Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:33 pm 
***** General

Liked: 190
http://news.yahoo.com/pawlenty-names-hu ... HuJPsWP5Z4

Well....I guess this ends any speculation that Gov. Huckabee might enter the race at some point.....Don't think Sarah would join Pawlenty's team if there was even a small chance Huck could change his mind..... :cry: :cry: :( :( :(

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:09 pm 

Liked: 340
Quote:
Pawlenty seeks to capture some Huckabee magic
By James Oliphant
July 5, 2011, 12:41 p.m.

Tim Pawlenty's lookin' for some Huck Luck.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders, Mike Huckabee’s daughter and an architect of the former Arkansas governor’s shocking win in the 2008 Iowa caucuses, is joining Pawlenty’s campaign as a strategist.

Sanders, who has always been her father’s closest political adviser, fits with Pawlenty’s current all-Iowa, all-the-time strategy. Mike Huckabee won Iowa by mounting a strong retail campaign, scoring well with Christian conservatives, and branding himself a straight-talking populist.

Pawlenty’s campaign said she will focus her efforts on the Iowa Straw Poll in August, viewed as a looming test of Pawlenty’s viability, and in building a greater grassroots operation in the state.

“Sarah is a results-oriented person with a great track record in Iowa and around the country,” Gov. Pawlenty said in a statement. “We are very excited Sarah is joining our team just as we are hitting our stride in Iowa.”

"It’s clear to me that Gov. Pawlenty has what it takes to unite the party, unite the country and beat President Obama,” said Sanders, who also masterminded former Rep. John Boozman's win over incumbent Sen. Blanche Lincoln in Arkanas last November.

While Pawlenty says he is hitting his "stride" in Iowa, a recent Des Moines Register poll disagreed, showing the candidate, who was among the first to launch a presidential campaign this year, trailing front-running Mitt Romney by 17 points. Fittingly, his campaign compared him to Huckabee, who was similarly behind in 2007.

Pawlenty is struggling with the aftereffects of what many viewed an early defining moment: his failure to more aggressively challenge Romney on the Massachusetts healthcare program at last month’s New Hampshire debate. His campaign reported raising just $4.2 million during the second quarter—a disappointing number. He was outdone by libertarian Ron Paul.

In the meantime, he’s seen fellow Minnesotan Michele Bachmann, at least for the moment, position herself as the leading alternative to Romney, a role Pawlenty had cast for himself.

It’s left Pawlenty searching for a way to regain momentum. This week, he’s making an appeal to fiscal conservatives and tea-party activists by applauding his home state’s government shutdown.

In a new ad airing in Iowa, Pawlenty points to his role in a 2005 confrontation that shut down state government while he was chief executive.

“Governor Tim Pawlenty refused to cave in to government unions,” the announcer in the ad states. “Minnesota government shut down. Why? Because Tim Pawlenty would not accept Democrats' massive tax-and-spending demands."

That shutdown lasted nine days, and last week, Pawlenty told reporters that he wishes it would have lasted longer, because he could have leveraged the situation to help his legislative agenda. And he urged the GOP-controlled state legislature to stick to its guns.

"There's going to be a variety of near-term impacts, but the longer-term goal is what is most important here," Pawlenty said.

Democratic Gov. Mark Dayton is trying to close a $5 billion gap in the budget--for which Pawlenty has seen some blame--and wants to raise revenues. In a position similar to that taken by Republicans on Capitol Hill, their Minnesota brethren will talk only about cuts, not revenue-enhancers. About 40,000 state employees received layoff notices Friday.

But it was Pawlenty’s willingness to accept a revenue item, a fee on cigarettes, termed a “health impact fee” that helped resolve the stalemate in 2005. He called it a “user fee” not a tax. It earned him the wrath of anti-tax groups such as Americans for Tax Reform.

To bring things full circle, Mike Huckabee was similarly ripped while governor of Arkanas for supporting a nursing home tax, which he also labeled a fee.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-pawlenty-huckabee-20110705,0,6695106.story

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:36 pm 
***** General

Liked: 259
A Pawlenty supporter had posted this inside information a few days ago over @race42012. Looks like he was correct.

Interesting how some of Huckabee's Iowa people have gone to Pawlenty and some to Bachmann.

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:50 pm 
***** General

Liked: 523
Might this be an indication of which way Huckabee's endorsement is likely to go?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:56 pm 
Brigadier Geneal

Liked: 84
I had planned on watching this election from the sideline. Then I watched the first debate and Gov. Pawlenty got my attention with his four little words, "I love the Huck." I began researching him and was very pleased with his record and wondered why some had labeled him as an establishment candidate. I have also listened to several of his speeches in which he is much more charismatic than what he first appeared to be. With all due respect to Congresswoman Bachmann, I feel that Tim Pawlenty speaks with more clarity on the issues, and is the better choice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:02 pm 
***** General

Maxine, can you share with us what it is about Pawlenty's record that is appealing to you?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:06 pm 
***** General

Maybe Pawlenty can be the executive function & McCotter can be his voice!

And Huckabee can be his VP! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:05 pm 
General

Liked: 41
Unfortunately, Maxine, no matter how great Pawlenty's resume is, the people prefer other candidates who are more charismatic, like Bachmann.

Yes, Pawlenty is an Establishment candidate just like Romney and Perry will be......they don't like Bachmann or Huckabee...you know the candidates that the people like!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:35 pm 
***** General

Liked: 92
For what it matters - some Iowa Huckabee supporters have not gone to any other candidate. Sarah Huckabee signing on with Pawlenty does not influence me at all.

Post by janelles has received Likes: 4 Huckabeliever, Indiana4Huck, justgrace, navyqueen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:10 pm 
Brigadier Geneal

Ironically, I learned more about his record from one who actually lives in Minnesota through her comments in debunking the various claims that he was "Romney, Jr." I also liked what I read in this article on his pro-life record in Minnesota:

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/26 ... ven-ertelt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:59 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 48
QuoVadisAnima wrote:
Might this be an indication of which way Huckabee's endorsement is likely to go?

In the back of my mind, I have wondered the same thing...that Huckabee may go for Pawlenty.

What made me think that was when Huckabee said he didn't like how Pawlenty performed in the debate in SC and said that he should fire his advisors. Here is a HA topic about it: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25465&p=213297&hilit=pawlenty#p213297

If you didn't "like" someone as a candidate, you probably wouldn't care very much how well they did.

http://twitter.com/raspberrygirl12
http://roannaj.blogspot.com/

Post by ohiorepublican09 Liked by: QuoVadisAnima

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:49 pm 
***** General

Pawlenty, for all his lack of charisma & ability to inspire, does seem to be the most sensible choice from the sorry field before us. At least he has executive experience, unlike a majority of the field; and he seems to have been a more effective executive than Romney or Palin. And that pro-life article was very encouraging!

He is the most well-rounded candidate. Still, I would like to know if he is a corporatist or if he has genuinely supported small business in his state.

(Think I'll follow McCotter for the entertainment value, keep praying for a miracle that brings Huck back in the mix, and if God answers no, then vote for Pawlenty IF he survives long enough to make it to TX's primary ballot. Not sure what I'll be thinking about it all tomorrow, though, let alone next week! :wink: )

Post by QuoVadisAnima Liked by: Texan4Huckabee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:45 am 
***** General

Liked: 525
I think that Pawlenty, no matter how decent a guy he is, will eventually leave the contest (he really did not do himself any favors by criticizing Romney from afar, then being nice in person and then later criticizing Romney from afar again and criticizing himself for not criticizing Romney in person). I would be very surprised if his campaign gathers some sudden momentum. Then again, I've constantly been wrong in all my other predictions, and so I guess he could. But I don't think so.

If he fizzles out and if Bachman isn't quite ready for prime time, that could possibly set a stage for Huck to reconsider. I don't know.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:30 am 
***** General

I can't help but wonder - and hope & pray - if GH would feel compelled to jump in if it looked like Romney was going to get the nomination...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:13 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
This from the Pawlenty website:

http://www.timpawlenty.com/articles/sar ... al-adviser

Quote:
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Joins Pawlenty for President as Senior Political Advisor
Team Pawlenty, 7/5/11 6:17PM

Sarah Huckabee Sanders is joining Gov. Tim Pawlenty’s presidential campaign as senior political advisor. She begins her new role in the campaign’s Iowa headquarters today, taking the lead for the campaign on the Iowa Straw Poll effort with a focus on expanding the campaign’s grassroots operations across the first-in-the-nation caucus state.

“Sarah is a results-oriented person with a great track record in Iowa and around the country,” Gov. Pawlenty said. “ We are very excited Sarah is joining our team just as we are hitting our stride in Iowa.”

“I’m delighted to join the Governor and First Lady in Iowa, which holds a special place in my heart,” Sanders said. “It’s clear to me that Gov. Pawlenty has what it takes to unite the party, unite the country and beat President Obama.”

In 2007-08, Sarah Huckabee Sanders helped lead her father, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, to victory in the Iowa caucuses as his national political director. In 2010, she was campaign manager for John Boozman’s successful U.S. Senate campaign in Arkansas. Sarah was recently named one of TIME Magazine’s “40 under 40” and is widely recognized to be one of the best political operatives of her generation. Sarah is a full-time consultant with Tsamoutales Strategies, a transnational consulting firm.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:22 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
And this is an email from Pawlenty's campaign to supporters:

Quote:
I'm happy to announce that Sarah Huckabee Sanders has joined our campaign as a senior political adviser leading the straw poll effort in Iowa. As many of you know, Sarah helped lead her father, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, to victory in the Iowa caucuses as his national political director.

Read the announcement http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php ... al-adviser

Sarah will focus on expanding the campaign's grassroots operations across the first-in-the-nation caucus state and play a pivotal role in strategy, tactics, and execution at all levels of my campaign. Mary and I are thrilled she has joined our team. Please join me in welcoming Sarah to our team.

Also, my second Iowa TV ad is up and the subject could not be more timely. As states across the country struggle with balancing budgets, this ad highlights my record of solving fiscal challenges without raising taxes — even if it meant shutting down the government. Our nation needs a President with a proven record of conservative leadership who is not afraid to stand up for what is right. President Obama hasn't. I will.

Watch the ad
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php ... t-rhetoric

Please share the video with your friends and family.

Thank you for your continued support and encouragement.

Sincerely,

Tim Pawlenty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:35 am 

Liked: 340
How about a Pawlenty/Huckabee ticket? Wouldn't that be quite balanced, i.e. one a Southerner, the other not, the one not such a charismatic personality whereas the other is, but both not polarizing figures and appealing to independents?

Doesn't the fact the Sarah Huckabee signs on with Pawlenty at least indicate that Pawlenty might consider asking Huck to be his VP?

Maybe this is how things could or should work out?

Post by Peter Liked by: justgrace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:44 pm 
Brigadier Geneal

I have read many comments that are concerned about the "lack of charisma" in Tim Pawlenty. I will try to post a video later in which he does speak with more enthusiasm than his recent appearances on TV. We have already seen, however, what "charisma" without substance can produce--the one who is in the White House now!! :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:01 pm 
Major

Liked: 90
mxnwilson wrote:
I have read many comments that are concerned about the "lack of charisma" in Tim Pawlenty. I will try to post a video later in which he does speak with more enthusiasm than his recent appearances on TV. We have already seen, however, what "charisma" without substance can produce--the one who is in the White House now!! :roll:

Yes, but substance without charisma makes the general a crap shoot at best. I really dont think T-paw will be the nominee. In fact I don't think Sarah will end up with a 2nd place finish like she had last time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:13 pm 
***** General

Liked: 32
If I get myself to the polls -- and in NYS it really does not matter -- I will vote for Pawlenty. I am looking always for competency -- not charisma. Huckabee had charisma but that is not what drew me to him -- although it pumped up his popularity.

In my opinion, unfortunately, I think Romney will take the primary and Obama will be back for a second term. I honestly think Obama will be reelected no matter who wins the primary -- but the GOP should attempt to be serious so as not to loose all credibility. For their sake, I hope the primary is not reduced to a front line of losers.

Clearly, in 2012, the best men sat it out!!