Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:31 pm 
Major General

Liked: 54
Well here comes the rush to get the calendar just like it was last time.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/florida-likely-hold-jan-31-primary-throwing-2012-143054190.html

January 2 is not that far off now and if Huckabee entered this month he would not be taking quite as great a risk with his time and income even if he ended up losing. Actually, I think he has much to gain by an entrance even if he should lose. But, of course, I think he would win.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:37 pm 
***** General

Liked: 37
Expect a Georgia primary on the very same day. Secretary of State Brian Kemp has been waiting to see if Florida would do this and speculation is he will put the primary on the same day.

Get out the popcorn folks. This is gonna get good! If Huck doesn't get in watch out for Cain and Newt. They are the darkhorses right now and both are climbing in the polls as more and more voters get fed up with the Perry and Mittens.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:16 pm 
***** General

Update Brian Kemp will announce the date of Georgia's Primary tomorrow

http://frontloading.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... -kemp.html

EDIT: Some speculation from Fronloading HQ blog. Whichever way you slice it tell me what you think of that early primary schedule and how it seems to favor a certain Governor.

http://frontloading.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... s-for.html

Take out New Hampshire and Nevada out and all the others are southern states (GA, FL, SC, and LA) or Iowa and we know what happened in Iowa last time.

I'm getting sucked in again...help me!!!

Post by BDBopper Liked by: IowaforHuckabee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:45 pm 
Major

Liked: 22
me 2 Bdbopper!

Come on Huck! We need you!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:03 pm 
Major General

Liked: 54
BDBopper wrote:
Whichever way you slice it tell me what you think of that early primary schedule and how it seems to favor a certain Governor.

Wow!, any one of the scenarios he presents improves the prospects for a true conservative candidate to go into Florida with a lot of momentum.

Come on Huckabee, do you need a formal invitation delivered by Michael himself?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:08 pm 
***** General

Liked: 653
If this all escapes party containment then the number one effect will be to make it VERY fertile ground for a public personality (like Huck) or a "new" candidate of the month (like Bachmann was and Perry was and Cain is) to surge and compete with very little infrastructure. Now actually winning when you have to compete in six or eight states in the first four weeks is another matter. Lots of money and ground game would seem to have even more importance in such a scenario.

HOWEVER both Bachmann in Iowa (who did it to T-Paw) and especially Cain in Florida (who did it to BOTH Romney and Perry) have shown how quickly a very good and thorough ground game can be swept away by glib sound bites and media buzz.

This is exactly why major parties DO NOT want such a high-wire act way of picking the nominee.

I understand that and frankly, while it does in theory make it easier for Huckabee to enter late and still win, I don't like what such a system is capable of producing - which is ANYTHING.

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Post by Southern Doc Liked by: BDBopper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:15 pm 
***** General

Southern Doc wrote:
If this all escapes party containment then the number one effect will be to make it VERY fertile ground for a public personality (like Huck) or a "new" candidate of the month (like Bachmann was and Perry was and Cain is) to surge and compete with very little infrastructure. Now actually winning when you have to compete in six or eight states in the first four weeks is another matter. Lots of money and ground game would seem to have even more importance in such a scenario.

HOWEVER both Bachmann in Iowa (who did it to T-Paw) and especially Cain in Florida (who did it to BOTH Romney and Perry) have shown how quickly a very good and thorough ground game can be swept away by glib sound bites and media buzz.

This is exactly why major parties DO NOT want such a high-wire act way of picking the nominee.

I understand that and frankly, while it does in theory make it easier for Huckabee to enter late and still win, I don't like what such a system is capable of producing - which is ANYTHING.

As usual you are very, very astute, Doc!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:35 pm 
Major General

Liked: 147
Here, here Doc!! I really don't like the primary system we have. It makes a whole lot of people essentially irrelevant. Frankly, having a big state like FL up in the early primaries gives even fewer people any say in who is nominated. There has got to be a better way of doing this! Frankly I don't even know why I should bother going to the caucus here in CO since states like FL and SC will have already chosen the nominee. How is that fair?? Pushing the whole process up earlier and earlier isn't good either. I'd love to see all of the primaries and caucuses held between March and May. Just a few states every week for the whole time. It could be divided by region so that candidates would have an easier time visiting all the states. Then every 4 years the groups of states could take turns going first.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:38 am 
***** General

Liked: 31
An old post of mine.................

This year, the GOP lost the presidential election in large part because it nominated the wrong man. Mind you, I'm not sure that any Republican candidate would have been successful in this environment but we need to make changes to the nomination process to ensure that the best candidate comes out on top in the end. Some changes I would recommend are:
1. Each state should hold a CLOSED primary...no more "open" primaries. Only registered voters of a party should have a say in determining it's nominee.
1a. No more caucuses - the caucus process is difficult to participate in and lends itself to fraudulent activity (bussing in illegal voters, voter intimidation, backroom dealings, ballot stuffing, etc.)
2. Despite the media's (and some party members) desire to prematurely announce a winner - the nomination process should take sufficient time to allow the electorate to research and formulate an educated opinion of each candidate. To that end I would suggest altering the "winner-take-all" approach to a system that doesn't completely discount other candidates who have strong showings early on in the process. My suggestion: Winner (total votes) gets 33.3% of delegates automatically; the remaining 66.6% of delegates are split among all candidates in direct proportion to vote count.
2a. In keeping with my desire to not be premature in choosing our nominee, I believe that the primaries should be scheduled in order from smallest to largest so that a handful of states (especially blue ones e.g. NY, CA, NJ) can't determine the outcome before the voices of millions in other states are heard.
Possible scenario: ( 5 groups of 10 states)
Group A - N. Dakota, S. Dakota, Alaska, Montana, Vermont, Delaware, Wyoming, N. Hampshire, Maine, R. Island - these states can hold their closed primaries, one per week for ten weeks (with a rotating schedule) - January thru Mid.March
Group B - Idaho, Hawaii, Nevada, Nebraska, N. Mexico, Utah, W. Virginia, Arkansas, Mississippi, Kansas - these states can hold their closed primaries, two per week for five weeks (with a rotating schedule) - Mid March thru late April
Group C - Iowa, Oregon, Oklahoma, Connecticut, Kentucky, S. Carolina, Alabama, Colorado, Louisiana, Maryland - these states can hold their closed primaries, five per week for two weeks (with a rotating schedule) - Late April thru early May
Group D - Arizona, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Washington, Tennessee, Indiana, Missouri, Massachusetts, Virginia, N. Jersey - all ten on one day. Mid May
Group E - Georgia, N. Carolina, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Florida, New York, Texas, California - Super Tues (last Tues in May)
Twenty weeks (5 months) - leaves 5 months to campaign for the general election

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:13 pm 
***** General

Color me mistaken. GA Sec of State Brian Kemp has chosen to comply with the rules and has set the GA Primary on March 6th.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:54 pm 
Major General

Liked: 147
steves wrote:
An old post of mine.................

This year, the GOP lost the presidential election in large part because it nominated the wrong man. Mind you, I'm not sure that any Republican candidate would have been successful in this environment but we need to make changes to the nomination process to ensure that the best candidate comes out on top in the end. Some changes I would recommend are:
1. Each state should hold a CLOSED primary...no more "open" primaries. Only registered voters of a party should have a say in determining it's nominee.
1a. No more caucuses - the caucus process is difficult to participate in and lends itself to fraudulent activity (bussing in illegal voters, voter intimidation, backroom dealings, ballot stuffing, etc.)
2. Despite the media's (and some party members) desire to prematurely announce a winner - the nomination process should take sufficient time to allow the electorate to research and formulate an educated opinion of each candidate. To that end I would suggest altering the "winner-take-all" approach to a system that doesn't completely discount other candidates who have strong showings early on in the process. My suggestion: Winner (total votes) gets 33.3% of delegates automatically; the remaining 66.6% of delegates are split among all candidates in direct proportion to vote count.
2a. In keeping with my desire to not be premature in choosing our nominee, I believe that the primaries should be scheduled in order from smallest to largest so that a handful of states (especially blue ones e.g. NY, CA, NJ) can't determine the outcome before the voices of millions in other states are heard.
Possible scenario: ( 5 groups of 10 states)
Group A - N. Dakota, S. Dakota, Alaska, Montana, Vermont, Delaware, Wyoming, N. Hampshire, Maine, R. Island - these states can hold their closed primaries, one per week for ten weeks (with a rotating schedule) - January thru Mid.March
Group B - Idaho, Hawaii, Nevada, Nebraska, N. Mexico, Utah, W. Virginia, Arkansas, Mississippi, Kansas - these states can hold their closed primaries, two per week for five weeks (with a rotating schedule) - Mid March thru late April
Group C - Iowa, Oregon, Oklahoma, Connecticut, Kentucky, S. Carolina, Alabama, Colorado, Louisiana, Maryland - these states can hold their closed primaries, five per week for two weeks (with a rotating schedule) - Late April thru early May
Group D - Arizona, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Washington, Tennessee, Indiana, Missouri, Massachusetts, Virginia, N. Jersey - all ten on one day. Mid May
Group E - Georgia, N. Carolina, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Florida, New York, Texas, California - Super Tues (last Tues in May)
Twenty weeks (5 months) - leaves 5 months to campaign for the general election

I love this plan!!! :) The only thing I would be concerned about is the flack over IA and NH losing their first in the nation status. They cling awfully hard to that privilege. I don't know how the party leadership would be able to get past that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:12 pm 
***** General

I really like that plan with one exception. Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina should go first. Then proceed with the rest of the plan as is.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:14 pm 
***** General

Liked: 211
Iowa will go first....no worries. But I don't know if you will like what we produce this time. :cry:

TEAM HUCK IOWA
http://www.facebook.com/TeamHuckIowa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:52 pm 
***** General

Liked: 225
Here's my crazy plan: Have permanent voting precincts set up (like ATMs in all libraries, post offices, courts). Then have a randomly generated schedule of district primaries. An entire state wouldn't vote at the same time, but blocks of districts across the nation would cast their vote 1 week, and then another list of districts would vote a week or 2 later.

I haven't really thought this out. 8)

Think something like this could work?

Oh, also, "premium voting". Pay a fee and you get an appointment time to come vote. No lines!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:53 am 
***** General

Florida has made it official by a 6-3 vote, the date has been set for January 31st. Which means the early states will move up to be first

That means we might be seeing more ads just like this in two months

OH MY GOODNESS ITS A FLOATING CROSS!!!!!! :runforhills