Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:54 am 
Offline
***** General
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:41 pm
Posts: 2474
Location: Western Virginia
Likes: 368
Liked: 133
Hey Everybody! (Didn't we used to have a waving smilie?)

Miss you all and thought of you when I got this in my inbox from the Family Foundation of Virginia. It echoes so many things that Gov. Huckabee has always said, citing research conducted by a UVa sociology professor :shock: (not the most conservative school in these parts).

The paragraph I bolded about the Dept of Social Services has me a little surprised. This is not an agency that I would have guessed would be family-friendly.

Of course, how they implement their new policies remains to be seen, but all-in-all I think this tone is a reflection of our current (Huck-PAC endorsed) leadership in Governor McDonnell, and AG Ken Cuccinelli. (I'm not ready to forgive Lt. Gov. Bolling for heading up Romney's 2012 Virginia campaign.) Our state and local campaigns are so important.

I pop in every week or so to check up on you all, and I'm always so glad to see activity still happening here. If I ever get my life organized, I'll be back more regularly.

Mary

Quote:
Victoria Cobb, President
The Family Foundation
Monday, August 22, 2011

Information Alert: McDonnell Comments on Family, Child Poverty

On Friday, Governor Bob McDonnell said something that social scientists have known for quite some time: family fragmentation is costing our culture dearly. Of course, such a pronouncement made news presumably because it doesn’t place the blame for poverty at the feet of “the rich.”

But the Governor is right. University of Virginia sociology professor Brad Wilcox is one of the nation’s foremost experts on the impact of family breakdown and its effect on children. His research, as well as the research of many others, shows one of the primary reasons for poverty in our nation is not the lack of a large enough “safety net,” it is lack of intact families. He suggests that childhood poverty could drop as much as 20 percent if we increased the marriage rate in Virginia.

The science also tells us that it is our children who suffer most from family breakdown. Kids who do not live in intact families are more likely to have lower academic performance, are more likely to engage in risky sexual activity, use illicit drugs, and have disciple problems. Intact marriage, on the other hand, can have significant social and economic benefits for everyone involved, promoting better physical health, improving finances, and providing the emotional stability to raise well-adjusted children.

The statistics are the evidence of why government actually does have a fundamental interest in marriage. Those libertarians who make the absurd claim that “government should get out of marriage” simply don’t understand the inexorable link between good families and good government. They may long for “limited government,” but by reducing marriage to a “religious” thing, they invite ever expanding government programs.

A 2008 study estimated that Virginians pay approximately $776 million per year in safety net programs due to out-of-wedlock births and family fragmentation, a number researchers called very conservative because it didn’t include things like health care costs. Overall, Americans pay at least $112 billion per year in these programs.

Already, the Virginia Department of Social Services has recognized the importance of rebuilding families. According to its website, DSS “is developing a system-wide approach to strengthening families that focuses on the following three goals: reducing non-marital births; connecting and reconnecting fathers with their childrenl; and encouraging the formation and maintenance of safe, stable, intact, two-parent families.”

As the economy continues to struggle and policy makers look for solutions to our ever increasing national debt, they should not ignore marriage policies. By avoiding these issues they miss an opportunity to bring real solutions to the problem of poverty in our nation. Policy experts are ready and able to make suggestions; it’s high time our elected officials start listening. Based on his comments Friday and what is happening at DSS, Governor McDonnell already has.

_________________
"Never, Never, NEVER GIVE UP" Winston Churchill



Post by WhatsNotToLike? Liked by: miracleshappen
Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:31 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:03 am
Posts: 4844
Likes: 1174
Liked: 782
So good to see you back, Mary!

Yes, you have hit upon one of the most impacting influences upon society--family. If, as President Reagan said, the family is the backbone of society, and our families are falling apart, it is little wonder costs of services that families should be taking care of are rising so fast.

These are generally good goals:
Quote:
three goals: reducing non-marital births; connecting and reconnecting fathers with their children; and encouraging the formation and maintenance of safe, stable, intact, two-parent families.”


I would add that the traditional view of marriage, of one man and one woman, is what we need to advocate, lest there be any confusion. As Huckabee has affirmed, children need a father and a mother.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:49 pm 
Offline
***** General
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:47 pm
Posts: 4564
Location: Texas
Likes: 554
Liked: 523
Unfortunately, "reducing non-marital births" typically means making sex ed, birth control & abortion more readily available. In fact, even the phrase "two-parent families" can't be trusted anymore without specifics. :(

P.S. Glad to know you're still with us, Mary!


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:39 pm 
Offline
***** General
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:52 pm
Posts: 4803
Location: Texas
Likes: 90
Liked: 259
Thanks for the post Mary.

Looking forward to seeing you back on a regular basis!

_________________
ConservTexan

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:00 am 
Offline
***** General

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:12 pm
Posts: 4153
Likes: 307
Liked: 525
It should be most obvious to everyone that the broken family structure is probably America's #1 social problem.

How can a single parent bring in the same amount of income needed to support a family while providing care for the children as a two-parent team? They can work very very hard to try to do this - and many do an outstanding job at it. But you just can't. 1 simply does not equal 1 + 1.

The biggest single problem in the black community, in my opinion, is the fact that a huge percentage of black kids in this country are growing up without two parents being in the home and often without dads. I'd like to see some of my self-appointed "black leaders" lead a protest march to bring attention to this issue (not holding my breath for this one - they'll jump on a racial remark in a minute but most of them are severely afraid of being criticized by other black folks or being called an "Uncle Tom" for bringing attention to this issue). So many kids, especially boys, who don't have fathers around end up seeking most of their guidance and direction from their peers, who don't have fathers in the home either. The result is often chaos and poverty. Fewer white kids are in single-parent families, however, their households are becoming single-parent at an even faster rate.

My dad is the greatest man I have ever known. He is suffering with Alzheimer's disease now, which constantly breaks my heart, but, every day I am grateful for the things he did for me while I was growing up. I learned when I was a little kid that mom and dad were in charge and that I wasn't. My mother is a wonderful lady and I love her with all my heart. However, as I got older, became stronger, my voice deepened and grew chest hair, the thing that motivated me most from making more poor decisions in life wasn't my mom or even other authority figures (police, school principal, etc). My biggest motivation to not be a screw up was that I knew that if I did something stupid, I'd eventually have to go home and face my dad. Without being in any way abusive, my dad's presence and the authority he conveyed convinced me from my earliest memories that I did not want to end up on the wrong side of the man. Thus, I pretty much never got in any real trouble. In addition, without realizing I was learning it at the time, seeing his example has shown me how to be a father to my son, how to be a hard worker, how to treat my wife and how to be a servant to my family. I'm sorry for soap-boxing again, but, I don't know what my life would have been like if I had not had the privilege of growing up in a home with both of my parents.

We have as a society allowed two-parent families to be considered "optional." This is a lie from the pit of hell and we need to understand that as our families fall apart, our country falls apart.

Thanks for sharing the article!

_________________
The Values Voter
http://thevaluesvoter.spaces.live.com



Post by TheValuesVoter has received Likes: 3 juditupp, justgrace, miracleshappen
Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:30 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:03 am
Posts: 4844
Likes: 1174
Liked: 782
TheValuesVoter wrote:
It should be most obvious to everyone that the broken family structure is probably America's #1 social problem.

How can a single parent bring in the same amount of income needed to support a family while providing care for the children as a two-parent team? They can work very very hard to try to do this - and many do an outstanding job at it. But you just can't. 1 simply does not equal 1 + 1.

The biggest single problem in the black community, in my opinion, is the fact that a huge percentage of black kids in this country are growing up without two parents being in the home and often without dads. I'd like to see some of my self-appointed "black leaders" lead a protest march to bring attention to this issue (not holding my breath for this one - they'll jump on a racial remark in a minute but most of them are severely afraid of being criticized by other black folks or being called an "Uncle Tom" for bringing attention to this issue). So many kids, especially boys, who don't have fathers around end up seeking most of their guidance and direction from their peers, who don't have fathers in the home either. The result is often chaos and poverty. Fewer white kids are in single-parent families, however, their households are becoming single-parent at an even faster rate.

My dad is the greatest man I have ever known. He is suffering with Alzheimer's disease now, which constantly breaks my heart, but, every day I am grateful for the things he did for me while I was growing up. I learned when I was a little kid that mom and dad were in charge and that I wasn't. My mother is a wonderful lady and I love her with all my heart. However, as I got older, became stronger, my voice deepened and grew chest hair, the thing that motivated me most from making more poor decisions in life wasn't my mom or even other authority figures (police, school principal, etc). My biggest motivation to not be a screw up was that I knew that if I did something stupid, I'd eventually have to go home and face my dad. Without being in any way abusive, my dad's presence and the authority he conveyed convinced me from my earliest memories that I did not want to end up on the wrong side of the man. Thus, I pretty much never got in any real trouble. In addition, without realizing I was learning it at the time, seeing his example has shown me how to be a father to my son, how to be a hard worker, how to treat my wife and how to be a servant to my family. I'm sorry for soap-boxing again, but, I don't know what my life would have been like if I had not had the privilege of growing up in a home with both of my parents.

We have as a society allowed two-parent families to be considered "optional." This is a lie from the pit of hell and we need to understand that as our families fall apart, our country falls apart.

Thanks for sharing the article!


You were blessed, TVV, to be a blessing to others. And you certainly are!

So sorry to hear about your Dad's illness! But to have had this kind of home with loving, devoted parents is a blessing that many kids today do not have, partly as a result of easy divorce and a hedonistic media and culture.

Also, I am finding that church teaching is becoming much less firm about marriage and sexual purity. Why are we afraid as believers that we may step on toes to explain God's pattern? We all sin...all need instruction and God's grace.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:39 am 
Offline
***** General

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:12 pm
Posts: 4153
Likes: 307
Liked: 525
justgrace wrote:
You were blessed, TVV, to be a blessing to others. And you certainly are!

So sorry to hear about your Dad's illness! But to have had this kind of home with loving, devoted parents is a blessing that many kids today do not have, partly as a result of easy divorce and a hedonistic media and culture.

Also, I am finding that church teaching is becoming much less firm about marriage and sexual purity. Why are we afraid as believers that we may step on toes to explain God's pattern? We all sin...all need instruction and God's grace.



Thanks so much, Justgrace! And you are right about church teaching. It seems like many believers have just accepted/adopted the standards of the world. It sort of shows our arrogance in a way. A formula - the formula of marriage and children being conceived within marriage - has worked for all the years that the world has been in existence. And now we suddenly think that the thing that has sustained us from the beginning of time is old fashioned and that we're smarter and have a better way of doing things. The results are clearly showing that this is not the case at all. We can't change the definition of marriage or start de-emphasizing its importance. It is the foundation of all other human relationships as well as the foundation of every stable society.

_________________
The Values Voter
http://thevaluesvoter.spaces.live.com


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
POWERED_BY