Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:11 pm 
***** General

Liked: 225
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/12/us/po ... .html?_r=0
Quote:
Mr. Santorum, the runner-up to the Republican nominee, Mitt Romney, in 2012, took direct aim Friday at Mike Huckabee, Senator Rand Paul and Senator Ted Cruz, each of whom could offer the party’s right wing a fresh alternative to Mr. Santorum in conservative states with early primaries or caucuses.

Discussing Mr. Huckabee, the former Arkansas governor and winner of the 2008 Iowa caucuses, Mr. Santorum raised four policy issues that he said would prompt questions about Mr. Huckabee’s fealty to conservative principles.
Mr. Huckabee, who has a following of Christian conservatives, may present the biggest obstacle to Mr. Santorum, who narrowly won the Iowa caucuses in 2012. But Mr. Santorum said Mr. Huckabee would have considerable vulnerabilities on the right.

“He has to talk about Common Core. I love talking about Common Core,” Mr. Santorum said of the education standards that have become deeply unpopular among conservatives. “He has to talk about immigration and the Dream Act. I love talking about immigration and the Dream Act. He has to talk about taxes; I haven’t voted for a tax increase. I have a 100 percent record on taxes, signed every pledge every year.”

Mr. Santorum then turned to an aide and asked: “What’s the other one?”

Reminded that Mr. Huckabee had once backed a cap-and-trade program to reduce carbon emissions, Mr. Santorum exclaimed: “Climate change. This guy was for climate change.”

Mr. Huckabee’s spokeswoman declined to address the individual issues, instead criticizing Mr. Santorum for “pulling the pin on grenades tossed in our own G.O.P. tent.”

“Governor Huckabee’s actual views — not the distortions of them — are fortunately well documented in his own voice through 12 published books, six and a half years of television and radio commentary, and daily postings on his blog and Facebook,” said Alice Stewart, Mr. Huckabee’s spokeswoman and a former spokeswoman for Mr. Santorum.

So...ahem. Any member's of Rick's Army have anything good to say about this 'gentleman'? I will try to restrain myself - but can we at least state the obvious that this is a man who's conservative and is ANGRY about it? I mean these 2 men fight for the same causes right? But Santo is already throwing elbows. It makes me want to :barf

Post by christopher.wilkerson Liked by: Hucks Army - Bill
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:18 am 

Liked: 340
Santorum mainly won Iowa last time around, because he was the anti-Romney, in my opinion. Mr Santorum should try governing first bevor attacking conservative governors.

Post by Peter has received Likes: 3 christopher.wilkerson, Huckabeliever, Hucks Army - Bill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:14 pm 
Captain

Liked: 25
Sad. I expected more out of Santorum. This suggests to me he knows that if Mike is in the race it decreases his chances of even being a blip on the radar.

Post by Lee has received Likes: 2 Huckabeliever, Hucks Army - Bill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:06 am 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 208
You can't really fault Santorum for recognizing that Huckabee is his primary competition for the evangelical vote in Iowa. And I agree that Santorum must realize that if Huckabee runs strong again then he (Santorum) would only be able to do low single digits.

But if he's going to take shots then he should be accurate, and he knows there are good explanations for all the things he mentioned. He saw how Romney distorted his record in 2012, and he should know better than to do it to someone else.

Post by WalterCan Liked by: justgrace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:34 am 
Major

Liked: 8
I think it's one of those pieces the NYT does where they take one part of a longer conversation and highlight it. I'd say it's unfortunate because it's really too early to star t throwing elbows and I sincerely hope this doesn't turn into a Conservative record measuring contest because that's not what our country needs.

Post by adamelijah has received Likes: 3 christopher.wilkerson, Hucks Army - Bill, justgrace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:14 pm 
***** General

Liked: 225
Quote:

Reminded that Mr. Huckabee had once backed a cap-and-trade program to reduce carbon emissions, Mr. Santorum exclaimed: “Climate change. This guy was for climate change.”
This part, I think, makes me the angriest. Absolute disrespect. I get the sense Santorum, like many angry Republicans, just dismisses Governor Huckabee as a southern hick not to be taken seriously.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

Liked: 42
Lee wrote:
Sad. I expected more out of Santorum. This suggests to me he knows that if Mike is in the race it decreases his chances of even being a blip on the radar.

Lee, you are exactly right, just take a look at any poll that both he and Mike are in, Santorum polls only 2% - 3% and Mike polls 9% - 15% in all the national polls I have seen.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:55 pm 
Site Admin

Liked: 42
christopher.wilkerson wrote:
Quote:

This part, I think, makes me the angriest. Absolute disrespect. I get the sense Santorum, like many angry Republicans, just dismisses Governor Huckabee as a southern hick not to be taken seriously.

Let us ALL remember there will be many things said about Mike by Santorum and his followers which I believe is only two or three percent of the primary vote, but I also believe that 90% of his vote will go to Mike when he drops out if WE ONLY WATCH WHAT WE SAY about Santorum and his followers, because that 2-3 percent could make a big difference in a very close race.