Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Huckabee's VP selection
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm 
Major

Liked: 90
I know I am getting ahead of myself as it should be at least a couple of months until Huckabee would even announce he is running; and it is of course typical that a running mate is not selected until one wins the nomination. But here are my questions:

First, who do you think would be the strongest option for Huckabee to select as a running mate and why?

Huckabee strengths are his strong social values, his experience as a governor, his strong opinion on many foreign affairs issues namely in the middle east, his deficit reductions and lowering taxes as Governor, current name recognition likely higher than anyone not names Bush and Romney (and I guess trump and guiliani if either ran), his ability to connect to people and come across as one of the people, and the fact that he has already been through this process. He also polls better than any GOP candidate among women.

His weaknesses are potential fundraising, the fact that his spending as a governor often paints him as a moderate on fiscal issues, and his weaker appeal in some swing states.

So who helps some of his weaknesses?

Walker: won 3 times in 4 years, strong ficon, governor, but very very very boring.

Martinez: female, may appeal to some constituents Huckabee currently doesn't reach, has a geographical advantage few candidates will.

Someone new?

Players like cruz, paul, Romney, santorum, carson, etc would either add nothing to the ticket or Huckabee would not consider them (or vise versa).

Then the second part is whether Huckabee might consider announcing WITH his VP pick. Show the American people what they get right off the bat; have double the campaigning; and honestly take a potential competitor out of the field.

Thoughts?

Post by karrboy84 Liked by: Hucks Army - Bill
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:54 pm 
Site Admin

Liked: 42
Karrboy84 I totally agree!

Players like cruz, paul, Romney, santorum, carson, etc would either add nothing to the ticket or Huckabee would not consider them (or vise versa).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:51 am 
***** General

Liked: 225
I think he wouldn't pick anyone new, flashy, or gimicky. I think he would err on the side of establishment gravitas. But I think he has also said in the past that the biggest qualification a VP should have is the ability to competently take over the top job.

Marco Rubio would be an imaging coup, but it would mean leaving vulnerable that senate seat in FL.

I agree that Cruz and Paul are no-go's. I think they lack the humility needed to mesh well with Huckabee's style. Remember Vertical Politics?

If you want my honest appraisal (and you won't like some of these names), here are some names I think might actually be considered:

Condoleezza Rice
Jon Huntsman
Judd Gregg
Lamar Alexander
Jeb Bush
Rob Portman
Paul Ryan
Bobby Jindal
Mitt Romney
Mike Pence
John Kasich
Nikki Haley
Roy Blunt
Scott Brown
Jim Demint
Mitch Daniels
Scott Walker
Tim Pawlenty
John Thune

Susana Martinez and Brian Sandoval are definitely possible, but I think it's more likely they will run for office again in their own states.

As to whether Huckabee should announce his selection early: I say no. You double the chances for gaffes to sink your campaign before capturing the nomination, and you lose the chance to briefly dominate the media cycle in the months close to the general once you've made your selection.

Post by christopher.wilkerson Liked by: Hucks Army - Bill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

[quote="christopher.wilkerson"]I think he wouldn't pick anyone new, flashy, or gimicky. I think he would err on the side of establishment gravitas. But I think he has also said in the past that the biggest qualification a VP should have is the ability to competently take over the top job.

Marco Rubio would be an imaging coup, but it would mean leaving vulnerable that senate seat in FL. --- If the electorate in Florida votes for Mike then any decent candidate could win. I would also trade a Senate seat for the White House.

I agree that Cruz and Paul are no-go's. I think they lack the humility needed to mesh well with Huckabee's style. Remember Vertical Politics?

MY THINKING! List Yours below!

Condoleezza Rice -- would be a lock but I am not sure if her stand on LIFE and MARRIAGE IS CORRECT, if not this would eliminate her.

Mike Pence
John Kasich
Nikki Haley
Mitch Daniels
Scott Walker
Susana Martinez and Brian Sandoval are definitely possible, but I think it's more likely they will run for office again in their own states.

With as many possible potential candidates Mike will be in the top 5 in any poll. Also any poll will have at least 2 moderates in the top five so if we can narrow the field quickly by building a strong, organized, verifiable grassroots Army we could possibly discourage most of the 12 to 15 weaker potential conservative candidates to not get in. I believe at least 50 percent of these weaker conservatives supporters will go to Mike and the rest will be split among the remaining candidates. It will be like when Mike said NO in 2012 Santorum came from nowhere to became a top contender and Gingrich stabilized because most of Mikes supporters went to these two!

As to whether Huckabee should announce his selection early: I say no. You double the chances for gaffes to sink your campaign before capturing the nomination, and you lose the chance to briefly dominate the media cycle in the months close to the general once you've made your selection.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:09 am 
Major

Liked: 90
Rice is most definitely not an option for Mike. She is further left than anyone likely running. I also agree that if Rubio helps lock up Florida than that is a great option. If Kasich or Walker are ok being on the bottom of the ticket, I could see them high on Hucks list.

Post by karrboy84 has received Likes: 2 Huckabeliever, Hucks Army - Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:40 am 
Site Admin

karrboy84 wrote:
Rice is most definitely not an option for Mike. She is further left than anyone likely running. I also agree that if Rubio helps lock up Florida than that is a great option. If Kasich or Walker are ok being on the bottom of the ticket, I could see them high on Hucks list.

If Mike wins the Primary, no one that Mike would ask, would turn down the VP position, especially as young as Kasich and Walker are. (Kasich has more personality and has been there before, Kasich was the one who actually balanced the budget as Chairman under Reagan) --they all say they are doing this for their country so none of these would say no.

Post by Hucks Army - Bill Liked by: justgrace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:34 pm 

Liked: 152
I cannot imagine Huckabee choosing anyone as VP that doesn't hold the same values as Huckabee does. If a person isn't qualified to earn a Huckabee endorsement and HuckPAC support, they aren't qualified to even be on a VP long list.

Post by GrannyT has received Likes: 2 Huckabeliever, justgrace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:31 pm 
Major

Liked: 34
GrannyT wrote:
I cannot imagine Huckabee choosing anyone as VP that doesn't hold the same values as Huckabee does. If a person isn't qualified to earn a Huckabee endorsement and HuckPAC support, they aren't qualified to even be on a VP long list.

This goes without saying. I think the real question is where to find someone not owned body and soul by the Establishment.

I'm uncomfortable with the Presidency turning into a dynastic office, granted that Adams made it that originally, but I believe the next 2 presidents related by blood (off the top of my head) were the Roosevelts, almost a hundred years later. And now we have the possibility of 3 Bushes or 2 Clintons.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:41 pm 
***** General

Liked: 190
Suzanne Martinez is my choice as Huck's vp....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:35 am 
Major

Liked: 8
Rep. Raul Labrador (R-ID)-yeah, it seems parochial (as I'm from Idaho) but I think Labrador has historically had a lot of Tea Party support. He's smart , well-spoken and would balance the ticket nicely. While Idaho will go for the GOP nominee anyway, it'd help to have someone Western.

If Huckabee's the nominee, than Huckabee/Labrador would be a fantastic ticket.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:00 am 
***** General

adamelijah wrote:
Rep. Raul Labrador (R-ID)-yeah, it seems parochial (as I'm from Idaho) but I think Labrador has historically had a lot of Tea Party support. He's smart , well-spoken and would balance the ticket nicely. While Idaho will go for the GOP nominee anyway, it'd help to have someone Western.

Well that depends - would he be picking Labrador to reassure the base, or would he be focusing on a general election audience; the country at large?

At the point of making the VP choice, our nominee will be focused on winning independents and moderates.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:11 am 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 208
I like:

Mike Pence
Bobby Jindal
John Kasich

Not necessarily in any order. This is of course a long way out, but if he did in fact get the nomination there wold be a lot (and I mean a lot) of pressure to pick an Establishment type Republican to balance the ticket and guarantee fundraising for the General. This would be the first test of leadership, and it would be very important to not bow to this pressure.

Post by WalterCan Liked by: justgrace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:43 pm 
***** General

What he could do to shock everybody and show that he's not a "business as usual" candidate is to select no one and allow the convention to decide, like in the old days.

I'm not saying it's a great idea, but it would be interesting 8) .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:56 pm 
Major

Liked: 34
adamelijah wrote:

Hey fellow Idahoan!

Huckabee/Labrador would be a good ticket in that you have a bit of the hispanic vote as well and can lock down the Tea Party to some extent. My only concern is that he's really young and has only been a legislator. I'd like to see a dynamic VP who comes out as somewhat of an heir apparent and a natural choice once Huckabee's term in office is up and I'm no sure that Raul would take the leap immediately from Congressman to VP all that well.

If we wanted that, all we would have to do is put Marco Rubio on the ticket and lock down Florida, more hispanics and the Tea Party in one fell swoop. I want my Presidents to come with a side of executive experience. A double-gubernatorial ticket would be best IMO.

Having said that, I think, should he be elected, a President Huckabee would have all the makings for a Team-of-Rivals style approach to government with all of the possibilities out there right now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:58 am 
Captain

Liked: 25
I like Martinez, too, for a number of reasons. She's intelligent, speaks well (at least she seems so whenever I've heard her speak), and has executive experience. As an Hispanic woman she would help with those two demographics, and she's from a different part of the country than Mike.