Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:11 pm 
Captain

Liked: 72
http://conservativebyte.com/2012/08/mys ... uncovered/

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:54 pm 
***** General

Liked: 525
I'm sorry, folks, but the Eastwood speech tonight was probably one of the strangest things I've ever seen occur on live television. I think it threw off the folks who came after him - Rubio and Romney. Nothing seemed to be normal after that speech.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:25 am 
***** General

Liked: 247
ColoradoMom4Huckabee wrote:
TheValuesVoter wrote:
I'm sorry, folks, but the Eastwood speech tonight was probably one of the strangest things I've ever seen occur on live television. I think it threw off the folks who came after him - Rubio and Romney. Nothing seemed to be normal after that speech.

Quick thoughts:

Yes, Eastwood seemed to ramble quite a bit, but I thought he got in a few of zingers....some of them inappropriate. :?

I thought Rubio was fantastic! He came across as honest, straight forward, smart, and inspiring. I hope he is allowed to speak for the Republican party more often.

To me, Romney started off slow, but ended on some strong notes. I was so distracted by his demeanor for most of his speech, thinking he was trying too hard to soften his image and come off as a nice, gentle guy. I found him more effective when he spoke with more boldness tonight. One of his best moments:
"President Obama promised to begin to slow the rise of the oceans and heal the planet. My promise is to help you and your family." I'll be interested to know how he went over with the rest of the country.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:34 am 
***** General

Liked: 525
I personally think that Romney's speech was not delivered up to his usual standard. We all have different feelings about Romney, but, he is capable of giving a good speech that is relatively even-paced. I really think that he was thrown off somewhat by the Clint Eastwood monologue, which, from the Romney perspective, could not have come at a worse time. That speech by Eastwood is what many people will remember most from the Republican National Convention.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:09 am 
** General

Liked: 107
TheValuesVoter wrote:

Quick thoughts:

Yes, Eastwood seemed to ramble quite a bit, but I thought he got in a few of zingers....some of them inappropriate. :?

I thought Rubio was fantastic! He came across as honest, straight forward, smart, and inspiring. I hope he is allowed to speak for the Republican party more often.

To me, Romney started off slow, but ended on some strong notes. I was so distracted by his demeanor for most of his speech, thinking he was trying too hard to soften his image and come off as a nice, gentle guy. I found him more effective when he spoke with more boldness tonight. One of his best moments:
"President Obama promised to begin to slow the rise of the oceans and heal the planet. My promise is to help you and your family." I'll be interested to know how he went over with the rest of the country.

I agree with everything you said. Eastwood's speech was really weird. His best line was "Biden is the intellect of the Democratic party." :floor

Post by Huckabeliever Liked by: ColoradoMom4Huckabee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:45 am 
***** General

Liked: 247
TheValuesVoter wrote:

Quick thoughts:

Looks like "nice, gentle guy" was exactly what Team Romney was going for. He wasn't trying to appeal to us so much but rather, those in the middle who are still clinging to Obama because of an emotional attachment, according to this article.

Quote:
A Suitor Makes the Case for Divorce

By JIM RUTENBERG

Published: August 30, 2012

TAMPA, Fla. — Through three nights of gauzy videos, sentimental testimonials and, finally, his own address to the nation Thursday, Mitt Romney worked hard to show he has a heart.

Damon Winter/The New York Times

Mr. Romney worked hard to win over the hearts of Republicans this week. The bigger challenge lies ahead.

But he still needs to tackle the much harder job of convincing those Americans who so emotionally invested their hearts in President Obama four years ago that it is time to accept that his presidency did not work, let go of him and move on.

Not even Mr. Romney’s own strategists are pretending that is going to be simple. And even before leaving the nominating convention here, they were beginning a delicate 10-week campaign aimed at those voters who are disappointed in Mr. Obama but just can’t yet bring themselves to quit him.

After month after month of disappointing job numbers, poll after poll showing dissatisfaction in his economic performance and hundreds of millions of dollars in negative advertisements, a large portion of wavering voters maintain a personal attachment to Mr. Obama, and a tentative willingness to give him more time to get it right, top strategists with both campaigns agree.

More here: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/31/us/po ... wanted=all

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:12 am 
***** General

Liked: 440
I thought Eastwood's best line was when he talked about the politicians working for us - and when they aren't doing their job, we need to let them go. Pure and simple - Obama's not doing the job he was hired to do, so we need to let him go - plain enough for even the uneducated voter to understand.

I wish he would have left out the inappropriate parts. They totally didn't need to be there. You would have thought he was smart enough (and classy enough) to realize where he was speaking and to whom and for whom. I can't imagine what the Romney's were thinking at that moment.

I thought Marco gave a tremendous speech. I kept thinking, someday he will be speaking there again, only as the nominee. His story about his dad working behind the bar at the back of the room for all of those conventions so that his son could one day speak behind a podium at the front, was a tear-jerker. It's amazing how many people I've talked to today - even those pretty heavily involved in politics - who had never heard of him before. Guess I forget how well informed we are here at HA.

I actually thought Romney's speech was pretty good. Of course, it could be because it's the first one I've ever actually had the stomach to listen to. I thought nearly everyone's speeches (except Mike's) were oddly slow and awkward, as if they were told to talk very slowly and the teleprompter was running very slowly.

One politician I was introduced to that I really liked was Susana Martinez, the Governor of New Mexico. I thought her speech was great. Being a former Democrat, I could relate to her "aha" moment of realizing she was actually a Republican.

I thought Ann Romney's speech was very good. She came off as so likable.

Mike was great, as always. He is such a natural up there, especially compared to some of the ho-hum P's that came before him. Bittersweet.

Paul Ryan's speech was also impressive. I think, other than Mike, he was the best VP pick. I loved his response of "let's get it done" when asked to be VP.

Overall, there wasn't enough talk about life, marriage or Israel for me, but I thought there were a lot of great speeches and a lot of great lines.

Post by IowaforHuckabee has received Likes: 2 ConservTexan, Miranda

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:55 am 
Private

Liked: 8
IowaforHuckabee wrote:
I thought Eastwood's best line was when he talked about the politicians working for us - and when they aren't doing their job, we need to let them go. Pure and simple - Obama's not doing the job he was hired to do, so we need to let him go - plain enough for even the uneducated voter to understand.

I wish he would have left out the inappropriate parts. They totally didn't need to be there. You would have thought he was smart enough (and classy enough) to realize where he was speaking and to whom and for whom. I can't imagine what the Romney's were thinking at that moment.

I thought Marco gave a tremendous speech. I kept thinking, someday he will be speaking there again, only as the nominee. His story about his dad working behind the bar at the back of the room for all of those conventions so that his son could one day speak behind a podium at the front, was a tear-jerker. It's amazing how many people I've talked to today - even those pretty heavily involved in politics - who had never heard of him before. Guess I forget how well informed we are here at HA.

I actually thought Romney's speech was pretty good. Of course, it could be because it's the first one I've ever actually had the stomach to listen to. I thought nearly everyone's speeches (except Mike's) were oddly slow and awkward, as if they were told to talk very slowly and the teleprompter was running very slowly.

One politician I was introduced to that I really liked was Susana Martinez, the Governor of New Mexico. I thought her speech was great. Being a former Democrat, I could relate to her "aha" moment of realizing she was actually a Republican.

I thought Ann Romney's speech was very good. She came off as so likable.

Mike was great, as always. He is such a natural up there, especially compared to some of the ho-hum P's that came before him. Bittersweet.

Paul Ryan's speech was also impressive. I think, other than Mike, he was the best VP pick. I loved his response of "let's get it done" when asked to be VP.

Overall, there wasn't enough talk about life, marriage or Israel for me, but I thought there were a lot of great speeches and a lot of great lines.

NOTABLE QUOTE "I thought Marco gave a tremendous speech. I kept thinking, someday he will be speaking there again, only as the nominee."

Yes, I agree. A Huckabee/Rubio Ticket. Peter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:21 am 
***** General

Liked: 225
IowaforHuckabee wrote:

NOTABLE QUOTE "I thought Marco gave a tremendous speech. I kept thinking, someday he will be speaking there again, only as the nominee."

Yes, I agree. A Huckabee/Rubio Ticket. Peter
In the meantime, anybody want to work on a campaign to convince Huckabee to run for U.S. Senate in Arkansas for 2014? Pryor (D) ran unopposed in '08 . Should be an easy win for Huck, right?

Post by christopher.wilkerson Liked by: Huckabeliever

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:31 pm 
Major General

Liked: 147
I only caught the highlights on Huckabee. I wasn't up to sitting through the whole thing. I loved Gov. Martinez' line, "I'll be damned, we're Republicans." Dh and I were both cracking up over that. The Republican party is the natural home for most Hispanics when you look at our values. Many are turned off not by the immigration policies advocated but the tone of the rhetoric. Just as Values Voter talks about reaching black voters by changing the tone and not the platform so too can more Hispanic voters be won over by a change in tone. Gov Martinez is one example of an Hispanic who was won over by a friendly conversation.