Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:04 am 
***** General

Liked: 247
Ok...I'm not trying to get everyone's hopes up again, but...... Marvin Olasky of World Magazine has jumped on the "Draft Huckabee" train and even contacted Mike about it. He seems to indicate that there's still a crack in the door for Mike to walk through, and Mike didn't say 'no'.:

Quote:
After the ‘gasoline shower’
Written by Marvin Olasky November 11, 2011, 10:09 AM

Draft Huckabee?
Yesterday, contemplating Rick Perry’s misery after his debate performance Wednesday night, I emailed Mike Huckabee and said he should consider jumping into the GOP presidential race. His response: “It might be too late. It is amazing how things have turned out. I didn’t think Perry would do that well, but I never imagined he would take a gasoline shower and light a match to himself this soon.”

It might be too late, but it might not be. The old, “retail” politics of handshaking seems unessential in the new world of frequent debates. Huckabee already has name recognition. His populism would bring strident opposition from the Club for Growth but support from Sam’s Club. Organization for the Iowa caucus could be difficult, but Huckabee already has a reservoir of goodwill in that state.

The Republican race so far has been amazing, as Huckabee noted, but maybe it’s time for Al Jolson’s line in the first movie with sound, The Jazz Singer: “Wait a minute, wait a minute, you ain’t heard nothin’ yet.”

http://online.worldmag.com/2011/11/11/a ... ne-shower/

I'm not done praying yet.... :pray :pray :pray

Post by ColoradoMom4Huckabee Liked by: akprayingmom
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:43 am 
***** General

Liked: 247
I'm wondering if Marvin Olasky asked Mike for permission to reveal what he said in his email. It was also shared on World Magazine's FB page. Do you think WM would have put this info out there without Mike's permission?
Hmmmm......

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:21 am 
***** General

Liked: 374
What's interesting is that Olasky somehow thinks Perry would have been an acceptable alternative (he should know better, he was a Texan for a period there) to Huckabee, whereas Huckabee comes out and says, "I didn't think Perry would do that well."

Or bring more or more blazon man’s distress.
And I not help. Nor word now of success:
All is from wreck, here, there, to rescue one—
Work which to see scarce so much as begun
Makes welcome death, does dear forgetfulness.
Or what is else? There is your world within.
There rid the dragons, root out there the sin.
Your will is law in that small commonweal…
G.M. Hopkins.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:22 am 
***** General

Liked: 525
It's not too late!!!

Post by TheValuesVoter Liked by: akprayingmom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:16 am 
Major

Liked: 90
Why does he reference Iowa if the Iowa deadline has passed? Am I missing something? At this point I thought we were past the possibility of running in an of the early states, and its not like Mike could just decide o run for states AFTER Florida or something crazy. Unless I am missing something (a write in option??) or unless this writer is getting the talking started in case of a brokered convention, im not sure what we are hoping for here.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:35 am 
***** General

Liked: 183
karrboy84 wrote:
Why does he reference Iowa if the Iowa deadline has passed? Am I missing something? At this point I thought we were past the possibility of running in an of the early states, and its not like Mike could just decide o run for states AFTER Florida or something crazy. Unless I am missing something (a write in option??) or unless this writer is getting the talking started in case of a brokered convention, im not sure what we are hoping for here.

Iowa has no deadline. NH, SC and FL deadlines for getting on the ballot have passed (and perhaps others as well). Yes - write in votes are possible.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:40 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
Steadfast wrote:
karrboy84 wrote:

Iowa has no deadline. NH, SC and FL deadlines for getting on the ballot have passed (and perhaps others as well). Yes - write in votes are possible.

While traveling home on Friday afternoon, we happened to have on NPR radio and heard someone (?) saying that it would be possible for Huckabee to be elected as a write-in candidate. They were discussing how the Republican Party and candidates are in such disarray that this might be possible (though highly unlikely).

Supposedly this has happened in history, that the candidate was thus selected with write-ins in some states. Any history buffs familiar with this?

I suppose if he could overwhelmingly win in Iowa, that could give him tremendous momentum. But what it would do in the next states? I do not want to guess.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:16 pm 
Major

Liked: 90
Thanks to good ol wikipedia, there is alot of info about write-ins: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write-in_candidate

Apparently numerous states have been won over the last 100 years with write ins....but, the last time someone won a state with write-ins was the 60s....so, there is a precedent, but not in the last 50 years.

However if Iowa has no deadline then Huck could jump in and easily win Iowa and then even pose himself as "The Right, Write-in candidate" or something catchy like that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:43 pm 
***** General

Liked: 215
After Mike's message to his "Draft Huckabee" supporters in which he attempted to shoot down the hidden messages we thought we were picking up from various statements he'd made and actions he'd taken (i.e. the Obamagirl segment), I've been trying hard not to read into any of his comments or actions.

That being said, I don't know why he'd appear to leave the door open by using the word "might" here. It definitely doesn't sound like he's interested in quelling draft Huckabee efforts, even this late in the game. Then again, arguably Perry was floundering just as badly before the deadlines passed as he is now. I'm not sure his gaffe the other night can be considered significant enough to get Mike to start rethinking his decision not to run.

On the other hand, if Mike's decision not to run is really a decision to forgo the primary process as much as possible as a way of protesting the way the process is conducted, only to get in at an extremely late date as a way of setting a new precedent for the way presidential campaigns can be run successfully going forward, maybe there really remains a reason to hope?

For me personally at least, without a registration deadline in Iowa and without a candidate to support in the meantime, hope that Huck might still change his mind is going to have to be enough to keep me optimistic about where this is all going to end up. The debates have been fun and interesting to watch until somewhere along the way I'm forced to remember one of these individuals is going to have to represent the Republican party in a contest against President Obama in 2012. Without a reason to believe that our nominee might not be up there on that stage, the debates just become depressing.

ATTENTION GUESTS: Thanks for checking out our Discussion Forum. Before you go, please take a minute to click on the image below and get registered to join the discussion. You'll enjoy all the perks, such as being able to track which posts you've read already. It will also allow us to contact you with important news and information. Plus, we'd just love to hear what you have to say!

MEMBERS: Want to put the "Get Registered" image in your signature? Learn how here.

______________________Image______________________

Post by cschande has received Likes: 3 akprayingmom, navyqueen, Steadfast

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:42 pm 
***** General

Liked: 190
All we need to know is...what can we do to help make this happen...I do have to say though, the longer he waits, the more likely folks are going to become loyal to someone else. For us, of course that would not happen, but others weren't so dedicated to Governor Huckabee. I myself am (finally) lining up behind Newt. Of course, he is FAR inferior as presidential material in every way to Governor Huckabee IMO, but still it's to the point where folks are feeling they have to get behind somebody. Im looking for an alternative to Romney because Governor Huckabee, quite frankly, did too good a job last time convincing me that Romney is "not the real thing."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:16 pm 
***** General

Liked: 653
Well...

Speaking of gasoline.

This "might be too late," perhaps totally private, outpouring by Mike will leap into flame the small smoldering ember among the bitter ashes the Huck supporters have been eating since May. Frankly I hope folks don't read much into it.

It is still true, as I have posted elsewhere, that we may very well be in a "new era" of campaigning that will permit a "VERY" late entry. You could have someone only declare after the first round states (deadlines past except open Iowa) but before Super Tuesday deadlines (end of Nov through Dec). Proportional alocation of delegates before April 1 will blunt the momentum this cycle. There will be more than enough delegates still in play to either still win or force a brokered convention mathematically. It would certainly be something to watch. You could even get a strange "suspended judgement" between a strong Iowa showing by Huck and the next time he would appear on an actual ballot in late Feb or March. You can't be thought of as having "lost momentum after Iowa win" when you haven't actually been an option. Any grassroots "write-ins" you'd get in places like SC or FL would all be bonus evidence that you are actually "viable" especially if you don't actually try to organize the effort.

Still...

Ya got to actually want to run.

Still have not seen ANY evidence of that including this off-hand comment to Olasky.

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:56 pm 
***** General

nrobyar wrote:
All we need to know is...what can we do to help make this happen...I do have to say though, the longer he waits, the more likely folks are going to become loyal to someone else. For us, of course that would not happen, but others weren't so dedicated to Governor Huckabee. I myself am (finally) lining up behind Newt. Of course, he is FAR inferior as presidential material in every way to Governor Huckabee IMO, but still it's to the point where folks are feeling they have to get behind somebody. Im looking for an alternative to Romney because Governor Huckabee, quite frankly, did too good a job last time convincing me that Romney is "not the real thing."

Actually, Romney was the one who convinced me last time that Romney is not the real thing. He did an excellent job at it, by the way.

I agree - what do we need to do??

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:01 pm 
***** General

Southern Doc wrote:
Well...

Speaking of gasoline.

This "might be too late," perhaps totally private, outpouring by Mike will leap into flame the small smoldering ember among the bitter ashes the Huck supporters have been eating since May. Frankly I hope folks don't read much into it.

It is still true, as I have posted elsewhere, that we may very well be in a "new era" of campaigning that will permit a "VERY" late entry. You could have someone only declare after the first round states (deadlines past except open Iowa) but before Super Tuesday deadlines (end of Nov through Dec). Proportional alocation of delegates before April 1 will blunt the momentum this cycle. There will be more than enough delegates still in play to either still win or force a brokered convention mathematically. It would certainly be something to watch. You could even get a strange "suspended judgement" between a strong Iowa showing by Huck and the next time he would appear on an actual ballot in late Feb or March. You can't be thought of as having "lost momentum after Iowa win" when you haven't actually been an option. Any grassroots "write-ins" you'd get in places like SC or FL would all be bonus evidence that you are actually "viable" especially if you don't actually try to organize the effort.

Still...

Still have not seen ANY evidence of that including this off-hand comment to Olasky.

I think this is very clearly a different kind of election. Almost every member of the current GOP field has had their turn at the top alongside Romney. Very clear sign that the conservative voter simply does not like what's on the menu and they're trying to decide which meal option is the least undesirable - the stale bread, the tasteless caserole, the water soup or the meatloaf that probably didn't come from a cow. If someone offers these folks a tasty plate of Arkansas Barbeque, they'll probably order it, even if they have to cancel their existing order in order to get it.

Post by TheValuesVoter has received Likes: 4 akprayingmom, ColoradoMom4Huckabee, IowaforHuckabee, justgrace

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:06 pm 
***** General

Liked: 190
I shot a couple of emails off the the state gop's and Senator DeMint about getting Governor Huckabee into the race and grassroots organizing a write in effort for SC. I live here and would certainly do everthing possible to help. I have spent the last 3 yrs. talking up a Huckabee presidency and many people have been converted. Wouldn't take a lot, IMO, to get write-ins for him. He IS very well-known already...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
Southern Doc wrote:
Well...

Speaking of gasoline.

Still...

I may be wrong, but it seems that Huckabee himself might be wondering if he could be needed under the circumstance, with no favorite Republican emerging. Would he answer such a call if America needs him? I think it is possible, while still unlikely.

Post by justgrace Liked by: akprayingmom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:54 pm 
***** General

Liked: 523
Huck's "It might be too late" sounds like a man who is cautiously waiting on the Lord rather than assuming his current path is set in stone.

I interpret it as "It looks too late by our human reckoning, but I believe in the God of miracles, and I am open to His will if He chooses to grant us a miracle."

Post by QuoVadisAnima has received Likes: 8 ColoradoMom4Huckabee, IowaforHuckabee, justgrace, navyqueen, Steadfast, Texan4Huckabee, TheValuesVoter, WhatsNotToLike?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:12 pm 
***** General

Liked: 133
Some of us tweeted Marvin Olasky during the draft effort, asking him to contact Gov. Huckabee and urge him to run. Seems like he got the "draft Huckabee" message, but acted on it a little later than we'd have wished.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:37 pm 
Private

Liked: 11
I think we are seeing what we want to see. Yeah sure, it would be the best thing for America, this generation and the next ones, if Huck ran, but, though I hate to say it, I think it's time to move on.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:00 pm 
***** General

Liked: 215
jrebe wrote:
I think we are seeing what we want to see. Yeah sure, it would be the best thing for America, this generation and the next ones, if Huck ran, but, though I hate to say it, I think it's time to move on.

The problem is, to what? At this point the only available alternatives don't appear to be much better than continuing to hold out hope for a miracle.

ATTENTION GUESTS: Thanks for checking out our Discussion Forum. Before you go, please take a minute to click on the image below and get registered to join the discussion. You'll enjoy all the perks, such as being able to track which posts you've read already. It will also allow us to contact you with important news and information. Plus, we'd just love to hear what you have to say!

MEMBERS: Want to put the "Get Registered" image in your signature? Learn how here.

______________________Image______________________

Post by cschande has received Likes: 3 All-in-for-Mike, justgrace, TheValuesVoter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:31 pm 
Brigadier Geneal

Liked: 84
cschande wrote:
jrebe wrote:

The problem is, to what? At this point the only available alternatives don't appear to be much better than continuing to hold out hope for a miracle.

If I may please offer a suggestion--why not join Huckabee in his efforts to accomplish what he has already informed supporters he wants to do--elect 60 Senators in the 2012 election.