Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:41 am 

Liked: 340
This article is a must read:

In Iowa, Mike Huckabee is making moves

by Scott Conroy of Real Clear Politics.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2014/10/23/in_iowa_mike_huckabee_is_making_moves__124401.html

The article goes over 3 pages. Well researched and good background info of Huckabee's chances and the decision-making process leading up to his possible run.

And shows us once more, why we need to encourage him to run, and pray for him.

He has a real shot at this.

Post by Peter Liked by: christopher.wilkerson
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:46 pm 
***** General

Liked: 225
I just read it... it was great. I especially like the party about Chip Saltsman and Sarah, Alice Steawart and Chad Gallagher having conference calls and traveling with the Gov.

Quote:
Huckabee’s strategists have drawn up a blueprint for the prospective candidate to consider, which lays out a specific timeline, including when he will have to make decisions about whether to jump into the race and a benchmark list of “things that have to happen” should he get in.

These efforts in and of themselves mark a significant change in approach from four years ago, but the biggest difference between Huckabee’s mentality now compared to then, all of his advisers agree, has been his renewed commitment to wooing major donors.

Fundraising has never been a task that Huckabee particularly enjoyed, nor has it been one of his strong suits as a politician.

In his 2008 run, he raised just $16.6 million—less than half the amount that rival Republican contender Mitt Romney contributed to his own campaign.

This time around, RealClearPolitics has learned, Huckabee’s strategists have set a goal of raising $25 million to $30 million for his prospective primary campaign and the same amount through a supporting super PAC.

This was also nice:

Quote:
“Mike Huckabee is 100 percent running,” said Des Moines-based conservative radio host Steve Deace. “No doubt about it at all. He’s in.”

And David Lane, a typically reticent conservative political operative who is close to Huckabee, agreed with Deace’s assessment.

“I’m watching the chess pieces moving around the board, and I can tell you he’s running,” Lane told RCP in a rare interview. “There’s no question about it to me.”

Everyone needs to hit the comments and upvotes there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:24 pm 
***** General

Quick Iowa Caucus facts: Mike Huckabee has the record for the highest vote count in the history of the caucuses (when there wasn't an incumbent Republican President running for re-election.) Of course increased turnout has a lot to do with that. Turnout increased by 36% between '00 and '08, and then 2% between '08 and '12.

Huckabee's 2008 total was 40,954. Compare that to :

Santorum (2012) - 29,839
Romney (2012) - 29,805
Romney (2008) - 30,021 (by the numbers, Romney actually lost support between '08 and '12, even though caucus turnout increased by 2300 voters)
Bush (2000) - 35,231
Dole (1996) - 25,378
Dole (1988) - 40,661
Bush (1980) - 33,530

Exit question: What was the cause of the increase in turnout between 2000 and 2008? The population of Iowa only grew by about 3 % in that time. Was it just more attention paid to politics in a post 9/11 world? Or did Huckabee cause evangelicals to flock to the caucuses, and can that be extrapolated nationally in a general election?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:07 pm 

Liked: 8
Great article! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and it certainly makes me excited for what is to come.

Adam

Post by agrandy Liked by: justgrace

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:49 am 

Liked: 340
christopher.wilkerson wrote:

Exit question: What was the cause of the increase in turnout between 2000 and 2008? The population of Iowa only grew by about 3 % in that time. Was it just more attention paid to politics in a post 9/11 world? Or did Huckabee cause evangelicals to flock to the caucuses, and can that be extrapolated nationally in a general election?

I hope a connection can be made between your question, Christopher, and what Grace said on the other thread:

justgrace wrote:
Many recent elections could have been won if conservatives had not become discouraged, or "forgot," or weren't registered, etc. Our greatest threat is not from the liberals but from so many conservatives staying home.

Liberal Democrats have shown little hesitancy to vote twice or more. Meanwhile, only half the 89 million Christian evangelicals are registered; 1/4 to 1/2 of those vote. Do the math. It becomes almost impossible to change our government if we don't care enough to vote (I am sure you do care!). But turn that math around. If even 50 million of those evangelicals (plus other Republicans) get out, Obama's agenda would be done!

I hope we can all make a point of calling or reminding others to vote, and also offering to take them to the polls.

A candidate Huckabee will draw a different Republican voter coalition to the polls than, say, a candidate Romney did. It would be quite interesting to do some (state by state) anaylsis based on these facts.

And also measure in that Huckabee probably has expanded his base now from 8 years ago.

Post by Peter Liked by: justgrace

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:36 am 
***** General

Peter wrote:

A candidate Huckabee will draw a different Republican voter coalition to the polls than, say, a candidate Romney did. It would be quite interesting to do some (state by state) anaylsis based on these facts.

And also measure in that Huckabee probably has expanded his base now from 8 years ago.

It could be argued that if Huckabee was going to bring out this new coalition, then why didn't it materialize for him in the '08 primaries?

I guess a possible answer is that MH did so well in Iowa because that's where people got to know him up close and personal. There was also a front-loaded primary schedule in which an underfunded Huckabee campaign couldn't capitalize on the Huckaboom and go the distance.

I believe a lot of the attacks against Huckabee in '08 will be less effective in '16 because he is now a known quantity. People are willing to overlook a lot if they have that familiarity and a sense that a candidate is basically a good person. And, like MH himself has acknowledged, he has been in many peoples homes every weekend for years. Is that enough to recreate the Iowa effect?

One thing republican voters should acknowledge though, is that we tried the foreign policy candidate with McCain, we tried Fiscon candidate with Romney, so maybe it's time to give the socon a chance.

Post by christopher.wilkerson Liked by: justgrace

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:26 pm 

Liked: 8
christopher.wilkerson wrote:
we tried the foreign policy candidate with McCain, we tried Fiscon candidate with Romney, so maybe it's time to give the socon a chance.

Great thread so far! I would add that neither Senator McCain nor Governor Romney were particularly engaging. I feel like that is Governor Huckabee's greatest strength.