Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 968 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
 Post subject: Re: User Watch List
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:06 am 
***** General

Liked: 653
affirmative

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:48 pm 
***** General

Liked: 215
This post bothered me. It may just be that I'm being a bit oversensitive right now or that I'm just a bit protective of SD (not that he needs it), but I knew he wouldn't bring it up here (he's graciously withdrawn the comment in question) so I thought I would:

IowaforHuckabee wrote:
Southern Doc wrote:
But he will not be President.

We will have to start calling you Southern Doc Pelosi. You both hate Newt and you both have declared he won't be President. This is your "prediction" and we shall see. I always have to laugh when people make "predictions" but present them as facts. Only God knows what will happen for sure.

If others here feel that comment warrants a warning PM, could someone say something to Iowa? I'd do it but I think it might just be seen as a pro-Santorum mod criticizing a pro-Newt poster.

ATTENTION GUESTS: Thanks for checking out our Discussion Forum. Before you go, please take a minute to click on the image below and get registered to join the discussion. You'll enjoy all the perks, such as being able to track which posts you've read already. It will also allow us to contact you with important news and information. Plus, we'd just love to hear what you have to say!

MEMBERS: Want to put the "Get Registered" image in your signature? Learn how here.

______________________Image______________________

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:05 pm 
***** General

Chris, thanks for the support but I think Iowa4 was totally right about her point. Now her tone was less than charitable given what she was directly calling me out on but I'm glad to get true correction from any quarter (OK maybe not in a "give no quarter" fashion :wink: but this wasn't that). I'm fine with letting it go.

My main concern with Newt is his ego and I appreciate folks who try to keep mine in check.

On another note though, we should really expect the worst come next Tuesday/Weds. Unless the current trends change, Newt will likely lose and at that point given what has been said already there is more than likely going to be prompt recriminations that will be directed at the Santorum supporters on the forum. IMHumbledO.

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:14 pm 
***** General

Southern Doc wrote:
Chris, thanks for the support but I think Iowa4 was totally right about her point. Now her tone was less than charitable given what she was directly calling me out on but I'm glad to get true correction from any quarter (OK maybe not in a "give no quarter" fashion :wink: but this wasn't that). I'm fine with letting it go.

My main concern with Newt is his ego and I appreciate folks who try to keep mine in check.

On another note though, we should really expect the worst come next Tuesday/Weds. Unless the current trends change, Newt will likely lose and at that point given what has been said already there is more than likely going to be prompt recriminations that will be directed at the Santorum supporters on the forum. IMHumbledO.

Batten down the hatches!!!

ATTENTION GUESTS: Thanks for checking out our Discussion Forum. Before you go, please take a minute to click on the image below and get registered to join the discussion. You'll enjoy all the perks, such as being able to track which posts you've read already. It will also allow us to contact you with important news and information. Plus, we'd just love to hear what you have to say!

MEMBERS: Want to put the "Get Registered" image in your signature? Learn how here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:17 pm 
***** General

I agree that is a likely scenario.

Regarding IFH, I have noticed for a few months that her posts are a bit snarky at times, though not quite over the line and certainly not as unrelentingly persistent as goalieman. I agree with letting it slide but she does rub me the wrong way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:25 pm 
***** General

FirstCoastTerp wrote:
I agree that is a likely scenario.

Regarding IFH, I have noticed for a few months that her posts are a bit snarky at times, though not quite over the line and certainly not as unrelentingly persistent as goalieman. I agree with letting it slide but she does rub me the wrong way.

I'm pretty much in agreement with this post. Part of the reason I brought up the "Southern Doc Pelosi" comment was just to make sure we take note of it in case something more serious comes up later with IFH and we have to think about whether or not to address her in some way. I mean, SD as Pelosi? Really? It kind of made me chuckle until I realized she probably meant it. Oh well. I'm glad SD took it well and hopefully her posts won't become an issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:40 pm 
***** General

So I'm thinking that the three of us (SD, Chris, and myself) are the only mods actively moderating currently and that it would be good to have a Gingrich supporter as a mod to help ensure there is some balance. What do you think of asking JustGrace to be a moderator?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:05 pm 
***** General

Ken

I'd be willing to just referee and not make any affirmative or negative posts related to the leading candidates if that would help. I've appreciated how you've done that more and more as the mods thinned out. Perhaps we could PM ConservTexan and ask her to provide more balance? She's very pro Newt and post for that argument but has thus far stayed out of most of the strained back and forth and has credibility with both camps.

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:16 pm 
***** General

Southern Doc wrote:
Ken

I'd be willing to just referee and not make any affirmative or negative posts related to the leading candidates if that would help. I've appreciated how you've done that more and more as the mods thinned out. Perhaps we could PM ConservTexan and ask her to provide more balance? She's very pro Newt and post for that argument but has thus far stayed out of most of the strained back and forth and has credibility with both camps.

I'd feel good about seeing either JustGrace or ConservTexan as mods. I think it'd be nice to have at least one active Newt supporter as a mod for balance and so that we have someone to turn to if we need to have any more PM's sent to Newt supporters. I do think such warnings would be received better by mods supporting the same candidate as the poster being warned.

In terms of how things have been here lately in general, I think they've settled down a lot since goalieman left. SD and I have both had some extended convos with JustGrace, but those have been pretty cordial and even-tempered. For the most part Newt's supporters post positive stuff about Newt (which Santorum's supporters only rarely respond to) and negative stuff about Romney (which Santorum's supporters either pile on or ignore), and Santorum's supporters have mainly just been posting and commenting on whatever's in the news at any given time. There's been some engagement between the two sides, but it's seemed to stay pretty tame, in my opinion.

I'd, frankly, be disappointed to lose SD's analysis and insights on the candidates in the race, both pro and con. If anyone needs to be holding his tongue a little more around here it's probably me, not him. Haha. I can see the mods perhaps needing to take a more neutral/referee approach if things get heated again, but at this point I don't think there's a need for that.

Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:28 pm 
***** General

Liked: 66
FirstCoastTerp wrote:
So I'm thinking that the three of us (SD, Chris, and myself) are the only mods actively moderating currently and that it would be good to have a Gingrich supporter as a mod to help ensure there is some balance. What do you think of asking JustGrace to be a moderator?

I've been trying to actively watch the topics lately, but I've actually been on travel for work and have had zero time to check in. It's actually the first time in a while that all of my active topics aren't marked read. I don't think I've gone through enough of the topics lately to see all the emotion and less than polite responses that were produced as a result. Overall though, I think you all are doing a great job trying to navigate the tough line of having a stated position, while being able to step back from that position to see things neutrally.

[armchair psych]IMHO, members who disagree with a mods choice see it as an authority figure telling them who to vote for. This is probably what sparked the whole "HA turned into Santorum's Army" thing several weeks back. No mods that have remained active through the 'off years' (that I can recall) are backing Gingrich. And since we have had such overwhelming agreement on all things Huckabee for the longest time, the feeling of being misaligned with the leadership has probably caused some misgivings, and consequently, push-back.

Anyway, I see nothing wrong with the mods wanting to explain their positions or preferred choice. We all just need to be aware that it may turn some people away because of the misalignment with leadership. But if people aren't willing to stick around to discuss why they think the conclusion they came to is the correct one, and are unwilling to do so civilly, then maybe it is better they go.[/armchair psych]

I still consider myself to be a 'disinterested' party to the primary election. Maybe I should make more of an effort to post in the heated threads as I have stated several times in each "who would you vote for" thread that I have remained uncommitted to a candidate. Maybe that could give some stability to those who may be feeling attacked. One thing that has REALLY bothered me is that once Huck dropped out 'we' forgot all that he taught us about vertical politics and civility. I pray that HA never loses that. So if there is anything that you would like me to do, please let me know.

--Attention Guests--
Join the Discussion!
Click the graphic to join!

:army

Post by bmk2307 Liked by: Southern Doc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:48 pm 
***** General

If Brett is more available and/or ConservTexan can step in, that should be sufficient. It sounds to me like we are all on the same page.

Post by FirstCoastTerp Liked by: bmk2307

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:35 pm 
General

Liked: 52
I'm still here, BTW - reading posts basically daily and enjoying keeping up with things, but I haven't been posting as much as ya'll. If you need more input from me, I can provide it, but that would only be adding another pro-Santorum mod in the mix, so that's not likely what's needed right now.

I think it's fine for us to share our views on the current candidates, but as mods we need to make sure we stay COMPLETELY above-board and far from some of what, IMO, has been immature reactions and responses of those like goalieman and others. We don't want to provide any fuel for the fire as we desire to maintain the vertical politics philosophy as Brett mentioned.

HuckPAC donor code R23742

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:17 am 
***** General

Mary your input (as well as all mods and admins) is always welcome. I hope DC is treating you well. You are missed in Jacksonville!

The time each of us has ebbs and flows, so if we could all check on this thread as often as we are able to would be a big help. Sometimes all that is needed is confirmation to make sure that nobody is acting unilaterally.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:40 am 
***** General

FirstCoastTerp wrote:
Mary your input (as well as all mods and admins) is always welcome. I hope DC is treating you well. You are missed in Jacksonville!

The time each of us has ebbs and flows, so if we could all check on this thread as often as we are able to would be a big help. Sometimes all that is needed is confirmation to make sure that nobody is acting unilaterally.

BTW Ken: I was born in Jacksonville and lived in the Arlington neighborhood off Ft Caroline Road till I was ten. You're a lucky man to live in St. Augustine. We try to get there as often as we can. We were blessed with five days at the beach last Summer.

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:51 am 
***** General

Nice. We're heading to that general area tomorrow night to watch my son's basketball game (off of McCormick Rd). We used to live in Mandarin for 7+ yrs before moving down to the World Golf Village area. If you ever get a chance to return to St Augustine, feel free to give me a hollar.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:06 am 
***** General

Well it seems there is still restlessness.

Iowa4Huck and ibelieve are pretty hypersensitive. When your going rounds with TVV over him being somehow insensitive that's not a good sign.

viewtopic.php?f=181&t=26332

And tilting with me which others can judge.

viewtopic.php?f=181&t=26329

I think a warning is in order and it needs to come from Ken.

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:04 am 
***** General

Here's the PM I just sent to ibelieve:
Quote:
I can understand your frustration but the initial commentary by SouthernDoc was a legitimate critique of how others might respond. You are effectively saying that he is not free to provide his input and that is not your call to make.

While Gingrich supporters are welcome here, this is not a Gingrich forum so it is not realistic to expect that a thread about Gingrich will only have responses from Gingrich supporters.

You can choose to ignore posts you don't like or agree with or you can provide a response explaining your point of view. You do need to refrain from making things personal. Please review the forum rules, in particular #5 and #9:
viewtopic.php?f=171&t=2796

Post by FirstCoastTerp has received Likes: 3 bmk2307, cschande, Southern Doc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:10 am 
***** General

Here's my PM to IowaforHuckabee (almost the same):
Quote:
I can understand your frustration but the initial commentary by SouthernDoc was a legitimate critique of how others might respond. You are effectively saying that he is not free to provide his input and that is not your call to make.

While Gingrich supporters are welcome here, this is not a Gingrich forum so it is not realistic to expect that a thread about Gingrich will only have responses from Gingrich supporters.

Regarding Cain specifically, I agree with you and have defended him from the outset. The reality is that the media is very likely to highlight the allegations. It is a terrible thing, but it is not inappropriate for members here to comment on how the media will spin it.

You can choose to ignore posts you don't like or agree with or you can provide a response explaining your point of view. You do need to refrain from making things personal. Please review the forum rules, in particular #5 and #9:
viewtopic.php?f=171&t=2796

Post by FirstCoastTerp Liked by: cschande

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:12 pm 
***** General

Looks like Colin and Michelle probably shouldn't be posting here anymore:

colinashley wrote:
nrobyar wrote:
I was shocked and so disappointed that Governor Huckabee made the statement that his words were made in general when we all know that he was making those comments directly about Romney. He was not being honest and that is absolutely shocking to me. What is FOX doing to Govenor Huckabee?

And, as far as Newt using Huck's words, well...at least he didn't orchestrate an entire commerical to make it appear that Governor Huckabee was the narrator for the commerical like Mitt did. I didn't hear Governor Huckabee make nearly as much objection over that ad and it was much more dishonest. Governor Huckabee knows that Mitt runs a dishonest campaign. That's what gets me....

I have gained much more respect for Sarah Palin because she has the courage to come out for Newt. Anyone who calls themselves a conservative and endorses Mitt is only doing so for political gain. I was also disappointed in Marco Rubio. He could have quietly asked Newt to remove the ad but he made sure to cry out loud and clear to get some press, IMO.

I absolutely agree Linda! Gov Huckabee appears to be siding with Romney at every opportunity. He is more concerned about his own ambitions than ensuring a Conservative wins the nomination. Makes me sick that he would sell out in this way.

michelleashley wrote:
Mike Huckabee has completely sold out to the Republican Establishment and is just trying to advance his career at Fox News by defending Mitt and piling on Newt.

When Huckabee ran this ad for the press, it was a blatant publicity stunt to gain free air time because he couldn't afford to buy it. Very strategic but the fact that Newt is now using it shouldn't surprise him and I'm so disappointed in Gov Huckabee that he is lying now about what he meant in the ad.

I used to think Gov Huckabee was one of the last principled politicians out there but sadly, now I feel he is just a politician, going along to get along. He has now become part of the problem in the Republican Establishment.

He is like a kid in high school who was bullied by the popular kids; they've now accepted him in their club and now he is bullying other kids that were his friends. This is so horrible because Gov Huckabee knows how it feels to be bullied and now he is one of them.

My husband and I are no longer watching Huckabee's show and we will not support him should he ever run for office again.

Those of us who have supported Huckabee in the past need to stand by those principles that attracted us to Huckabee in the first place rather than defending him because we can't possibly accept the fact that he is not the man we thought he was. Even if he won't stand on principle, we must!

viewtopic.php?f=181&t=26310&start=45

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:25 pm 
***** General

Do you think we should remove those posts?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 968 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next