Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:55 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel

Liked: 20
http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/Christie-president-Romney-Perry/2011/09/23/id/412133

So does anyone know Huckabee's ties to Christie? Did Huckabee endorse Christie in New Jersey? Huckabee seems hesitant towards Perry and Romney, but does he like Christie?

Quote:
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is reconsidering his decision not to enter the 2012 presidential race — and he says he will let top Republican donors know within days about his plans, Newsmax has learned.

During the past few weeks, several leading Republican donors and fundraisers have been urging the popular Republican governor to reconsider his decision not to run and to enter the GOP primary.

These Christie supporters note that significant GOP support has remained on the sidelines of the primary fight. Many leading fundraisers have yet to commit to any current primary contender, including frontrunners Rick Perry and Mitt Romney.

Newsmax has learned that the effort to draft Christie culminated in a hush-hush powwow held in the past week with Christie and several notable Republican billionaires.

A source familiar with the meeting suggested that Christie seemed inclined to enter the race but said he needed more time.

Christie promised to make a final decision "within two weeks," the source said.

Another source involved in GOP fundraising tells Newsmax that that uncommitted fundraisers and donors have been receiving phone calls from top political aides to Christie, seeking their feedback about his possible entry into the race.

Read more on Newsmax.com: Chris Christie Reconsidering 2012 Run, Will Decide in Days
Important: Do You Support Pres. Obama's Re-Election? Vote Here Now!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:09 pm 
***** General

Liked: 259
This tweet shows a few political peeps:

JimPethokoukis James Pethokoukis
by guypbenson
RT @PeterHambyCNN: Newsmax story "not true," Christie adviser tells me. Shocking.

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:17 pm 
***** General

Liked: 374
Well, I was going to say the following: "I hope he gets in so I have someone I feel comfortable supporting. I'm not sure he's ready to be president, but I see him as more qualified than Perry, more principled than Romney, more electable than Santorum. I also think he's someone who can speak from the heart in the way Huckabee and Santorum do."

Now I see the post about how this story isn't true. Well darn. I wouldn't be surprised if someone else gets in though. Not sure who it would be.

Matt Dowd, former W. strategist and pollster, wrote this earlier, "Finally, I have this gut feeling that we aren’t looking right now at who will be inaugurated president in January 2013. I don’t know if another Democrat will get in to challenge President Obama, another Republican, or an independent candidate will surface, but it seems to me we aren’t looking at our next president yet. Just a thought and suspicion in this time of great change and tremendous need for a different kind of leader. "

Update: Just saw on Twitter that Steve Hayes of the Weekly Standard made some calls to see if the Newsmax story was true or not; he said he heard "no" and "maybe."

Or bring more or more blazon man’s distress.
And I not help. Nor word now of success:
All is from wreck, here, there, to rescue one—
Work which to see scarce so much as begun
Makes welcome death, does dear forgetfulness.
Or what is else? There is your world within.
There rid the dragons, root out there the sin.
Your will is law in that small commonweal…
G.M. Hopkins.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:22 pm 
***** General

Just saw something on twitter about the Huck. Someone tweeted Ed Morissey asking if he'd heard anything about Huck reconsidering. Morissey said no. Original tweeter said, "ok. I heard his name mentioned in a tweet along with Christy, as considering a run, but then nothing else."

G.M. Hopkins.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:28 am 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 208
Chris Christie is not viable at this point. He's more moderate and can't win in Iowa, and Romney has New Hampshire locked up. After that is South Carolina where Christie again wouldn't play that well, and then there's Florida. Christie would have to essentially adopt a Rudy Giuliani Florida strategy, and we know how that works out.

The only viable new candidates are ones that could compete in Iowa and South Carolina and go into Florida with some momentum.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:36 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
WalterCan wrote:
Chris Christie is not viable at this point. He's more moderate and can't win in Iowa, and Romney has New Hampshire locked up. After that is South Carolina where Christie again wouldn't play that well, and then there's Florida. Christie would have to essentially adopt a Rudy Giuliani Florida strategy, and we know how that works out.

The only viable new candidates are ones that could compete in Iowa and South Carolina and go into Florida with some momentum.

I turned to the Mark Levin show yesterday, thinking he might have something to say about the Israeli/Palestine issue. He didn't, but he had lots to say about Christie, mostly negative. He says the Republican establishment is pushing him because he is more moderate, more acceptable for the New England/northeast area.

The "big money" has not been willing to contribute yet to any candidate, probably considering the current ones too conservative. Levin says they want someone like President Ford or Nelson Rockefeller.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:06 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
Newsweek comments:

Quote:
Senior aides to Christie have been quietly urging his supporters not to commit to Perry, indicating Christie was still mulling a bid and would make a final decision after New Jersey's legislative races are completed in November.

But the rapidly changing primary landscape may be changing that timetable.

Perry's quick rise in the polls and indications he may be fading — coupled with nagging questions about Romney's ability to lead the party after backing a Massachusetts healthcare law ominously similar to President Barack Obama's own Obamacare program — may have created a window of opportunity for Christie.

Read more on Newsmax.com: Chris Christie Reconsidering 2012 Run, Will Decide in Days
Important: Do You Support Pres. Obama's Re-Election? Vote Here Now!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:25 am 
***** General

Liked: 215
Newsmax is pretty unreliable in my opinion, but I wouldn't be surprised if people are still pushing Christie to get in. Our current field just doesn't cut it.

It would be nice to hear one more decisive "no" from Christie for those of us still holding out hope that those who are pushing him to reconsider will give Huck a second look, which very well could result in Huck having second thoughts about staying out.

ATTENTION GUESTS: Thanks for checking out our Discussion Forum. Before you go, please take a minute to click on the image below and get registered to join the discussion. You'll enjoy all the perks, such as being able to track which posts you've read already. It will also allow us to contact you with important news and information. Plus, we'd just love to hear what you have to say!

MEMBERS: Want to put the "Get Registered" image in your signature? Learn how here.

______________________Image______________________

Post by cschande Liked by: Southern Doc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:20 pm 
***** General

Liked: 183
I agree with Chris that Newsmax is unreliable.

I did see that Mitch Daniels has been lobbying Christie, so I do believe that there is/has been continued pressure on him to run. I imagine this pressure is hard to resist.

I also agree with Waltercan that Christie's path to the nomination is questionable.

Christie has not been vetted on a national level yet. I think something similar to Perry could happen to Christie. There was all the buzz about Perry and his poll numbers shot up when he initially got in the race...well now he is fading under the scrutiny of the national media and his debate performances.

Up to this point I have admired Christie for his loyalty to his constituents. I think many will view a prez candidacy as going back on his word. IMO he needs a little more seasoning/experience before it is his time.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:44 pm 
Major General

Liked: 54
WalterCan wrote:

I think your point is well taken Walter. If someone is not prepared to compete very strongly in both Iowa and SC, I can not see a path for them against Romney. Romney still has strength in Florida and it will be too late to begin to try and make an impact that late if one hasn't already gained some momentum in previous states.

As far as I can tell at this point, only Huckabee is in a position to defeat both Romney and Obama in this election cycle. Others may, but I do not consider a win for Romney a win for conservative principles, and I am not entirely ignorant on this topic.

When will the GOP wake up and pay a call to Gov. Huckabee.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:17 pm 
***** General

byourCreator wrote:

When will the GOP wake up and pay a call to Gov. Huckabee.

GOP elites have tunnel vision when it comes to candidates. Gov. Huckabee doesn't fit their mold. They are dismissive of him.

I believe 2012 is a unique opportunity for a true candidate of the people and not someone ordered up by the party/media.

Conservative voters are more engaged than I have ever seen in my lifetime. We are paying attention and want to have something to say about who leads our country. But I can tell you this - many conservatives (especially socons) are getting frustrated with this presidential field.

Post by Steadfast Liked by: All-in-for-Mike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:19 pm 
***** General

Liked: 190
What can we do to get Governor Huckabee to take another look at running? I can tell he is not wild about any of the current feild. Early on when he was talking about whether he would run or not, he said there might be a candidate I can get behind and, in that case, I wouldn't run. Well, there is NO candidate like that out there so, it seems to me, he should be on the field, not sitting on the bench.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:28 pm 
***** General

Liked: 169
nrobyar wrote:
What can we do to get Governor Huckabee to take another look at running? I can tell he is not wild about any of the current feild. Early on when he was talking about whether he would run or not, he said there might be a candidate I can get behind and, in that case, I wouldn't run. Well, there is NO candidate like that out there so, it seems to me, he should be on the field, not sitting on the bench.

I've started posting brief comments on HuckPAC.com and on the feedback for his TV show, www.MikeHuckabee.com "Feedback" button.

Also on Twitter there are still a lot of people mentioning Mike's name, and the hastag is #RunMikeRun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:35 am 
***** General

Story lent additional credibility by Politico

Quote:
With the party’s frontrunner sagging, Chris Christie is reconsidering pleas from Republican elites and donors to run for president in 2012, two Republican sources told POLITICO.

The New Jersey governor has indicated he is listening to big-money backers and Republican influence-makers, and will let them know in roughly a week whether he has moved off his threat-of-suicide vow to stay on the sidelines of a presidential race that remains amorphous heading into the fall, the two sources said. …

But after months of going out of his way to end the speculation, Christie started indicating he would at least think about getting in during the past week, the sources said, a period in which he held an event with Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels — who has strongly indicated he’d like to see another entry to the field — and had a meeting with a group of major New York donors.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/64326.html

G.M. Hopkins.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:57 am 
***** General

Liked: 523
Politico's article actually makes it more doubtful, IMO. They outline the factors both for & against, and it appears to be too much against.

For one thing
Quote:
He has also repeatedly said that he isn’t running because he did not feel in his heart he was “ready,” a phrase that would be tough to push past in a campaign.

And it is clear from the story that this is about pressure being brought to bear by desperate fiscons - not about Christie having second thoughts.
Quote:
Some observers noted that the sudden Christie push is the latest in a flavor-of-the-month string of boomlets pushed by conservative elites — similar, in many ways, to the sudden spurt of supposed interest that Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan had in running. Like Christie, Ryan engaged donors and heard them out, but was never running and never planning to.

Christie can't afford to alienate his donors, but sounds like he is just practicing political diplomacy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:58 pm 
***** General

Liked: 211
Huck PAC did not endorse Christie. They did endorse McDonnell that same election year.

Christie has done some good things but his record will be exposed in Iowa. He is a true moderate. He will be the Perry factor all over again.

TEAM HUCK IOWA
http://www.facebook.com/TeamHuckIowa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:12 pm 
***** General

WSJ reporting Christie STILL a "no"

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... And_Policy

Post by Steadfast Liked by: IowaforHuckabee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:27 pm 
***** General

Liked: 31
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/c ... N54eGisgyL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:19 pm 
Major General

Liked: 54
I am not sure, but I would think that a Christie entrance would hurt Romney the most in the long run.