Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:01 pm 
***** General

Liked: 525
ConservTexan wrote:
Are we sure that Huckabee actually curses in this PSA?

From politico:

Quote:
Huckabee, Bloomberg curse for a cause

The Bush twins also participated, but don’t curse in this version of the PSA.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/click/101 ... cause.html

Of course he's not cursing. The "F" word here is famine. And I think the point is something that we may be glossing over. I dislike profanity and do not use or encourage it. But as obscene as profanity is, "F"amine, in this case, one that is killing millions of children, is even more obscene.

Almost all of us consider ourselves to be pro-life and defend the lives of unborn babies. There are a lot of recently born babies who are dying or facing imminent threat of death. People can argue all day and all night about whether the ad is in good taste or bad taste (I personally don't care in this case because the underlying message is more important to me than the way that the message was delivered). But I certainly hope that while people are discussing this, people take the time to give whatever they can to save a lot of recently born babies who may die a grisly death if they don't get an enormous amount of help. And while we're thinking about whether or not our Huck was being prudent or not, let's take a minute and pray for both his judgment and, much more importantly, for all those children who are facing a very painful death if they don't get help.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:14 pm 
***** General

With great respect to my friends here, who I truly do respect, let me ask a scenario question.

A group is putting together a public service message to bring attention to a tragedy that is killing millions and millions of children and which has not received much media attention in the greatest country in the world. To get their message out, they employ a shock tactic, calling "Famine" the "F" word in order to get people talking and possibly giving. Of all the movements in place currently for bringing attention and drawing assistance to help these dying people, this is the one that is most likely to get people's attention and to get people contributing. You are a well-known personality who is also a Christian. They ask for your help in participating in this most visible campaign, in which you aren't asked to curse but are shown saying the word "Famine" with the audio blocked out as if you were uttering a profanity.

You have a choice of two options once they've asked you. There are no other highly visible campaigns in place trying to help these millions of starving children.

Answer 1) "Yes, I'll do the commercial. You want me to say 'Famine' and make it look like I'm cursing. Okay. I don't entirely feel comfortable but I get it. So will most of the public. I'd like to help stop this tragedy. I'm onboard."

Answer 2) "No, I won't do the commercial, even though my presence in it might encourage even more people to give. I don't like the implication that I could be using profanity even though it's pretty clear that the F word here is 'Famine.' I can't do that. I'm a Christian"

Which answer do you think the Lord would be more comfortable with you giving if you were asked to do this commercial?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:36 pm 

Liked: 57
Of course Huckabee didn't curse its just like "Unnecessary Censorship" on Jimmy Kimmel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:38 am 
Captain

Liked: 26
If Governor Huckabee stood up and made an appeal for funds to get food to Somalia and other war-torn areas I would have, of course, donated gladly. I get many appeals from Gov. Huckabee, and rarely do I not respond, because I believe that my donation will be used for what I'm told it will be used for. I have never heard of the group that sponsored this ad, and I know nothing about them. All I could find was a place to donate, however, there was very little information as to how the dollars will be used or where, specifically, they will be going. Truthfully, if I had not been on "Huck's Army" I probably would never have seen this ad.

As a senior citizen, I'll admit I'm not as well-informed as many of you on this forum, but I found the ad ineffective and lacking substance. Having read many of your comments I will now do my own research and find a group that I feel comfortable sending a donation to.

I still believe Gov. Huckabee could have made a more effective appeal on his own. I replayed the ad, and I still don't care for it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:40 am 
***** General

Liked: 653
I have great respect for TVV and many here who see a "greater good" in all this.

I don't however agree and think it sophistry to argue that one must make some kind of Faustian choice between the import of saving children and saving one's conscience.

One can always do good while being good. And one can also bring about good WHILE not being good. That I think is true ("whether in pretense or in truth so long as the gospel is proclaimed I will rejoice," Paul says of those trying to hurt him through their false motives and methods). But the ideal that one can do good BY not being good seems to twist out of recognition the ultimate goal.

Let me give a little personal background.

My brother worked in Nigeria with his wife for more than twenty years as missionaries and teachers. During that time he, his wife, and I have seen many silver bullets come whizzing by fired by well meaning 'great white fathers" that were going to help the Africans. Some were very practical and fiscal. Some very quixotic and utopian. During that twenty years we also watched the moral decay in post-colonial Africa set in and militant Islam as well at ATR (African Traditional Religion) redouble their efforts to defend their positions of social control through violence and terror. This bubbled up into personal horror when 1,000 to 3,000 were killed in militant Islam fueled anti-Christian riots in my brother's home city of Jos in 2001 (and again in 08;10;11). Several died in his front yard as he shield refugees in his home (including both Moslems and Christians) with nothing more than his body in the door of his house. Eight members of his congregation were murdered.

This is all to say that I don't really think the problem for Africa is generally food, or transportation, or water, or medicine. The problem is evil. The droughts of the Sahel (which runs across the continent along the south edge of the Sahara from the Atlantic to the Indian Ocean) occur at roughly 60 to 100 year intervals. Twenty or so years of above average rain pulling people further and further out onto toward the desert as their population grows with the new grass. Followed by ten to twenty years of severe drought and a die off and flight that histoically cuts the population in half (1650; 1740-50; 1830; 1910-15; 1970-80). Our problem though really isn't the rain its the governments and societies that won't even allow aid to reach their own people. It's those same people not caring to give the food to anyone other than their own tribe; it's those tribes using the food as weapons to settle ancient fueds.

West Africa had an equally severe drought last year along the Sahel effecting 8 million and fewer than 1,000 died because the governments and people, were strong and wise enough to let the aid happen. The current crisis in Somolia, Ethiopia, Kenya has as its epicenter a region of extreme political, religious, and social dysfunction. So tens of thousands have died and will die unless others and willing to go in and impose order. This is not a matter of resources. Seventy one percent of the needed funding for food and health aid has already been pledged. It is a matter of that money "alone" doing no good. There is a fierce debate among those who love Africa and Africans about whether any of this does any good or only props up the wicked and connected.

Since "Blackhawk down" few in the U.S. have been willing to shoulder the task of imposing a framework of values that might allow fewer to die in the crossfire of these dysfuctional societies. We all know that at some level the problem must be "solved" by something more fundamental than a "blue beret" cop on the beat (though I am actually in favor of such actions and our participation- but I also know VERY few American agree).

Well "famine relief" has historically done nothing to alter the dynamics that produced the next famine. Again I support such efforts and will continue to, but it is the equivalent of the blood IV for the gunshot patient. The wound must be dealt with. And the shooter is still on the loose. And what if the gunshot is self-inflicted?

Meanwhile folks with little background, but access to cameras and media, sweep in "discover" both the suffering and their "solution" to it and drop it all on the kind hearted and ignorant American public. We make t-shirts to wear while drinking our "fair trade coffee" (most of the Fair trade coffee acreage put in to "solve" the Horn of Africa crisis last decade was yanked out by its new African independent owners to grow the highly addictive and culturally accepted halucinogenic "tea" known as chat- but that is another story) and sending in our thirty bucks 83% of which is used to fund "awareness" so that the real money can be secured from Western governments.

Can ya tell this is a nerve.

And while we are at it:

At least 4 million, and more likely 8 million, died in the bloodiest war since WWII in central Africa from 1998-2004 which 99+ out of 100 have never heard of (Second Congo War). Briefly: no good guys; eight nations; 25 armed groups; corrupt NGO's as well rapist (NOT a metaphore) UN workers passing out USAid relief in return for money, sex, drugs, and precious minerals. Charming.

Bottom line: The "Heart of Darkness" (if you know that quite misunderstood classic) remains the problem not just for Africa but all human beings. Its solution is the light of truth.

Light does not not need the applification power of glossy excrement to be effective.

The truth is sufficent.

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Post by Southern Doc has received Likes: 2 FirstCoastTerp, justgrace

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:51 am 
***** General

Hannamarar wrote:
If Governor Huckabee stood up and made an appeal for funds to get food to Somalia and other war-torn areas I would have, of course, donated gladly. I get many appeals from Gov. Huckabee, and rarely do I not respond, because I believe that my donation will be used for what I'm told it will be used for. I have never heard of the group that sponsored this ad, and I know nothing about them. All I could find was a place to donate, however, there was very little information as to how the dollars will be used or where, specifically, they will be going. Truthfully, if I had not been on "Huck's Army" I probably would never have seen this ad.

As a senior citizen, I'll admit I'm not as well-informed as many of you on this forum, but I found the ad ineffective and lacking substance. Having read many of your comments I will now do my own research and find a group that I feel comfortable sending a donation to.

I still believe Gov. Huckabee could have made a more effective appeal on his own. I replayed the ad, and I still don't care for it.

I applaud you for doing research in looking for which group to donate to. There are many organizations that are providing aide to the drought victims and lots of options. I encourage people to give to any organization they're comfortable with but, mainly, to give.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:32 am 
***** General

Southern Doc wrote:
I have great respect for TVV and many here who see a "greater good" in all this.

I don't however agree and think it sophistry to argue that one must make some kind of Faustian choice between the import of saving children and saving one's conscience.

One can always do good while being good. And one can also bring about good WHILE not being good. That I think is true ("whether in pretense or in truth so long as the gospel is proclaimed I will rejoice," Paul says of those trying to hurt him through their false motives and methods). But the ideal that one can do good BY not being good seems to twist out of recognition the ultimate goal.

My brother worked in Nigeria with his wife for more than twenty years as missionaries and teachers. During that time he, his wife, and I have seen many silver bullets come whizzing by fired by well meaning 'great white fathers" that were going to help the Africans. Some were very practical and fiscal. Some very quixotic and utopian. During that twenty years we also watched the moral decay in post-colonial Africa set in and militant Islam as well at ATR (African Traditional Religion) redouble their efforts to defend their positions of social control through violence and terror. This bubbled up into personal horror when 1,000 to 3,000 were killed in militant Islam fueled anti-Christian riots in my brother's home city of Jos in 2001 (and again in 08;10;11). Several died in his front yard as he shield refugees in his home (including both Moslems and Christians) with nothing more than his body in the door of his house. Eight members of his congregation were murdered.

This is all to say that I don't really think the problem for Africa is generally food, or transportation, or water, or medicine. The problem is evil. The droughts of the Sahel (which runs across the continent along the south edge of the Sahara from the Atlantic to the Indian Ocean) occur at roughly 60 to 100 year intervals. Twenty or so years of above average rain pulling people further and further out onto toward the desert as their population grows with the new grass. Followed by ten to twenty years of severe drought and a die off and flight that histoically cuts the population in half (1650; 1740-50; 1830; 1910-15; 1970-80). Our problem though really isn't the rain its the governments and societies that won't even allow aid to reach their own people. It's those same people not caring to give the food to anyone other than their own tribe; it's those tribes using the food as weapons to settle ancient fueds.

West Africa had an equally severe drought last year along the Sahel effecting 8 million and fewer than 1,000 died because the governments and people, were strong and wise enough to let the aid happen. The current crisis in Somolia, Ethiopia, Kenya has as its epicenter a region of extreme political, religious, and social dysfunction. So tens of thousands have died and will die unless others and willing to go in and impose order. This is not a matter of resources. Seventy one percent of the needed funding for food and health aid has already been pledged. It is a matter of that money "alone" doing no good. There is a fierce debate among those who love Africa and Africans about whether any of this does any good or only props up the wicked and connected.

Since "Blackhawk down" few in the U.S. have been willing to shoulder the task of imposing a framework of values that might allow fewer to die in the crossfire of these dysfuctional societies. We all know that at some level the problem must be "solved" by something more fundamental than a "blue beret" cop on the beat (though I am actually in favor of such actions and our participation- but I also know VERY few American agree).

Well "famine relief" has historically done nothing to alter the dynamics that produced the next famine. Again I support such efforts and will continue to, but it is the equivalent of the blood IV for the gunshot patient. The wound must be dealt with. And the shooter is still on the loose. And what if the gunshot is self-inflicted?

Meanwhile folks with little background, but access to cameras and media, sweep in "discover" both the suffering and their "solution" to it and drop it all on the kind hearted and ignorant American public. We make t-shirts to wear while drinking our "fair trade coffee" (most of the Fair trade coffee acreage put in to "solve" the Horn of Africa crisis last decade was yanked out by its new African independent owners to grow the highly addictive and culturally accepted halucinogenic "tea" known as chat- but that is another story) and sending in our thirty bucks 83% of which is used to fund "awareness" so that the real money can be secured from Western governments.

And while we are at it:

At least 4 million, and more likely 8 million, died in the bloodiest war since WWII in central Africa from 1998-2004 which 99+ out of 100 have never heard of (Second Congo War). Briefly: no good guys; eight nations; 25 armed groups; corrupt NGO's as well rapist (NOT a metaphore) UN workers passing out USAid relief in return for money, sex, drugs, and precious minerals. Charming.

Bottom line: The "Heart of Darkness" (if you know that quite misunderstood classic) remains the problem not just for Africa but all human beings. Its solution is the light of truth.

Light does not not need the applification power of glossy excrement to be effective.

The truth is sufficent.

Southern Doc wrote:

And while we are at it:

The truth is sufficent.

Thanks for sharing this, SD. I hope that your brother and his wife are okay. I really admire people who do missionary work, especially those who venture into dangerous places that are deeply in need.

I also agree with your point that the problems in the region are not just centered around a lack of resources. I don't probably have as much of a background on the governments in the region as you do but I do know that there is a lot of corruption in many places and that war is widespread. One of the things I find amazing about the present-day continent of Africa is that it is a continent full of new countries. I believer that there are 54 countries on the continent and of them, only three of them existed as sovereign states at the end of World War II. Most weren't independent until after the 1960's. Given that even our country suffered a catastrophic civil war within its first eighty years as a nation, it seems that the birth of dozens of new nations, in addition to issues of poverty and corruption, would provide an environment that is prone to extra political instability.

However, having said that, we are faced with a reality that there are millions of children whom had no role whatsoever in shaping their current situation who are at risk of dying because of an extraordinarily severe famine. Even though I know that my contribution will not resolve the foundational reasons for this suffering, I am content in knowing that some of my money will help save some lives for long enough to get through the current crisis. Because of this, I support all initiatives to highlight the current catastrophe so that people will be motivated to give and/or help in one way or another. This includes Huckabee's involvement in this commercial. I wouldn't have written the commercial this way but I hope that it has the effect of motivating people to help. I certainly do not believe he was using profanity.

And I hope that people will give or help in one way or another. There are a lot of options for providing aide to the people whose lives will likely end if they don't get immediate help. And, since we talked about the spiritual aspects of the suffering, I hope that everyone will not only give through some reliable organizational channle but also to pray for the affected people here as well as people who are starving and facing dehydration throughout the world.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:26 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
I hope that Gov. Huckabee has thoroughly researched this organization to see that it is reliable and actually does good. Is this related to the Red Cross? If so, it might make sense that he was connected, since Janet, his wife, also works for the Red Cross.

So many of these organizations that are sponsored by celebrities use most of the funds for overhead, for things like concerts, etc. Sometimes they come in and give material goods for a short while but fail to find out the true needs or give real spiritual comfort and hope. Well-meaning aid can even be counterproductive if it gets into the wrong hands. Where could we find out how much of this organization goes to hiring actors, paying for publicity, overhead costs, etc., and how much actually benefits those in need in Africa?

Also, is the money or food wasted, and how is it being kept out of the hands of lawless thugs, who are purposely promoting the starvation as a means of ethnic cleansing or tribal warfare? What kind of security is put in place for the distribution, so that theft and violence do not spread?

Southern Doc, I appreciated your inside stories of the courageous and wonderful efforts of missionaries in Africa, particularly your family and you. And I was saddened to hear of the slaughter of 8 million lives in the Second Congo revolution.

My husband's uncle and aunt were missionaries there during the first Congo rebellion/revolution. They helped run a small hospital and dispensary for the Congolese. The revolution was horrible, and only by the grace of God and, yes, the United Nations helicopters, which at the time rescued them from the jaws of death as their mission compound was surrounded by rebels, did they survive. The nature of the uprising then was tribal plus communist plus ostensibly freedom from Belgium rule (which country had already made great strides in democratizing the nation and turning it over to citizen rule). Our uncle and aunt returned to the United States reluctantly, but their hearts were forever touched and held by those Christians who willingly laid down their lives to protect them. They never forgot their "children" in Africa and often longed to go back to a land that would never be the same.

My doctor is from the Sudan and went home for a year to help his people. I prayed he would survive. I want to recommend Samaritan's Purse as one organization that is effectively helping poor and suffering people of many nations. They are committed for the long-term in Sudan, for example. Even though their hospital has been attacked four times, they have rebuilt and found a way to help thousands there. The problem that causes the starvation is political/spiritual more than anything. The natural resources are there for prosperity. But the spiritual resources are lacking for peace. Until the hearts of the people can know Jesus Christ and be changed from within, they can never do what needs to be done first: to forgive their enemies and love one another.

"The love of money is the root of all [kinds of] evil." Whether it is gold and diamonds in Africa, pirated ships off Somalia, or drugs and crime in America, the desire for what others have, and hatred for those who may want a share will lead to killing, starvation, famine, and poverty. (Lord, come quickly!)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:28 am 
***** General

Liked: 211
FiscalConservative wrote:
Whatever. I just want someone who knows how to create jobs.

Spoken like a true fiscal conservative :D

TEAM HUCK IOWA
http://www.facebook.com/TeamHuckIowa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:05 pm 
Captain

Liked: 26
Quote:
But the spiritual resources are lacking for peace. Until the hearts of the people can know Jesus Christ and be changed from within, they can never do what needs to be done first: to forgive their enemies and love one another.

Just Grace, Amen!! So very true!

P.S. Sorry I don't know how to embed the quote.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:11 am 
***** General

Liked: 374
Those at the beginning of the video were saying famine, but certainly the presumption is that Gov Huckabee is actually dropping the f-bomb at the end. "Famine" in the context of the sentence would not make any sense. They wanted the socially conservative baptist preacher to drop the f-bomb to get attention.

I don't know, I don't think it's a big deal, but it is tacky and vulgar.

Or bring more or more blazon man’s distress.
And I not help. Nor word now of success:
All is from wreck, here, there, to rescue one—
Work which to see scarce so much as begun
Makes welcome death, does dear forgetfulness.
Or what is else? There is your world within.
There rid the dragons, root out there the sin.
Your will is law in that small commonweal…
G.M. Hopkins.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:20 am 
***** General

Liked: 259
Bill O'Reilly played the video on his show and he now has a poll asking if the PSA for Famine was patriotic or pinheaded.

Please go vote:

http://billoreilly.com/

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:19 am 
Captain

Liked: 72
Patriotic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:54 am 
General

Liked: 71
Iowans Rock wrote:
Whatever. I just want someone who knows how to create jobs.

Spoken like a true fiscal conservative :D

Thank Yoooou.

On a serious note, I probably would not have dont it myself but I am not going to fault him for having done it. Thank goodness for once saved always saved. :eatingpopcorn

Post by FiscalConservative Liked by: Iowans Rock

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:14 am 
General

Liked: 71
How disappointing!! Huck has proven that he is just a politician no better than the rest! What upsets me most is that Huck lowered not only himself but the Name of Christ! Oh look....a Christian is willing to join the world to get his face out there!! No wonder the world does not take us seriously!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:27 am 
***** General

Liked: 31
How disappointing!! Huck has proven that he is just a politician no better than the rest! What upsets me most is that Huck lowered not only himself but the Name of Christ! Oh look....a Christian is willing to join the world to get his face out there!! No wonder the world does not take us seriously!!

Hey Tolbert.....how'd you hack into FiscalConservative's H.A. account???

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:38 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782

I was disappointed, too, with the ad. I could picture him doing a more serious appeal. But I think the "F" word he said was "Famine," both times. There was some shock value to try to get attention for the cause, but unfortunately that message was lost in the news.

I know Gov. Huckabee would not take even a drink of beer on the morning show at Fox, when offered a few weeks ago, because he is a former Baptist preacher (and it is against his Christian principles). His standards are much higher than most. But, he is not perfect, and there are about five times I wish I could erase comments he made in jest. I know Jesus associated with people who were not His followers to reach them for God. That part does not bother me. But, as my husband tells me often, we need to pray for Gov. Huckabee as he is out in the public all the time and tempted in many ways, much more strongly than we can imagine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:05 am 
***** General

Liked: 215
From twitter:

GovMikeHuckabee Gov. Mike Huckabee
For the record I did not use profanity in the @onecampaign fight famine commercial.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:09 am 
Major

Liked: 90
I'm sorry, but anyone supporting this video is not looking at the bigger picture. I posted this reply on the youtube video:

30,000 in 3 months? so around 330 per day? Well guess what. Worldwide human kind is MURDERING 125,000 people PER DAY. Abortions take more lives in 4 minutes than famine does in a day. These stats are according to the world health organization. Bono, Clooney, and Huck, why do we get behind stopping a true tragedy; According to WHO 58.5 million people died in 2004. That is including ALL deaths worldwide. 160K deaths per day....we murder almost as many people each day as die from all other causes combined!

So, I don't really care whether or not Huckabee cussed. That is his business. I am sure he has gotten flack from it. My bigger issue is why not spend the time working on the truly important things. Call me vulgar for not caring as much about starving kids. Let's stop famine, thats great....but we should be using our time to stop the murder of millions before trying to prevent the death of a few.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:11 am 
***** General

Liked: 215
Mike has done and does a lot on the abortion issue. There doesn't have to be a conflict between multiple causes.

Post by FirstCoastTerp has received Likes: 2 IowaforHuckabee, WhatsNotToLike?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next