Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:09 am 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 36
Quote:
NORFOLK, Va. -- Republican Mitt Romney will announce his vice presidential choice on Saturday, ending weeks of speculation about the No. 2 slot on the GOP ticket.

NBC News and CNN, citing sources close to the Romney campaign, are reporting House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan will get the job. USA TODAY is trying to independently confirm the information.

Romney is set to reveal his running mate at the U.S.S. Wisconsin, before setting out on a tour of key swing states to highlight his economic plans for the middle class.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/onpolitics/post/2012/08/romney-vp-saturday/1#.UCXnXJbtBcw

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:23 am 
***** General

Liked: 247
My local CBS station is reporting that Ryan indeed has been selected.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:27 am 
Lieutenant General

AP source: Romney picks Ryan for running mate:
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ROMNEY_RUNNING_MATE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-08-11-01-04-02

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:37 am 
***** General

Liked: 72
Good. I am relieved.

Part of me wanted Huck to be VP choice for Romney. The rest of me says no it does not make sense. He would be 2nd fiddle. The Dems would drag up all of the ads of Romney dissing Huck and vice versa. Lots of issues.

The Huck Haters like Levin, Limbaugh, Malkin, Coulter, etc would have had a tissy fit. There would have been a civil war in the talking head crowd.

I still don't see Romney winning. Ryan will help but it is similar to 2008. The top of the ticket is what most people vote for especially the swing voters.

Let Gov Huckabee relax for a few years. He can make millions doing what he is doing. He can build a true down to earth conservative coalition and win the nomination for POTUS fair and square when the time comes.

Hopefully there is an America left by then. :tinfoil

"If there was hope, it must lie in the proles..." George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:17 am 
Captain

Liked: 72
Good pick ....solid social and fiscal conservative that will stir up the base and definitely brings new vision and direction for the country.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:58 am 
***** General

Liked: 225
Hmm.. I guess executive experience wasn't really that important. Nor private sector experience. My first gut reaction to this news was "this is a losing ticket". This pick is a further illustration of Romney's tone-deafness to the mood of ordinary Americans. However, I am happier with this selection than I would be about Christie/Portman/Pawlenty. It may be that Ryan is the right man for the time... he is the most vociferous proponent of entitlement reform currently holding office. And if that's where Romney' focus is, we should be glad. This choice does not make me more excited to vote for Mitt Romney.

edit: What are other peoples gut reaction? Happiness? Encouraged? Relieved? Meh?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:58 am 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 58
I'm very happy about this! Adressing entitlement reform shows that Romney's economic plan isn't just about making the economy better during his presidency, it's about changing the path America is on long-term.

I'm a big Ryan fan, partly because he like me is an economist :) I'm getting really psyched about this election now :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:09 am 
***** General

Liked: 525
My reactions, definitely mixed, are as follows:

1) Bad: Say goodnight, Florida! The now-Blue Sunshine State.
2) Good: At least I think Ryan is definitely pro-life and seems to have actual convictions, unlike Romney for which neither of these is true.
3) Bad: Breaking News - Mitt Romney is still at the head of the ticket.
4) Good: Ryan seems to actually concerned about managing the budget - something that few others in Washington seem to care about.
5) Bad: He looks younger than me. He has no foreign policy experience and basically not much experience outside of politics.
6) Bad: Romney doesn't have foreign policy experience either. I can imagine the next Democratic ad now: "It's 3 AM in the morning. There is a crisis in Pakistan. And Mitt Romney needs to make a quick decision.

The election is going to come down to Ohio, Pennsylvania and Florida. Even if Romney/Ryan win every other swing state, including Wisconsin, that would give Romney only 260 electoral votes. Ryan will almost definitely cost Romney Florida and Pennsylvania was going to go for Obama anyway. Based on what I see now, I don't see this ending with a victory for Romney.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:12 am 
Corporal

Liked: 8
Paul Ryan BEGS Congress to Pass TARP ( PATHETIC )

“They have this idea that people should be left alone, be able to do whatever they want to do. Government should keep our taxes down and keep our regulation low and that we shouldn’t get involved in the bedroom, we shouldn’t get involved in cultural issues, you know, people should do whatever they want. Well, that is not how traditional conservatives view the world, and I think most conservatives understand that individuals can’t go it alone.”

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:23 am 
Corporal

Paul Ryan on Bailouts and Government Stimuli
-Voted YES on TARP (2008)
-Voted YES on Economic Stimulus HR 5140 (2008)
-Voted YES on $15B bailout for GM and Chrysler. (Dec 2008)
-Voted YES on $192B additional anti-recession stimulus spending. (Jul 2009)

Paul Ryan on Entitlement Programs
-Voted YES on limited prescription drug benefit for Medicare recipients. (Nov 2003)
-Voted YES on providing $70 million for Section 8 Housing vouchers. (Jun 2006)
-Voted YES on extending unemployment benefits from 39 weeks to 59 weeks. (Oct 2008)
-Voted YES on Head Start Act (2007)

“They have this idea that people should be left alone, be able to do whatever they want to do. Government should keep our taxes down and keep our regulation low and that we shouldn’t get involved in the bedroom, we shouldn’t get involved in cultural issues, you know, people should do whatever they want. Well, that is not how traditional conservatives view the world, and I think most conservatives understand that individuals can’t go it alone.”

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:25 pm 
Lieutenant General

I like Paul Ryan and was actually hoping for a Huckabee/Ryan ticket this time; at least I was able to get half of the ticket I wanted. :D

Paul Ryan helps put Wisconsin in play. :)
Quote:
The PPP poll actually shows Ryan helps Romney close the gap in the Badger State. While President Obama led Romney in a straight head-to-head matchup, 50 percent to 44 percent, adding Ryan to the GOP ticket reduced the margin to one point, 47 percent to 46 percent.

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R), meanwhile, didn't help Romney close the gap at all in the poll. Romney still trailed 49 percent to 43 percent.

In Wisconsin, Romney is trying to win a state which hasn’t voted for a Republican presidential nominee since 1984. But the 28-year blue streak has been colored with shades of of purple. In 2000 and 2004, George W. Bush lost the state by less than one percent of the vote.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/can-paul-ryan-deliver-wisconsin-for-romney/2012/08/11/91369f64-e3c2-11e1-ae7f-d2a13e249eb2_blog.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:33 pm 
Lieutenant General

Quote:
Ryan’s presence on the ticket also could increase Romney’s appeal among the millions of middle-of-the-road Catholic voters who populate key swing states, like Ohio and Pennsylvania. Catholics are considered the quintessential swing vote, and no presidential candidate has won the White House without winning Catholics since at least the early 1990s.

Quote:
“As a conservative Catholic, Ryan is likely to appeal to a number of Catholics in the Midwest,” said John Green, a professor of religion and politics at the University of Akron in Ohio. “Catholics who are concerned about religious liberty, he is certainly a positive there.”

Quote:
In an interview with CNN, former GOP hopeful Newt Gingrich, who is Catholic, said that Ryan would shore up support in a Catholic community that feels it is “under siege.”

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbench/2012/08/paul-ryans-catholicism/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:06 pm 
Lieutenant General

Paul Ryan's acceptance speech:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:42 am 
Private

I'll start this post this way...

In my opinion, a Romney/Ryan Ticket is not going to win this election.

On 3-11-12, I wrote:
"I my humble opinion, a Mitt win in November is a defeat and loss for conservatives. In my opinion, minus well keep B.O. in office so a real conservative will emerge in the 2016 election. I think if Romney is the Republican nominee, he will lose, and at a large margin. Then and only then will the Insiders in the Republican Party will start to realize they are on the wrong track.
Then, hopefully, Huckabee will hear that small still Voice to 'Do The Right Thing".
As far as Ryan's endorsment of Romney? IMO, he just sold himself for 30 pieces of silver.
Just my thoughts."
Peter

Also, in my opinion, Romney does not care about us. He cares for himself and his grerat dreams of himself [dare I say Pride?] just like Obama.

What we need for a President is a "Washington" who declined to run a second term so America could be seen as "WE THE PEOPLE".

I believe that Individual will rise up...with the help of God...and restore the Greatness of America.

Are you that individual?

Instead of focasing on the Presidency, I will now focus on Senate and Congress races to make sure that Conservitives win the majority.

God Bless...Peter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:44 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 48
Patriot4America wrote:
I'll start this post this way...

Also, in my opinion, Romney does not care about us. He cares for himself and his grerat dreams of himself [dare I say Pride?] just like Obama.

Honestly, I think Romney cares more about America and for its people than Obama does or ever will. There is nothing wrong with having dreams for yourself or having some healthy pride. However, to equate Romney as on the same level as Obama. Sorry... it's just not even close.

And I actually cannot wait for an opportunity to meet Gov. Romney. Because TV is not always kind to everyone (like it is to Mike Huckabee). I am beginning to wonder if Romney is actually more likeable, down to earth, etc in person than on TV, which is where most of us have seen him.

That being said I still don't even think Romney and Obama are on the same level. Romney cares more about America... just look at his campaign slogan "Believe in America" whereas Obama's is "Forward" or as it was in 2008 "Yes, we can." Tell me which is more patriotic, and which is more for America?

http://twitter.com/raspberrygirl12
http://roannaj.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:09 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 48
TheValuesVoter wrote:
My reactions, definitely mixed, are as follows:

2) Good: At least I think Ryan is definitely pro-life and seems to have actual convictions, unlike Romney for which neither of these is true.
5) Bad: He looks younger than me. He has no foreign policy experience and basically not much experience outside of politics.
6) Bad: Romney doesn't have foreign policy experience either. I can imagine the next Democratic ad now: "It's 3 AM in the morning. There is a crisis in Pakistan. And Mitt Romney needs to make a quick decision.

2) Yes! Ryan is strongly pro-life, which is awesome. While I am not completely trusting of Romney that his views were changed. He gives me a 50% chance of being changed over Obama who is 0% in that he(Obama) will never change. However, the fact that Romney chose someone as staunchly pro-life as Ryan... does mean something, I hope. http://www.lifenews.com/2012/08/11/mitt ... ning-mate/

5) Actually, I think it is a good thing that Romney chose a young guy for VP. Just imagine if he would have chose Rob Portman. As it stands now, we have a young, energetic guy running for VP. Compare him to Biden and even Obama. He looks younger and seems even more enthusiastic. Definitely a better speaker than most. And if you want the youth vote that Obama won last time... well Paul Ryan will probably help steal some of that. And just because someone is young, doesn't mean that they are not capable of a job. Our country has done poorly at having low expectations for young people. If we set high expectations, maybe we would have more young people like Ryan who are competent and capable.

6) Foreign policy experience is good. And yes, its bad that neither one running has the proper experience. But neither did Huckabee who all of us (including me) here on HA wanted to run. And if I remember correctly Obama had none either. Obama's done a pretty poor job, but hopefully Romney will be able to use his business mind to do well in this area.

http://twitter.com/raspberrygirl12
http://roannaj.blogspot.com/

Post by ohiorepublican09 Liked by: Grant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:38 pm 
Lieutenant General

On Fox News today, Bill Kristol referenced recent polls indicating Romney losing ground across the Midwest, which is one likely reason that Romney decided to go with Paul Ryan.

Also, Paul Ryan is quite experienced despite his young age:
    Earned B.A. in Economics and Political Science from Miami University
    Volunteered for congressional campaign of John Boehner
    Staff economist to Senator Bob Kasten (Wisconsin)
    Legislative Director for Senator Sam Brownback
    Speechwriter for conservative advocacy group Empower America
    Speechwriter for Jack Kemp, 1996 Republican Vice Presidential candidate
    Marketing consultant for Ryan Incorporated Central Construction Company
    Currently serving as Chair of the House Budget Committee, member of the Committee on Ways and Means and subcommittee on Health, member of the Congressional Middle East Economic Partnership Caucus, member of the Republican Study Committee, Co-Chair of the Sportsmen's Caucus, and his 7th term as Rep. of Wisconsin's 1st District (he has won every re-election bid with over 60% of the vote)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:01 pm 

Liked: 152
I live in Illinois - about 20 miles south of Janesville, WI, where Paul Ryan has lived all of his life. His family has lived there for 5 generations.

I've followed Paul Ryan fairly closely because our local newspaper (Beloit, WI) covers a lot of news regarding him even though it is actually based in Democrat Tammy Baldwin's district.

I am a strong supporter of Paul Ryan and adding him to the ticket earned my vote and my volunteer support for Romney/Ryan.

For those that don't think he is a pure enough conservative - please let me remind you that it is his job to represent his constituents. The GM plant in Janesville was part to the backbone of their economy. I was not anymore surprised that Ryan supported the auto bailout than I was that my own conservative Representative did because of the Belvidere Chrysler Plant (where my husband worked until he retired and 3 of our sons work at now) in his district.

Gov. Huckabee has said numerous times that politicians have to work across the Party aisles by starting with the issues they agree on and compromising on the issues they can't.

I honestly believe that this will be the last Presidential election where there is any chance at all of the GOP uniting the SoCon and Libertarian sides of the Party. IMHO the same-sex marriage issue will force the GOP division before or during the 2016 election cycle.

If you check out Paul Ryan on the issues you will see that they rate him as a "Hard-Core Conservative" http://www.ontheissues.org/House/Paul_Ryan.htm/ which is exactly how they rate Mike Huckabee http://www.ontheissues.org/mike_huckabee.htm :D

Post by GrannyT has received Likes: 4 ConservTexan, Grant, ohiorepublican09, WhatsNotToLike?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:47 pm 
General

Liked: 41
I am happy that Romney didn't choose Pawlenty (blah) or Portman (Bush). Just this last week, Romney went to talk to Perkins and another Christian leader. Looking at this visit in hindsight, it probably was to find out if Ryan would be an acceptable running mate for the Evangelicals.

I am sad that Romney didn't go against all the elite Establishment and choose Huckabee who would have been a good pick for the Midwest and the South. I trully believe this was Huckabee's last shot at ever getting to be President (could be wrong). Huckabee will never be an acceptable choice for President, so he needed to be the VP so the Establishment couldn't squeeze him out. Now with Ryan being the choice, the Establishment has a lot of choices IF we need a Republican running in 2016. There is Ryan, Christy, Thune (they love him for some reason), McDonnell, Walker, Pence and we can't forget Marco Rubio who will have some experience by then. If Huckabee couldn't get the Establishment support (which he would need to run for President unfortunately) in 2012, he sure won't get it in 2016 (being out of office many years). Huckabee will probably stay at Fox and on the radio and rack up those millions of dollars rather than spend milions of dollars foolishly in 2016.

Ryan will probably be a good VP, and probably a much better President in the future.

I worked hard to help Mike Huckabee, but probably won't get involved again now or in the future. That doesn't mean I won't vote for Romney/Ryan, but can't give my whole heart...hurts too much!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:03 pm 
***** General

Liked: 133
Vote For Truth wrote:

I worked hard to help Mike Huckabee, but probably won't get involved again now or in the future. That doesn't mean I won't vote for Romney/Ryan, but can't give my whole heart...hurts too much!

I know just how you feel. Haven't decided yet how much I will get involved - much depends on what I think of Paul Ryan once I know him a little better.

Please check in with HA when you can, though, VFT. We would miss you if you dropped off the planet :)