Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:08 pm 
Offline
Major

Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:11 pm
Posts: 330
Likes: 0
Liked: 22
What do you think the chances of this would be?

I would love to see this if Huckabee does not run.

Cains fumbles, newt rises as the anti Romney and Newt has better ideas then Romney.

Christopher


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:19 pm 
Offline
***** General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:12 am
Posts: 3819
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Likes: 194
Liked: 215
definitely prefer Newt over Romney and Mike would be a good choice for him

_________________
Ken



Post by FirstCoastTerp Liked by: akprayingmom
Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:32 pm 
Offline
Lieutenant General
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:16 pm
Posts: 867
Location: Peru, Indiana
Likes: 16
Liked: 22
I see Newt selecting an Alan West or Marco Rubio instead. Would love to see it but Newt probably would need Alan West for his Military bona fides or Marco Rubio for the opportunity to destroy Obama in the Latino vote.

_________________
Dan Higgins
Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
FairTax Indiana on Facebook
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:07 pm 
Offline
Sergeant

Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:56 pm
Posts: 78
Likes: 16
Liked: 10
If Mike isn't running for President then I would hope for Newt picking Mike as his VP. I don't see Mike with Romney and I hope Romney doesn't win the nomination. I don't feel comfortable with Cain. He doesn't seem to be able to present any in depth answers. I think Mike would really compliment Newt with his personality to Newt's ideas. Also, Mike would be able to smartly discuss Newt's ideas with his great knowledge of the issues and his ability to communicate.



Post by Grandville has received Likes: 3 All-in-for-Mike, Indiana4Huck, QuoVadisAnima
Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:45 pm 
Offline
Major

Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 2:50 pm
Posts: 290
Location: Plainfield, IN
Likes: 4
Liked: 90
This has been my top ticket since the cain surge...i knew Huck couldnt really get back in with Cain doing so well (they have alot of similarities....and alot of differences), and there was no way I was voting for someone with 0 days political experience. Gingrich-Huckabee would be sick....clearly the top two orators in the entire GOP and maybe a couple of the smartest. Sounds like a plan.



Post by karrboy84 has received Likes: 3 Indiana4Huck, IowaforHuckabee, sherri79
Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:21 pm 
Offline
Captain

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:47 am
Posts: 236
Location: Greenback, TN
Likes: 37
Liked: 72
On experience and debating ability Newt can handle it. We do not need another on the job training president. Newt lacks one major thing....he needs the social conservatives.....the south.....and the Christian vote. Huckabee would be a brilliant VP because he could handle the media and be an incredible support for a president. If he gets the VP nod it would work out better than being president now. 8 years with newt.....8 more as president.....sweet 16 years with Huck being in the highest offices in the land. :P :P :P



Post by dadof5 has received Likes: 4 All-in-for-Mike, Indiana4Huck, IowaforHuckabee, WhatsNotToLike?
Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:22 pm 
Offline
***** General

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:12 pm
Posts: 4153
Likes: 307
Liked: 525
Here's a question for the group.

My guy is Huckabee. I suppose that my second choice of the folks in the field would still be Santorum. I have nothing against either Cain or Gingrich. I sort of like and respect them both.

However, if someone is put off by the possibility that Cain could have committed an impropriety in the form of sexual harrassment, how could the person be okay with former Speaker Gingrich, who is now married to a woman who he was involved with in an extramarital affair AND who was at the time of the affair a staffer in the House of Representatives at the same time that Newt was the Speaker of the House of Represantatives?. Legally speaking, apart from the severe moral inappropriateness of the situation, the working relationship between former Speaker Gingrich and fomer House Staffer Callista Bisek could raise questions about an inappropriate relationship between a leader and an indirect subordinate (which is against HR policy in many organizations - because it can be construed as a form of sexual harrassment - either from the subordinate or from another employee. It's messy and many companies want no part of this potential mess). I guess my question is, if one has a problem with the possibility that Cain has done something inappropriate how can one not have a problem with the fact that Gingrich definitely did something inappropriate?

_________________
The Values Voter
http://thevaluesvoter.spaces.live.com



Post by TheValuesVoter has received Likes: 3 dadof5, Huckabeliever, miracleshappen
Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:28 pm 
Offline
Captain

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:47 am
Posts: 236
Location: Greenback, TN
Likes: 37
Liked: 72
That is why Newt needs Huck.....it would give him credibility. Nothing would dampen the sour attitude toward Newt's personal life than having Huckabee as his VP. Huck has incredible integrity and even liberals respect him.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:38 pm 
Offline
***** General

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:12 pm
Posts: 4153
Likes: 307
Liked: 525
dadof5 wrote:
That is why Newt needs Huck.....it would give him credibility. Nothing would dampen the sour attitude toward Newt's personal life than having Huckabee as his VP. Huck has incredible integrity and even liberals respect him.


I'm really not sure that the personal credibility of the Vice President helps the President all that much - either in terms of public perception or in terms of actually keeping out of trouble.

Long before the nation knew about Monica Lewinsky, there had been rumors about Clinton's history of womanizing. The fact that Al Gore, to the best of anyone's knowledge, didn't fall into that category didn't help Clinton either have a better reputation or to help him stay out of trouble.

Former President Warren Harding was both a womanier and a guy with a weakness for corrupt cronies. His Vice President, Calvin Coolidge, was neither a womanizer or in the least bit corrupt. Harding still got in trouble, although mostly posthumously, and having a decent man as the number two did nothing to really help him stay out of trouble.

Likewise, FDR had a woman on the side and actually died in her presence. His last Vice President, Truman, probably never even came close to cheating on his wife.

I think it's extremely important that the Vice President be a morally solid guy or gal. But having someone who has a history of doing the right thing in the number two position is no substitute for having a person who has a history of doing the right thing in the number one position, in my opinion. I don't think that moral character transfers between the two members of a ticket, I don't think it changes the opinion that voters have toward the other member, and I don't think it keeps the other person from doing whatever they're inclined to do.

_________________
The Values Voter
http://thevaluesvoter.spaces.live.com



Post by TheValuesVoter Liked by: miracleshappen
Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:48 pm 
Offline
***** General
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:41 pm
Posts: 2474
Location: Western Virginia
Likes: 368
Liked: 133
Okay, I realize this is coming straight from Fantasy Island, but IMO, if any one of the current candidates had 2 brain cells to rub together, (s)he would immediately make the following announcement:

"If you choose me as the GOP nominee, I will do my utmost to convince Gov. Mike Huckabee to be my running mate."

He's been thoroughly and repeatedly vetted. He's nationally known, and liked! He adds to almost every ticket out there (think of how many of the current crop would love to have his "everyman" sense, his communication skills, his likability, his genius!). He'd mop the floor in a VP debate. What's Not To Like?

Only one downfall I can see....on the campaign trail, everyone would be saying, "Why aren't we electing this guy as POTUS?"

_________________
"Never, Never, NEVER GIVE UP" Winston Churchill



Post by WhatsNotToLike? has received Likes: 2 Huckabeliever, Indiana4Huck
Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:02 am 
Offline
***** General
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:47 pm
Posts: 4564
Location: Texas
Likes: 554
Liked: 523
TheValuesVoter wrote:
Here's a question for the group.

My guy is Huckabee. I suppose that my second choice of the folks in the field would still be Santorum. I have nothing against either Cain or Gingrich. I sort of like and respect them both.

However, if someone is put off by the possibility that Cain could have committed an impropriety in the form of sexual harrassment, how could the person be okay with former Speaker Gingrich, who is now married to a woman who he was involved with in an extramarital affair AND who was at the time of the affair a staffer in the House of Representatives at the same time that Newt was the Speaker of the House of Represantatives?. Legally speaking, apart from the severe moral inappropriateness of the situation, the working relationship between former Speaker Gingrich and fomer House Staffer Callista Bisek could raise questions about an inappropriate relationship between a leader and an indirect subordinate (which is against HR policy in many organizations - because it can be construed as a form of sexual harrassment - either from the subordinate or from another employee. It's messy and many companies want no part of this potential mess). I guess my question is, if one has a problem with the possibility that Cain has done something inappropriate how can one not have a problem with the fact that Gingrich definitely did something inappropriate?
If we were comparing Cain's situation to that of Gingrich a decade or so ago, you would have a point. We would only be able to compare experience & ability - neither could claim any morally superior ground. But that is not the case.

However, Gingrich has since gone thru the motions of repenting & confessing his sins, & attempting to get right with God. Only God knows the sincerity of his contrition. IF Cain is guilty, then he is still trying to cover up his sins with more sins, & he still needs to repent & beg God's forgiveness.

And really, using one's position as a superior to coerce a reluctant subordinate into an intimate relationship is certainly a graver sin than dallying with a willing co-worker.



Post by QuoVadisAnima has received Likes: 2 dadof5, Indiana4Huck
Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:43 am 
Offline
***** General

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:12 pm
Posts: 4153
Likes: 307
Liked: 525
QuoVadisAnima wrote:
If we were comparing Cain's situation to that of Gingrich a decade or so ago, you would have a point. We would only be able to compare experience & ability - neither could claim any morally superior ground. But that is not the case.

However, Gingrich has since gone thru the motions of repenting & confessing his sins, & attempting to get right with God. Only God knows the sincerity of his contrition. IF Cain is guilty, then he is still trying to cover up his sins with more sins, & he still needs to repent & beg God's forgiveness.

And really, using one's position as a superior to coerce a reluctant subordinate into an intimate relationship is certainly a graver sin than dallying with a willing co-worker.


It's not my place to judge anyone personally. I don't know what is in either of their hearts and it's not my business to decide who has repented and who hasn't.

Having said that, though, I have a hard time figuring out Gingrich's situation because he's married to the woman he cheated on his previous wife with. I'm not sure how that relates to repentence. Also, when I heard him say that he got into trouble because of his service to his country, to me that did not totally sound like something that I'd expect from someone who is taking responsibility for their actions. Again, I have nothing against Gingrich personally and respect him for his intellect. That's just how I see it.

Also, if Cain did do this - whatever "this" is - to an unwilling subordinate, that would indeed be very bad and can't be defended. However, I don't think it's accurate to describe the relationship between Gingrich and his wife as "co-workers." They weren't co-workers. He was the United States Speaker of the House of Representatives and she was a House staffer. There was an absolute hierarchy to their working relationship and he was the seniormost person in that institution and was third in line for the Presidency, an elected representative. She was a staffer, an employee. Furthermore, what followed was not a matter of inappropriate words or jokes but an inapprorpiate and adulterous relationship.

I'm not defending either the actions that Cain is accused of or the actions that Gingrich has admitted to. I'm saying that both the actions that Cain is accused of comitting as well as those that we know Gingrich committed are very bad in different ways. And, if the Cain allegations turn out to be true, I think that a person can either choose to overlook both his behavior and Gingrich's or choose to reject both of their behaviors. But I don't think I completely understand the idea of being okay with one of these guys but not the other. If Cain actually did do something, their actions would be different, but, in my mind, not different enough.

_________________
The Values Voter
http://thevaluesvoter.spaces.live.com



Post by TheValuesVoter Liked by: FirstCoastTerp
Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:56 am 
Offline
***** General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:58 am
Posts: 3019
Likes: 0
Liked: 190
I dont have a problem with the allegations so much as the way Cain has handled, or rather mishandled, the situation. I never planned to vote for him anyway because, though I like him, I had a real problem with him having never held any political office. I know some said that could be a plus, but not to me. I prefer a governor but Newt Gingrich has been around for so long, worked for Reagan and he certainly knows what he is doing. He is not someone Im excited about (like with Gov. Huckabee) but I could vote for him. I think he has the best shot at beating Obama.....



Post by nrobyar Liked by: Indiana4Huck
Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:58 am 
Offline
***** General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:58 am
Posts: 3019
Likes: 0
Liked: 190
The only chance we have of having Governor Huckabee chosen as vp is for Newt to do it....They are good friends, Huck could certainly excite the base, shore up the social conservatives and add some personality to the ticket....It could happen with Newt...I don't see it with anyone else.



Post by nrobyar Liked by: Indiana4Huck
Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:10 am 
Offline
***** General

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:21 am
Posts: 2747
Location: Arkansas
Likes: 200
Liked: 653
nrobyar wrote:
The only chance we have of having Governor Huckabee chosen as vp is for Newt to do it....They are good friends, Huck could certainly excite the base, shore up the social conservatives and add some personality to the ticket....It could happen with Newt...I don't see it with anyone else.


Rationally you are right. Historically though the VP choice has been the ultimate example of how "politics makes strange bedfellows."

The "advantages" of Huck on a number of tickets could be great. But the calculus of "advantage" and "disadvantage" will depend on the thinking (or lack thereof) of the Presidential nominee.

_________________
"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:38 am 
Offline
Captain

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:47 am
Posts: 236
Location: Greenback, TN
Likes: 37
Liked: 72
You guys make some great points. My question is..... if through the primary process a candidate does not have enough delegates to assure the nomination....what happens at the convention? Do we have any history on this actually happening?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:25 pm 
Offline
***** General
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:47 pm
Posts: 4564
Location: Texas
Likes: 554
Liked: 523
TheValuesVoter wrote:
QuoVadisAnima wrote:
If we were comparing Cain's situation to that of Gingrich a decade or so ago, you would have a point. We would only be able to compare experience & ability - neither could claim any morally superior ground. But that is not the case.

However, Gingrich has since gone thru the motions of repenting & confessing his sins, & attempting to get right with God. Only God knows the sincerity of his contrition. IF Cain is guilty, then he is still trying to cover up his sins with more sins, & he still needs to repent & beg God's forgiveness.

And really, using one's position as a superior to coerce a reluctant subordinate into an intimate relationship is certainly a graver sin than dallying with a willing co-worker.


It's not my place to judge anyone personally. I don't know what is in either of their hearts and it's not my business to decide who has repented and who hasn't.

Having said that, though, I have a hard time figuring out Gingrich's situation because he's married to the woman he cheated on his previous wife with. I'm not sure how that relates to repentence. Also, when I heard him say that he got into trouble because of his service to his country, to me that did not totally sound like something that I'd expect from someone who is taking responsibility for their actions. Again, I have nothing against Gingrich personally and respect him for his intellect. That's just how I see it.

Also, if Cain did do this - whatever "this" is - to an unwilling subordinate, that would indeed be very bad and can't be defended. However, I don't think it's accurate to describe the relationship between Gingrich and his wife as "co-workers." They weren't co-workers. He was the United States Speaker of the House of Representatives and she was a House staffer. There was an absolute hierarchy to their working relationship and he was the seniormost person in that institution and was third in line for the Presidency, an elected representative. She was a staffer, an employee. Furthermore, what followed was not a matter of inappropriate words or jokes but an inapprorpiate and adulterous relationship.

I'm not defending either the actions that Cain is accused of or the actions that Gingrich has admitted to. I'm saying that both the actions that Cain is accused of comitting as well as those that we know Gingrich committed are very bad in different ways. And, if the Cain allegations turn out to be true, I think that a person can either choose to overlook both his behavior and Gingrich's or choose to reject both of their behaviors. But I don't think I completely understand the idea of being okay with one of these guys but not the other. If Cain actually did do something, their actions would be different, but, in my mind, not different enough.
Sexual harrassment that ends with someone filing a complaint generally stops at inappropriate words and actions, but that is not necessarily the case without that step so we cannot give credit to Cain for not going further just because he wasn't given the opportunity to push things further.

I won't deny having my doubts about Gingrich's new-found religion; I just don't feel we have enough to convict him of insincerity at this point. And I did mis-speak (or mis-type, I guess) when I said "co-worker", but the essential point is unchanged -- a person does not marry the superior who is sexually harrassing them.

Gingrich marrying Calista could be considered part of making things right depending on the rest of his situation - something only his confessor and/or spiritual director would know.

I also think you might be assuming more good will towards Gingrich than many who are considering voting for him actually possess - clearly he is few people's first, or even second, choice. This is a mud fence comparison - a situation where most people are looking at Gingrich in comparison to Romney, Perry, and Cain and viewing him as preferable to those others. So, for most of us, it's a case of Gingrich being acceptable only relative to those guys.



Post by QuoVadisAnima Liked by: Indiana4Huck
Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:26 pm 
Offline
***** General
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:52 pm
Posts: 4803
Location: Texas
Likes: 90
Liked: 259
I had a hard time voting for McCain knowing that he cheated on his wife with Cindy who he then married.

I am having a harder time wrapping my mind around voting for Gingrich who cheated on wife number 1 with a woman who became wife number 2 who he cheated on with a woman who is now wife number 3.

Character matters to me.

_________________
ConservTexan

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/



Post by ConservTexan has received Likes: 4 All-in-for-Mike, Huckabeliever, Southern Doc, TheValuesVoter
Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:50 pm 
Offline
***** General
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:47 pm
Posts: 4564
Location: Texas
Likes: 554
Liked: 523
Please believe me when I say that it matters to me, too. But really, when we look at our options, would you suggest that the characters of Romney, Perry or Cain are superior?

Even Cain with his pro-life $ and without the current allegations he's fighting did not impress me on that level. He reminds me of too many people I have known who were overly impressed with themselves. Those are the people who make the worst mistakes. And I have noticed that Mrs. Marple's theory of relative-ity generally holds true! (ie. when a person reminds you of someone else you know, they are typically alike in character as well)

So where else do we go if we want to stop Obama? Is there a better option that I've missed?



Post by QuoVadisAnima Liked by: Indiana4Huck
Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:42 pm 
Offline
***** General
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:46 pm
Posts: 1563
Location: Texas
Likes: 178
Liked: 374
Speaking of Ms Marple, I'd vote for her ahead of any of these candidates. Of course, citizenship issues might be problematic...

_________________
THE TIMES are nightfall, look, their light grows less;
The times are winter, watch, a world undone:
They waste, they wither worse; they as they run
Or bring more or more blazon man’s distress.
And I not help. Nor word now of success:
All is from wreck, here, there, to rescue one—
Work which to see scarce so much as begun
Makes welcome death, does dear forgetfulness.
Or what is else? There is your world within.
There rid the dragons, root out there the sin.
Your will is law in that small commonweal…
G.M. Hopkins.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
POWERED_BY