why has peace not been achieved? Because so far, the Palestinians have been unwilling to accept a Palestinian state, if it meant accepting a Jewish state alongside it. You see, our conflict has never been about the establishment of a Palestinian state. It has always been about the existence of the Jewish state. This is what this conflict is about. In 1947, the United Nations voted to partition the land into a Jewish state and an Arab state. The Jews said yes. The Palestinians said no. In recent years, the Palestinians twice refused generous offers by Israeli Prime Ministers, to establish a Palestinian state on virtually all the territory won by Israel in the Six Day War. They were simply unwilling to end the conflict. And I regret to say this: They continue to educate their children to hate. They continue to name public squares after terrorists. And worst of all, they continue to perpetuate the fantasy that Israel will one day be flooded by the descendants of Palestinian refugees….”

* “My friends, this must come to an end. President Abbas must do what I have done. I stood before my people, and I told you it wasn’t easy for me, and I said: ‘I will accept a Palestinian state.’ It is time for President Abbas to stand before his people and say: ‘I will accept a Jewish state.’….”

* “As for Jerusalem, only a democratic Israel has protected freedom of worship for all faiths in the city. Jerusalem must never again be divided. Jerusalem must remain the united capital of Israel. I know that this is a difficult issue for Palestinians. But I believe with creativity and goodwill a solution can be found….”

* “Hamas is not a partner for peace. Hamas remains committed to Israel’s destruction and to terrorism. They have a charter. That charter not only calls for the obliteration of Israel, but says ‘kill the Jews wherever you find them’. Hamas’ leader condemned the killing of Osama bin Laden and praised him as a holy warrior. Now again I want to make this clear. Israel is prepared to sit down today and negotiate peace with the Palestinian Authority. I believe we can fashion a brilliant future of peace for our children. But Israel will not negotiate with a Palestinian government backed by the Palestinian version of Al Qaeda. So I say to President Abbas: Tear up your pact with Hamas! Sit down and negotiate! Make peace with the Jewish state! And if you do, I promise you this. Israel will not be the last country to welcome a Palestinian state as a new member of the United Nations. It will be the first to do so….”

I found these statements remarkable, especially those that I placed in bold letters. If we are looking for a nationalist and secular reason for protecting our allies in the Middle East (not just a Christian prophetic one) we can quote from PM Netanyahu's speech the excellent reasons to defend the Israeli homeland.

For a full transcript of Netanyahu's speech go to http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Government/Sp ... Mode=print]

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:29 pm 
Major General

Liked: 147
Thank you for sharing the speech justgrace. That is exactly why I support Israel. They respect human rights for all of their citizens, not just the Jewish ones. They are a nation that wants peace but will fight for it if necessary. It is also their historic homeland and they have a bond with the land. From the very beginning they have recognized the rights of the Arabs that have lived there for centuries but those same Arabs have never recognized their rights. If any nation should not exist it should be the Palestinian nation since they rejected the one they were offered 60 some years ago.

Post by juditupp has received Likes: 2 IXR, justgrace

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:31 am 
***** General

Liked: 374
goalieman wrote:
I'll state right here that the ONLY reason I support Israel as I do is due to Biblical reasons, not because of their current form of government. Israel being back in their land (at least some of their historic land) is prophetic, certainly enough reason to be fully supportive of them. Now if you're a preterist and adhere to replacement theology (i.e. the Church has replaced Israel in God's plans and future blessings), then it makes perfect sense to not support Israel for Biblical reasons. But if supporting them just because they're a democracy, I'd ask this question: what if they, as an example, went back to a Davidic Monarchy type of Government but still remained on good terms with us? Would we stop supporting them just because they were no longer a democratic type of government?

And that leads to another point that's been brought up here by a few others. Egypt was a friend to the west and Israel (for the most part) under basically a dictatorship under Mubarek. We supported them despite the fact that they were not a democracy, certainly not what we would call a legitimate democracy. If the Muslim Brotherhood gets swept into power during a true democratically run election, should we still support them despite the fact that they will no longer be as friendly towards us or Israel? Truth is, democracy is only as good as the people in the democracy, for any people could democratically elect a dictator if they choose to. If the only reason to support Israel was due them being a democracy, I'd care about them about as much as I care about the isle of Malta (not that I don't care about the Maltese!).

I care about Malta as much as I care about Israel. It just so happens that the latter is so threatened that it needs our special support. So for me, it's not because of faith, it's not because Israel's a democracy, it's because it's surrounded by those who would destroy it. If Malta were in the same position, I hope we'd forge a special bond with the Maltese.

Or bring more or more blazon man’s distress.
And I not help. Nor word now of success:
All is from wreck, here, there, to rescue one—
Work which to see scarce so much as begun
Makes welcome death, does dear forgetfulness.
Or what is else? There is your world within.
There rid the dragons, root out there the sin.
Your will is law in that small commonweal…
G.M. Hopkins.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:08 am 
***** General

Liked: 523
I dunno - if Iran or North Korea were surrounded by enemies who would destroy them... well, actually we would probably be one of them...

Sorry, couldn't resist a little bit of devil's advocating! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:28 am 
***** General

Liked: 275
QuoVadisAnima wrote:
I dunno - if Iran or North Korea were surrounded by enemies who would destroy them... well, actually we would probably be one of them...

Trouble maker! :P

I would just add that the reason Israel faces the difficulties that they continually do is related to Biblical issues (whose land is it, etc.), a unique situation that Malta or any other tiny nation doesn't have to deal with, so it comes back as a faith issue because of that. If not for a Biblical claim to that land, their residence there would have no more legitimacy than the so-called Palestinians.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

goalieman wrote:
QuoVadisAnima wrote:

Trouble maker! :P

I would just add that the reason Israel faces the difficulties that they continually do is related to Biblical issues (whose land is it, etc.), a unique situation that Malta or any other tiny nation doesn't have to deal with, so it comes back as a faith issue because of that. If not for a Biblical claim to that land, their residence there would have no more legitimacy than the so-called Palestinians.

After World War II most of the nations of the world felt there was a legitimacy to provide this scattered people, the Jews, whose identity remains for always, a homeland. As we get further from the Holocaust, it is harder for people to remember why the British and other lands, including America, felt the Jews needed and deserved a home in their historical land.

The Palestinians had already started to leave Israel, the population small and sparse. The British owned 70% of the farmland. But when the Jews returned, so did many of their Palestinian neighbors. Under their freedoms and the amazing way Israelis recovered the fertility of the land, many Palestinians returned for the prosperity and freedom in their cities than what was available in any other Arab nations. The Palestinian population was not that great at the time Israel was made a state in 1948. Also, the British only let about 50,000 Jews return the first several years (I need to look up the numbers) so their population built up only slowly. I will try to research some of the demographics.

1. In the context of the Twentieth Century, post-World War II events, Israel became a state in response to the shocking near extinction of Jews at the hand of the Nazis.

2. Most nations had come to believe Israel needed a homeland where they would be safe and free, away from anti-Semitism.

3. Jerusalem and Israel always had a remnant of Jews living in the land of their forefathers. This was their land, not the Palestinians, who predominately lived in Jordan. As a people and nation, they had a right to exist.

4. The expansionism that gave them defensible borders on the Golan Heights, etc. came after their being attacked by the Arabs and Egyptians and defeating these enemy forces fairly.

5. Israel from the first was willing to negotiate a two-state solution, but they always insisted that the right to exist be acknowledged. Palestinian leaders consistently deny that right and are willing to take land from the Israelis (exp. Gaza) but then use it as a base to attack the land of Israel.

6. The Palestinians and Arabs have over 600,000 square miles in which to dwell. The Jews have around 8,000 square miles in the entire land. Obama would like to squeeze them into non-defensible borders of about 2,000 square miles, where they would be annihilated by terrorist groups surrounding them.

These are all non-Biblical reasons we need to support Israel, plus the fact she is our best ally, her people resemble ours in belief and values, her government is most like ours in granting freedoms. To prevent the further spread of shar'ia law, terrorism, Iranian nuclear terrorism against other nations in the Middle East as well as against the USA, ensuring a strong Israel is necessary to our security and a more peaceful Middle East.

But to me the most important reasons to support this land and its people are the spiritual ones. God has promised judgment to come on any nation that opposes His land and His people. I do not want our nation to be attacked and destroyed. I care about my children and grandchildren and want them to live in freedom.

But there are plenty of other reasons [read the full text of Netanyahu's speech above] that we MUST support and protect Israel. The worrisome thing to ask is where will our Commander-in-Chief stand, finally? Will he stand with those Arab nations he is appeasing, against Israel? It surely seems to be heading that way. And September is when the opening session of the United Nations convenes, on our own shores. Obama is trying to convince the Euro nations of his strange and dangerous plan of encircling and squeezing Israel into an indefensible ghetto. We must not let this happen.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:15 pm 
Lieutenant General

True democracy, and the freedom that comes with it, is the best hope for Israel and the Middle East. Only Israel and Turkey have maintained a true democratic government in that region of the world and they both struggle to preserve what they have created.

Few historians would deny that Israel existed as a nation and had a claim on the land and a functioning government up until the first century. The only claims on the area after that were by imperialist powers. There has never been a Palestinian State.

What I don't understand is why Israel's neighbors are not being asked to give up land for this so-called Palestinian State. Palestine is a region of land that encompasses parts of Lebanon, Syria, Jordan and Egypt as well as Israel.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 412 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next