Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:15 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 48
Quote:
The NAACP announced Saturday the 103-year-old black civil rights group is supporting same-sex marriage.

The group's board of directors made the decision at a meeting this weekend, saying it was a "continuation of its historic commitment to equal protection under the law."

The decision follows President Obama's recent support of gay marriage, a move that threatened to divide key parts of the Democratic voting base -- the gay and black communities.

"The mission of the (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) has always been to ensure political, social and economic equality of all people," said Roslyn M. Brock, chairman of the board. "We have and will oppose efforts to codify discrimination into law."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05 ... z1vNMcqqfJ

The actual title of the above article is "NAACP announces support of same-sex marriage, shoring up Obama's base."

What do you think? Does this move by the NAACP "shore up" Obama's base?

When you read the article you get more of the idea that Obama's endorsing of same-sex marriage is going to both help and harm him. Which I think is true. I just hope it harms more than helps his election bid.

http://twitter.com/raspberrygirl12
http://roannaj.blogspot.com/

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:35 pm 
***** General

Liked: 525
They desperately HOPE that it will shore up the President's base. I predict it will backfire and hurt both the President as well as political influence of the NAACP among a significant number of black Americans.

The political influence of the NAACP in modern times has been overstated. There are 39 million black Americans but only about a half million members of the NAACP. Some people may be swayed by the statement of support but, since blacks as a group are more socially conservative than the Republican Party, methinks the organization will catch some grief from some of the people it claims to represent.

Post by TheValuesVoter Liked by: SEEllis

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:25 pm 
***** General

If the Obama Re-election campaign were smart, they'd stop sending out their proxies in the black community to push for same-sex marriage (rapper and entrepreneur Jay-Z got into the act last week, endorsing same-sex marriage). If they have any intelligence at all, they will stop talking about the issue. Every time I see another Officially Sanctioned Black Democrat Who Is Supposed To Influence All Black Folk publicly echoing the push for same-sex marriage thing - or hear the President or one of his proxies talking about how the Golden Rule and Jesus' teachings led them to support changing the definition of marriage, the more resolved I get to oppose them politically. It makes me mad and I get more mad the more they keep doing it. The more they talk about this issue, the more I am tempted to go beyond my stated stance of not voting for Obama and actively voting for his opponent - as much as I totally dislike him. The very fact that I actually entertained the thought of voting for the dreaded Mitt Romney should show people how deep this issue runs.

And if the Republican Party operatives have ANY intelligence whatsoever, they will do two things immediately. First, they will spend some time, effort and money reaching out to black voters. You have a number of disaffected black voters whose only motivation for voting Democratic is because they don't believe voting Republican is an option, partially because no one is asking them to. Hello? A part of the reason why you have not is because you ask not, in part because a number of supposedly smart people running the party leadership apparatus don't think it's worth the trouble to ask. Secondly, they should avoid saying or doing anything to anger or alienate black voters. Obama just lost 15% of his black turnout all by himself with this issue. No attack ad caused this damage - Obama did it to himself by being himself - more liberal than he presented himself as being when he first ran in 2008. A word of wisdom to Republican party hacks - when you see your opponent beating up on himself, you don't interrupt him. The only thing that will reverse that loss is if black voters are galvanized by seeing racially-tinged or overly personal attacks on the President. Get rid of the idiots who do those types of things. There are a few Republicans who have the tendency to always say the wrong things that are divisive and incendiary - lock them up and turn off their microphones. People who think it would be a really neat idea to inflame racial divisions by running Rev. Wright ads or by calling Obama a Food Stamp President - send those geniuses out of the country for the rest of the year - their lack of intuition and discernment is not just disturbing but is also a strategic liability. Aside from the GOP's desperate need to expand its demographic base, think about it from a strategy perspective. Your opponent just fumbled the football on his own 15 yard line. Don't turn around on the next play and throw an interception to give the ball right back.

Post by TheValuesVoter has received Likes: 2 justgrace, WhatsNotToLike?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:56 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
Thank the Lord for you, Values Voter. We need such a voice here and in a broader venue. How's the book coming? :wink:

Post by justgrace has received Likes: 2 IowaforHuckabee, WhatsNotToLike?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:04 pm 
***** General

justgrace wrote:
Thank the Lord for you, Values Voter. We need such a voice here and in a broader venue. How's the book coming? :wink:

Thanks, justgrace - I appreciate it. The book is an interesting topic. In the past couple of years since I started researching for it, I have had a number of personal obstacles. I've had a number of illnesses in the family. There have been times where I've had a pretty intense work schedule. And I've also been pretty disorganized in that I've been focused in a bunch of different directions and haven't focused enough to make the progress that I need to make. But I still will write this book, along with a bunch of others that the Lord put on my heart to write (about various topics - abortion, broken families, etc). But I will do it and can use prayers from my friends here that I will be able to get this completed.

I have a personal vision for myself to be able to write as a side vocation and to persuade some people about a couple of things:
1) The fact that unborn babies are human beings in development and that they are the same people in the womb that they are when they exit the womb no more than nine months later. I want to show people both logically and scientifically, not just in terms of Scripture and moral arguments, which they can quickly reject, why abortion is wrong.

2) The fact that there are three institutions that God created on earth: the Family, the Church, and the Government. And I have a few thoughts about all three institutions.
a) The Family is the foremost and central of all human institutions. The family is centered around the Covenant of Marriage, which is the most fundamental of all human relationships, and which is defined as a lifelong relationship between one man and one woman. Children are meant to be born and raised inside of a family that includes a married mother and father. Parenting needs active involvement from both parents. The primary responsibility for educating children as well as teaching them right from wrong is the work of the parents. And when these principles get compromised, bad things happen.

b) The Church is the Body of Christ, the collection of all people who have received God's grace through accepting the finished work that the Lord Jesus Christ did on the Cross. While there are a lot of human church organizations, there is only one Church. There are no skin colors associated with the Church. If you've accepted Christ, you are in the Church. The most significant indicatorthat someone belongs to Christ involves how we love. To be able to represent Christ, we must love. As much as we want to win over people who are lost and confused, I believe that you can't show God's love to people you don't love.

c) As much as people bash our Government, God Himself did create the concept of Government (Romans 13) and part of our ministry on earth is to be good citizens. There are some fundamental principles, though, by which both Governments and individuals should operate. One that particularly comes to mind is the concept of debt. The Bible claims that the borrower is a slave to the lender (Proverbs 22:7). Having a deficit over a long period of time, whether for a government or for a family, is an absolutely proven way to eventually go broke.

3) The fact that we as a nation need to STOP being so obsessed with the topic of race in the way that we think about the world. We need to talk about race because we think about it so much and, like steam in a closed pot, the only way to relieve the pressure is to let it out and talk about it with each other. But we need to get to the point where we stop thinking about it so much - all of us. We need to build bridges and relationships with each other and stop allowing differences that have arisen because we haven't enough time together in the past keep us in those boxes and making the same mistakes going forward.

4) And, along those lines, and in keeping with one of the things I want to communicate in my book, the way to protect the interests of those of us who are "values voters" is to form broader coalitions that extend beyond the traditional voting blocs. If nothing changes and we keep dividing ourselves into little segments with white evangelicals voting Republican and black social conservatives voting Democrat, both parties will ignore all of us. Because there aren't enough white values voters in the Republican Party to keep the party from going the way of Romney and there aren't enough black values voters in the Democratic Party to turn the party back from the way of Obama, we're all going to get marginalized unless we find a way to knock down the political walls that divide people because of demographics and instead unite people across multiple demographic groups based on values and shared goals. So, we need to get all the people who believe in Faith, Family and Freedom - no matter what they look like or where they live - and start working together politically instead of diluting our strength by having us segmented across two parties.

This is part of what I hope to be able to communicate more broadly.

Post by TheValuesVoter has received Likes: 2 IowaforHuckabee, justgrace

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:49 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 36
African American leaders blast NAACP 'gay marriage' support:
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/african-american-leaders-blast-naacp-gay-marriage-support/

Post by Grant Liked by: TheValuesVoter