Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:41 pm 
***** General

Liked: 183
I can tell you there are more than "four" people talking about this and considering it....it's just not clear whether we will do more harm than good.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:46 pm 
***** General

Liked: 525
I would just lose my mind in joy if Huck won the Iowa Straw Poll. I think it would cause him to rethink.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:56 pm 
***** General

Liked: 31
Steadfast wrote:
I can tell you there are more than "four" people talking about this and considering it....it's just not clear whether we will do more harm than good.

I will defer to the decision of the people whose boots are on the ground in Iowa. My 2 cents is that I fail to see any harm in this effort, and even if I could be persuaded that there is any, it would pale in comparison to the good.
(The ultimate good being a Straw Poll WIN for G.H.,(approx 4,000 votes) followed by a Draft Mike campaign by the establishment in the face of an underwhelming field, a subsequent candidacy by GH.....Republican nomination.....Presidency.....save nation...etc.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:35 pm 
Major

Liked: 90
Steadfast wrote:

I see what you are saying, but at the same time I do not think this is a debate. The one and only reason anyone has given for NOT doing it is because Sarah is campagining for TPAW. Huckabee TODAY said he isnt backing anyone right now. Yes, he is related to Sarah, but thats it. They are separate political entities and a campaign for Huck is not a campaign against a member of his family. It is a push for what we as Huckabee supports honestly believe the nation NEEDS.

I guess I am with Steves that whatever the boots decide is what I support. If it is nothing at this time, then so be it. If it is something simple like a few flyers around town, then that is fine too. And if it is recruiting voters at $30 a pop and going door to door with flyers, then tell me where to send my doantion.

Post by karrboy84 has received Likes: 3 chapelccino, Indiana4Huck, Texan4Huckabee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:51 pm 
Sergeant

Liked: 10
I agree that we need to get some input from more people in Iowa willing to do the real heavy lifting. If there is a group that is willing to do the real work then I'm sure we can get some people do donate. I'd be in.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:07 pm 
Major

I HAVE AN IDEA!!!!

Does anyone get emails from HuckPac? Of course. We probably are all signed up. Do you remember getting one about voting for Huck in a presidential poll "just for fun"? At the time I thought it was cool that Huck was using some influence to keep his base interested.

What if HuckPac sent out an email "Just for Fun" to all of their Iowa supporters to write in Hucks name? What if, "Just for fun", they set some type of goal, like 2500 people who would committ to go to the polls and vote for Huck? Does anyone have connections with HuckPac? One email or one facebook message could really get things moving. I think Paul might be the only one who has that much of a grassroots base in Iowa.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:36 pm 
***** General

Liked: 211
When Barack Obama smeared John McCain on election day in 2008 Iowa's core Huckabee supporters woke up the next day and worked tirelessly from then on to ensure that our state would be Huck's again if he chose to run in 2012....and we were aiming for a blow-out. (And many good people on here helped us immensely with our efftorts. Thank you again.) None of us knew if he would choose to run again but it didn't matter to us because we knew that if we waited for his decision it may be too late. He was worth the work even though we knew it may never come to fruition. None of us regret a minute of it. As in the immortal words of Garth Brooks..."I could have missed the pain but I would've had to miss the dance."

Part of this preparation was getting ready for the straw poll this year. We were already preparing for it months in advance because we knew that if GH entered the race it would most likely be right before the straw poll with limited time to organize supporters so we wanted a head start. We also knew that he might not enter until after the straw poll but we still wanted organization in place for a possible write-in vote.

The Iowa straw poll is not a normal straw poll...it is a pay for play. It is a huge undertaking for DECLARED candidates to get their supporters there. It usually involves purchasing large quantities of tickets to give out for free and also giving supporters free transportation to the event. 90% of the people that attend the straw poll already have decided on a candidate and are there to cast their vote. They don't usually take the time out of a hot summer Saturday to drive up to 3.5 hours away to come in as an undecided and then vote for whoever.

A lot of people think Huckabee's "surprise" finish in the 2007 straw poll was some miracle because of his lack of organization. He may not have had the paid organization in place that other candidates had but he had a grassroots network that were very organized and most likely worked harder then his paid staff. They were the ones identifying supporters for the straw poll and using Romney's tickets and transportation to get them there. Huckabee's success wasn't a fluke at that straw poll. It was organization and hard work....it just didn't come from all paid staff. Because of this he beat Brownback by 400 votes and even though Romney walked away with a solid victory it was GH who was the talk of the media and changed his course forever.

If Huckabee was still an undecided candidate as Palin and Perry are then we would be all about this effort. As I stated before, we were already planning for this months ahead of the straw poll because we knew that is what type of organization it would take especially if he wasn't a candidate yet at the time. We knew what we were planning would be almost impossible to pull off. Right now, however, he is not only not a candidate but he is someone who told 4 million people in May that he is not running at this time.

In order to make an impact at the straw poll for GH we would need at least 1000 votes and with all of the above stacked against us along with less then three weeks to do it, that is not going to happen. The votes that we do get will just look like protest votes that our candidate is not running and I doubt we can get many people to the straw poll to do just that. It may just end up looking silly and doing more harm than good.

Before GH announced his decision on May 14 we did everything humanly possible to make sure he would hit the ground running if he chose to run and he was aware of this immense support that was still here and growing. He had almost everything external he needed, as he stated in his announcement, for running for President but he still ruled against it right now because of the internal. The straw poll would be yet another external.

There are many signs pointing to that he will not change his mind and run in 2012 and he and his family may think that he will not, but something may change internally for him that nobody ever expected...not even him. He has always stated that he cannot know or predict the future. It is this internal change that will put him back in the race and not another external one like write-in votes at the straw poll....no matter how many he ends up getting.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we have done everything we can for him and he knows that and the conclusion is up to him. Sometimes you have to let go and let God. Pray for Gov. Huckabee.

TEAM HUCK IOWA
http://www.facebook.com/TeamHuckIowa

Post by Iowans Rock has received Likes: 3 All-in-for-Mike, ConservTexan, mxnwilson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:34 pm 
***** General

Liked: 374
Thanks for writng all that out IR. I was mulling over the idea of printing as many fliers as possible and driving up to Iowa for the poll. My idea was based on a faulty understanding of the dynamics of the poll, so you've spared me a lot of time and sweat by filling me in on how it works. :)

Or bring more or more blazon man’s distress.
And I not help. Nor word now of success:
All is from wreck, here, there, to rescue one—
Work which to see scarce so much as begun
Makes welcome death, does dear forgetfulness.
Or what is else? There is your world within.
There rid the dragons, root out there the sin.
Your will is law in that small commonweal…
G.M. Hopkins.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:39 pm 
Major

:( Well I hope anyone on this site that is close enough to go vote will do so. Maybe he will get votes despite not having a ground swell of last minute support. Then things will really get shaken up. I guess until we get past November (when presidential candidates have to declare) I won't give up hope of a Huckabee run.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:42 pm 
***** General

Liked: 183
FYI - I just posted this in our private MH2012 Facebook group:

Quote:
I've done a lot of thinking/praying about the idea of an organized effort to get GMH write-in support...and have decided not to participate. I think we could do more harm than good - particularly if we would somehow change the final result... and end up hurting a candidate whom might be an acceptable nominee for us eventually. I certainly don't want to discourage others - you'll have to make your own decision. I still plan to be in Iowa for the straw poll - working the Huck PAC booth. I'm also attending the Fox prez debate on Thursday night....and the whole time will be hoping that someday in the future I'll attend a prez debate with GMH on that stage :)

Post by Steadfast Liked by: mxnwilson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:06 pm 
***** General

Liked: 211
Believe me, I understand where all of you are coming from. If people are still wanting to write him in then I say go for it, but an organized effort is just not right or effective at this point in time.

It will be interesting to see how many he gets without any organized effort. You know the Perry and Palin will have some sort of write-in effort. Wouldn't it be cool if GH beat them without us even trying.

TEAM HUCK IOWA
http://www.facebook.com/TeamHuckIowa

Post by Iowans Rock Liked by: mxnwilson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:18 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 22
I must say I am disappointed. Sometimes we have to be the hands and the feet to cause the internal to stir. Sometimes, WE have to be the SOMEBODY and DO the SOMETHING.

I have no doubt that if by some miracle Huckabee would win the Iowa straw poll as a write-in candidate in a race that he has already said he is NOT running in, Governor Huckabee could see that as a sign that he should reconsider getting in this thing.(and make no mistake about it it would be a miracle if he were to win or finish well)

We would need to identify and get 4000 voters to the poll to cast a vote for Governor Huckabee for this thing to work.

FairTax Indiana on Facebook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:45 pm 
Major

higgybaby4huck wrote:
I must say I am disappointed. Sometimes we have to be the hands and the feet to cause the internal to stir. Sometimes, WE have to be the SOMEBODY and DO the SOMETHING.

I have no doubt that if by some miracle Huckabee would win the Iowa straw poll as a write-in candidate in a race that he has already said he is NOT running in, Governor Huckabee could see that as a sign that he should reconsider getting in this thing.(and make no mistake about it it would be a miracle if he were to win or finish well)

We would need to identify and get 4000 voters to the poll to cast a vote for Governor Huckabee for this thing to work.

Ummm, by my calcualtions you dont need anywhere near that. 2007 there were 14,000+ votes but it was the 2nd highest turnout ever. The passion is alot lower this year plus Romney isnt bringing his people in plus perry and palin arent on the ticket. I would think it would be clsoer to 10,000 total votes. Paul and Bachmann will be the leaders but santorum, cain, and tpaw will make waves too. There is a legit chance that 1st place is won with 20-25% of the votes. I'd say the number is closer to 2500 for a win and as low as 1000 for a 3rd place if bachmann and paul both hit around the 2400-2500 mark and 4 or 5 candidates reach 600-900. Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:29 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 73
Iowansrock wrote:
Quote:
There are many signs pointing to that he will not change his mind and run in 2012 and he and his family may think that he will not, but something may change internally for him that nobody ever expected...not even him. He has always stated that he cannot know or predict the future. It is this internal change that will put him back in the race and not another external one like write-in votes at the straw poll....no matter how many he ends up getting.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we have done everything we can for him and he knows that and the conclusion is up to him. Sometimes you have to let go and let God. Pray for Gov. Huckabee.

I sadly agree with you Iowansrock. But it sure is hard to sit and do nothing when we see a chance to "act". Few could want Mike to run more than I, but I do believe it is best left in God's hands. It will take more than Mike's faithful to make it happen, it will take a miracle. And for that, I CAN pray. :pray :pray

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:03 pm 
***** General

Liked: 523
Agh, talk about conflicted - somehow I agree with everybody here! :(

With all that has been going on, things look so bleak - I have been begging God to send us a ray of hope for the future of our country. So far, He has been disturbingly silent on that subject...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:47 pm 
Major

QuoVadisAnima wrote:
Agh, talk about conflicted - somehow I agree with everybody here! :(

With all that has been going on, things look so bleak - I have been begging God to send us a ray of hope for the future of our country. So far, He has been disturbingly silent on that subject...

Well, apparently some of us look harder than others or see things that aren't there. I dont really know what to call this other than "a ray of hope"...unfortunately it seems like it will soon be classified as "a missed opportunity". :balling :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike :dislike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:45 pm 
***** General

Liked: 259
I think the only person who could get Mike Huckabee to run right now would be baby Chandler-and his first words being "Run Grandpa Run!" If he were able to say that being only a month old, we would know it was divine intervention, and so would Huck.

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

Post by ConservTexan Liked by: GrannyT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:02 am 
***** General

Liked: 523
karrboy, I feel your disappointment, believe me, but if this were the Lord's answer to my prayer, He would be helping the impossible become possible.

Since all the doors are slamming shut, I think it's a safe bet that we're still in a holding pattern for that ray.

I don't rule out a miracle; only that He does not appear to want us to attempt to force His hand for this particular one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:18 am 
***** General

Liked: 31
Indiana4Huck wrote:
Iowansrock wrote:
Quote:

I sadly agree with you Iowansrock. But it sure is hard to sit and do nothing when we see a chance to "act". Few could want Mike to run more than I, but I do believe it is best left in God's hands. It will take more than Mike's faithful to make it happen, it will take a miracle. And for that, I CAN pray. :pray :pray

Being a bit less religious than most of you here, I have a harder time taking no action but to pray. Left in God's hands you say? What would you call the development that the Straw Poll is actually counting write-in votes for the first time? Only a coincidence? What would be a more acceptable "sign"? A mishap during the printing of the ballots whereby an ink blot drips onto it in the shape of Mike's bass guitar and is reproduced for all 10k attendees?
This all reminds me of the following joke:

God Will Save Me
One day a priest was preaching a sermon during an outdoor mass when suddenly there is a large flash flood. People run out of the church and everything is in chaos. A man runs up to the priest and says “Father we have to get out of here!” But the priest is calm and says “God will save me.” The man runs off

Soon water is up to the Priest’s shins. A man in a canoe rows up to the Priest and says “Father we have to get out of here!” But the priest is calm and says “God will save me.” The man rows away.

Soon water is up to the Priest’s hips. A man in a power boat sails next to the Priest and says “Father we have to get out of here!” But the priest is calm and says “God will save me.” The man starts up his engine and cruises away

Soon water is up to the Priest’s chest. A helicopter rescue unit pulls near the Priest and says “Father we have to get out of here!” But the priest is calm and says “God will save me.” The team flies away

Soon the water is above the Priest’s head and he faints. The Priest wakes up in heaven next to God. “Why didn’t you save me God!” cried the Priest. “What do you mean?” God asked. “I sent you two boats and a helicopter!”

***This write-in development is the helicopter.........
Maybe it all amounts to nothing, but an email or 2 to the lists of prospective straw poll attendees, fliers on the day of.....heck even a few ads in the local major papers (provided we could drum up the resources) don't seem like too much effort.

Post by steves Liked by: twitter2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:14 am 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 22
I agree 100% with Steves here.

FairTax Indiana on Facebook

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next