Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:47 pm 
Captain

Liked: 72
So what do we think....was Huckabee effective? Did we learn anything from the interview?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:10 pm 
***** General

Liked: 133
dadof5 wrote:
So what do we think....was Huckabee effective? Did we learn anything from the interview?

I'd love to hear some details. We don't have TV.....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:15 pm 
Major General

Liked: 147
I had a choice to watch Mitt Romney or Alabama football.
Missed the show but I hope Mike did a good job.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:20 pm 
***** General

Liked: 225
Wow. I missed it too. I was hoping to find some discussion on it when I got home. Guess I'll catch the repeat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:13 pm 
***** General

Liked: 523
I can't believe the AP beat HANN - we're slipping! :wink:
Quote:
Romney takes on social issues with Huckabee

By KASIE HUNT, Associated Press – 1 hour ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Onetime Republican rivals Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney aren't running against each other this time, but they sparred anew in an interview broadcast Saturday as Romney sought the support of the socially conservative former Arkansas governor and the voters that backed him in droves three years ago.

Huckabee welcomed Romney to his Fox News show for a cordial get-together that was dramatically different in tone than their sharp exchanges during the 2008 campaign. The format provided Romney with an outlet to reach out to socially conservative voters as he seeks to close the gap on front-runner Rick Perry in the polls, with Huckabee pressing him on issues dear to those voters, such as abortion and gay marriage.

"There's still concerns that some of the social conservatives have," Huckabee said. "Would you be a pro-life president and what would that mean for you? How would you give some assurance that that's not something they have to worry about if Mitt Romney is president?"

Romney said he would appoint conservative Supreme Court justices. And he defended his Massachusetts health care plan, saying he would have backed an amendment to the Massachusetts constitution to prevent the state from subsidizing abortion.

The interview reflected Huckabee's hopes to influence a presidential contest he opted out of in May. Republican hopefuls have lobbied for Huckabee's support after he decided not to run, and Huckabee made appearances with several of them in August in Iowa. But he's remained largely on the sidelines of the presidential race, even if his endorsement would carry weight with social conservatives, particularly in Iowa.

Huckabee beat Romney in the 2008 caucuses there, but it's not unfathomable that he would support the former Massachusetts governor this time around.

In the interview, he appeared to be laying the groundwork for such a decision, which would mark a sharp turnaround. When Huckabee announced his decision not to run in 2012, he pointedly snubbed Romney by naming five potential candidates with "strong positions" on abortion and gay marriage. Romney was not among them.

But neither was Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who wasn't running at the time. Huckabee and Perry also have a history of animosity. Perry endorsed former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani over Huckabee in 2008.

As for his relationship with Romney, Huckabee joked about their past run-ins.

"They were really were wondering, would we be able to sit in the same room and be civil to each other," Huckabee said. "I think we've proven that we can be civil."

Copyright © 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... edb711a827

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:26 pm 
***** General

The AP reporter's perception was that this is a setup for Huck to endorse Romney. Would someone who watched it tell us if they agree?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:18 am 
***** General

Liked: 653
The AP take on this would only be vaguely true IF this was the ONLY interview of a GOP contender that Huck has done.

Folks unfamiliar with the Huck show format might have thought the interview as especially soft or favorable. But it was of a piece with all the others he has done. Nothing more, nothing less.

Is he going to endorse all the others?

Generally this interview, while courteous, was pehaps, if anything, less supportive than the others. Mike did give Mitt the chance to give "his side" (and spin) on a number of hot points without really following up or contridicting him. But that is what he did with the others as well.

Bottom line is I think you couldn't read ANYTHING into this except that Huck is the most civil "former" candidate around.

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Post by Southern Doc Liked by: twitter2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:54 am 
***** General

Liked: 374
QuoVadisAnima wrote:
The AP reporter's perception was that this is a setup for Huck to endorse Romney. Would someone who watched it tell us if they agree?

I watched it in between watching UT football - to the dismay of fellow watchers - and it didn't occur to me that the tone or atmosphere of the interview in any way suggested a set up for an endorsement. Just another interview. Maybe Huck will endorse Romney eventually, but it's a magical ability this AP reporter must have to be able to detect it here.

Or bring more or more blazon man’s distress.
And I not help. Nor word now of success:
All is from wreck, here, there, to rescue one—
Work which to see scarce so much as begun
Makes welcome death, does dear forgetfulness.
Or what is else? There is your world within.
There rid the dragons, root out there the sin.
Your will is law in that small commonweal…
G.M. Hopkins.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:11 am 
***** General

Liked: 374
Now that I think more about it, gov. did say something that was slightly intriguing. He mentioned something about how if he were running for president then he wouldn't be able to do the Fox show. I don't know. I'll be interested to see what y'all think about that.

Or bring more or more blazon man’s distress.
And I not help. Nor word now of success:
All is from wreck, here, there, to rescue one—
Work which to see scarce so much as begun
Makes welcome death, does dear forgetfulness.
Or what is else? There is your world within.
There rid the dragons, root out there the sin.
Your will is law in that small commonweal…
G.M. Hopkins.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:17 am 
***** General

Liked: 440
What this interview did tonight was prove what we already know; that Mike Huckabee is a gentleman and a far better man/woman than probably most of us. How he could sit there and respectfully interview the man who arrogantly, along with his campaign team, treated him like he was nobody in comparison during the last campaign, along with everything else that went on, is more than I could have stomached.

He gave Mitt the same opportunities as the rest of the candidates, asking questions, and then allowing him to answer them the way he wished and explain without interruption or arguments.

Makes me wonder, if the tables were turned and Mike was running and Mitt was not, and Mitt was holding a huge fundraiser for the Republicans. Would he have invited Mike?

It went very well and hopefully mended some fences with the Mormon crowd for the future (maybe even the very near future :D ).

I caught the bit about he wouldn't be able to do the show if he was running, also.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:13 am 
***** General

Liked: 190
I had the interview on but it was my mom's 90th birthday party so I didn't really get to hear much of it. Will try to catch it again at 11 tonight. I also heard him say if he were running for president he wouldn't be able to do the show. I think the show was/is Huckabee's real reason for not running. (although I hate to think so). It doesn't really make sense that he would choose a shallow tv show over the country's desperate need for him so, maybe I'm wrong. I also caught that Romney said it would be a whole different race if Huckabee were running...and I thought it surely would be because Huck would be so far ahead of the others they would have all already dropped out....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:40 pm 
General

Liked: 41
In that statement from Romney that it would have been a far different race if Huckabee would run sort of sounded like Romney wanted Huckabee to get back in the race. Remember if Huckabee gets back in, it would hurt Perry by dividing the Evangelical vote which would help Mitt Romney. Of course, if God wanted Huckabee to get back in, it could hurt Romney too. :pray

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:08 pm 
Major

Liked: 34
Vote For Truth wrote:
In that statement from Romney that it would have been a far different race if Huckabee would run sort of sounded like Romney wanted Huckabee to get back in the race. Remember if Huckabee gets back in, it would hurt Perry by dividing the Evangelical vote which would help Mitt Romney. Of course, if God wanted Huckabee to get back in, it could hurt Romney too. :pray

So Mitt...how much you willing to contribute to a Huckabee campaign?

:floor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:26 pm 
***** General

Nah, Romney may well be thinking that, but Perry's done himself enough damage that I'm betting most of his supporters would be relieved to go to Huckabee given the opportunity.

Post by QuoVadisAnima has received Likes: 3 ConservTexan, IowaforHuckabee, janelles

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:38 pm 
***** General

Liked: 32
I just caught the interview. Gov. Huckabee proved to all of us, in my opinion, why we so badly wanted him to run ... he is intelligent, concise, cordial, professional, witty ... and the best candidate we never got.

He asked honest questions and then sat back, let Romney respond, thus allowing the viewing audience to make up their own minds.

If he did nothing else, Gov. Huckabee put to rest all the nonsense about biases and uncivility. And that was well worth the watch.

I miss my man ... I just cannot get into politics. To me, this primary ... and ultimately, the general election ... is simply a race to the bottom.

Post by voter has received Likes: 2 ConservTexan, Indiana4Huck

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:01 pm 
General

Liked: 71
voter wrote:

I miss my man ... I just cannot get into politics. To me, this primary ... and ultimately, the general election ... is simply a race to the bottom.

That generally sums it up for me too. I have some hope for Cain but I get the sneaky feeling the elites will figure out a way to pave the way for someone else if Cain gets too far out infront.

In the end we will probably have to vote for someone we dislike the least.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:07 pm 
***** General

Liked: 183
FiscalConservative wrote:
voter wrote:

That sums it up for me too. I have some hope for Cain but I get the sneaky feeling the elites will figure out a way to pave the way for someone else if Cain gets too far out infront.

In the end we will probably have to vote for someone we dislike the least.

2008 all over again...holding my nose while voting. Not exactly how I pictured 2012.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:45 pm 
***** General

Liked: 66
voter wrote:

Agreed.

Oh and we've missed YOU too voter!

--Attention Guests--
Join the Discussion!
Click the graphic to join!

:army

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:12 pm 
***** General

On the Pollyanna side of things, this is another check mark on the list of things that would help a Huckabee candidacy! :mrgreen:

Then again, the Huck haters are bound to find a way to use it against him. :tinfoil

What's the opposite of Pollyanna? Eeyore? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:29 am 
Captain

Liked: 57
One of Governor Huckabee's greatest strengths is being able to be gracious and respectful to others, even someone like Romney who couldn't care less about anyone but himself. However, I hope he will now hold Romney accountable point out the many lies Romney told in the interview and point out weakness in Romney, like he has done with many of the others. I know Governor Huckabee can do this with respect and truth. :pray