Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:52 pm 
***** General

Liked: 525
Hello! Whether you're someone who follows the Wonkette blog, a Paul supporter, or anyone else, I just felt like writing a message to welcome you to the discussion group here and telling you a bit more about why many of us are here. I am not writing on behalf of Hucks Army as a whole, but just as one of its members, although many may agree with me. Welcome, and we're glad you're here!

We're here because we very strongly believe that Mike Huckabee is simply the most qualified and best person to lead America at this moment in our time.

Contrary to what many believe, not all Huckabee supporters are Evangelical Christians, although many of us are. And for at least most of us, our committment to Huckabee isn't because he's a "Christian Leader" or because we have some desire to turn America into some type of theocracy. Most of us have friends, family members, and other people we care deeply about who don't hold the same opinions on issues as we do. And the great thing about America is that regardless of your religious faith or lack of it, this is a country that gives us all freedom to make those personal decisions.

Not all of us are hard-core Republicans, although many of us are. In fact, there are a lot of people supporting Governor Huckabee who never cared that deeply before about politics, including Independents and also some Democrats. But, just like many people who support Senator Obama on the Democratic side, we also are attracted to a candidate who has a real desire to change things and who is not just another career politician. Governor Huckabee not only desires change, but has brought a set of innovative ideas to the campaign and has the talent and substantial experience to change the country for the better.

We're not all people who live in the Bible Belt; in fact we seem to be spread out around the whole country. We represent a wide group of age groups, including many young people. We represent a variety of ethnic and racial backgrounds. We also represent various income brackets.

Many of us have different primary reasons for supporting Governor Huckabee. From being on this forum for some time, I could probably rattle off a few of the most common.

Of all the 2008 Presidential Candidates, Mike has the most experience of actually running a government. I deeply respect the work of a U.S. Senator, but there is a significant difference in literally making decisions "by committee" and being the person who is solely responsible for making sure that things get done. Mike is the only remaining candidate who actually has that experience.

We all want a President who will bring us together instead of dividing us further. Mike was a popular Republican governor in a heavily Democratic State. He became governor just four years after Bill Clinton left office. In a state that was largely run by Democrats, he was re-elected until term limits made him ineligable for further re-election. In a country where most blacks will not vote for a Republican, Mike received 48% of the African American vote. And in a highly divided, "us vs. them" country, many people who held very different views on social issues than Mike still found themselves liking him and believing that he is a good man and an effective leader.

We like the fact that Mike actually has a new idea about the economy, in the form of the Fair Tax. Our country and its citizens spend a significant amount of money in enforcing a very complex tax code that some people abuse altogether. No other candidate has suggested a wholesale paradigm shift in the way that our nation gets money from its people. Many of us are drawn to Mike's ability to bring new thinking to solve problems.

Many of us like the fact that Mike is focused not just on those who make a good salary, but also on the needs of those who do not. Mike has attempted to focus on an area that many Democrats have been turned off about with regard to the Republican Party. He's tried to ensure that the party focuses not exclusively on the upper class but also on people who are struggling financially. And he actually means it.

Many of us are very impressed by the way that he's run his campaign. Looking at the list of campaign finances for each candidate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_for_the_2008_presidential_election, it is very clear that Mike has been able to get his message out to the American people in a frugal manner that we only wish politicians in Washington would emulate. We have seen a number of candidates whose campaigns have simply run out of money, despite the fact that they raised tens of millions of dollars. We have seen some candidates go into debt, loan themselves millions of dollars, and form relationships with special interests that might compromise their ability to lead in a fair manner should they have been elected. Mike has run his campaign in the same way that poor people become better off, small companies become bigger, and countries see improved economies. He has spent wisely, spent frugally, and learned to be extremely effective while scaling back. We admire that. We wish America was run that way.

Although the topic of abortion is a very divisive and controversial subject, I think it's fair to say that people on both sides of the debate appreciate someone who has firm convictions on the subject but yet is able to talk about it without being disrespectful to people who disagree. Many of us are pro-life and respect the fact that Mike has beliefs that compliement ours. But we also appreciate something else about him. He has actual convictions. And he doesn't change his message or his beliefs just because he is speaking with someone who disagrees with him. His committment to his principles is greater than his fear of dissapproval. America needs a leader who has that quality. He is honest.

Most people who have seen Huckabee interviewed on camera are attracted to his personality. I doubt that he can afford a full-time speechwriter, but, he doesn't need one. He's refreshingly unscripted. He's original. He doesn't have to sit and think what the best thing to say to a particular audience is before he says it. Mike reminds us all of someone who we would like to be neighbors with. Somebody we could watch a ball game with. Get a meal with. In a world of synthetic politicians, he is a breath of fresh air.

Mike is not a product of aristrocracy. We're not hearing about him because he had a powerful relative or had widespread name recognition coming into the race. Everything that he has, including the level of support and success he's had so far, he has earned with the force of his ideas, character, and personality. A Mike Huckabee Presidency isn't going to be a "Part 2" or "Part 3" sequel of anything. It will be an original production, staring a regular, extremely qualified guy with good ideas, credibility, who actually cares about regular people. He hasn't been stagnated in his thinking by spending a lifetime in Washington. It couldn't be clearer that he is not a member of the Washington Establishment that has served itself so much more than it has served the rest of us.

All that said, I hope that you have a good time browsing through the site and we hope you know more about us. We're a broader and more diverse group of people than the media would lead you to believe. We generally try to be respectful in the tone of many of our conversations. But, if we're ever not, please forgive us. The subject of who will lead our country at this critical jucture is a very passionate one for all of us.

We all hope that you'll take the time to actually learn more about Governor Huckabee, his positions and his record. Because we think that if you get familiar with this yourself and not just rely on the media talking points about him being just the "former Pastor," or whatever else, you might find that you really agree with him on more issues than you think. Whether or not you're a Christian. Regardless of your race, age, or gender. Even if you're not a Republican.

Have an awesome day!!!

Post by TheValuesVoter Liked by: All-in-for-Mike
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:41 am 
** General

Liked: 11
ValuesVoter - This is one of the best introductions to Mike and to Huck's Army that I have ever read. I strongly encourage you to adapt it for use as a letter to the editor (or some other public forum), and get it out there. Excellent job!

Visitors to this site - welcome. As I just said, ValuesVoter hit the nail on the head with their description of us and Mike. Hopefully you are able to find what you are looking for here. If not, just ask, we will help you find it, or research it if we don't know.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:30 am 
***** General

Thanks, davem! I actually posted a copy on my blog at http://thevaluesvoter.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F3D4C1BC1D8B0D91!325.entry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:57 am 
***** General

Liked: 215
I also welcome any visitors!! We are glad to have you.

Great post, TVV!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:36 pm 
Colonel

Liked: 0
Contrary to what many believe, not all Huckabee supporters are Evangelical Christians:

To start with, all the candidates left are Christians. Huckabee is very fair. He doesn't allow any discrimination against Jews, black, etc. It doesn't make sense for non-Christian to be afraid of him just because some news want to make fun of his religious faith.

Not all of us are hard-core Republicans.

I'm independent, but I have no interest in sending the message of "It's okay to get pregnant by mistake since tax can pay most of your abortion fee." Also, Huckabee sicerely cares about people of America. He has good ideas to how to solve problems, how to reduce problems and debt.

Although the topic of abortion....

I'm afraid some people are pro-abortion not knowing some information. As I understand pro-life policy, "if the life of the mother is in danger for the pregnancy, then the unborn child's life can be taken." If you're concerned about rape pregnancy, the rate is no more than 0.1 to 0.2%.

Huckabee sincerely cares about the people of America. It's not fair to be Anti-Huckabee without understanding his qualities.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:25 pm 
***** General

Asking the leadership here:

Does anyone have a problem with this getting posted to RCP? I think that as Huckabee supporters, we are misunderstood almost as much as Huckabee is. I wanted to share my thoughts with others about what motivates most of us to support Huck. Because it references this site, HucksArmy.com, I won't post it though if someone running the site objects.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:58 pm 
***** General

I did not get a response and so I am posting it to RCP. If someone objects, I can later pull it down.

Post by TheValuesVoter Liked by: maryrae

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:01 pm 
Colonel

Liked: 0
TheValuesVoter wrote:
Asking the leadership here:

Does anyone have a problem with this getting posted to RCP?

Sorry. What RCP stands for??? :?:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:07 pm 
***** General

Real Clear Politics. The section for articles from readers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:05 pm 
***** General

Posted to Real Clear Politics http://www.realclearpolitics.com/readerarticles/?period=all

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:33 pm 
** General

Liked: 11
I gave you a vote :)

Go to http://www.realclearpolitics.com/reader ... period=all, look for "Welcome to the world of a Huckabee supporter!" and vote for it!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:56 pm 
Brigadier Geneal

Liked: 99
I voted for your article too! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:59 pm 
*** General

Liked: 14
This was so well written. Thanks for such a well thought out article to welcome visitors. I tried to vote but the site wouldn't let me. I hope that doesn't happen when I go into the voting booth. :lol:
Welcome to our site. Thank you for taking time to learn about why we have chosen to support Mike Huckabee.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:04 pm 
***** General

Thanks very much!! To vote for any article in RCP, you just have to create an account and then click log in first (the site is a little wierd in that it won't tell you that you're logged in, but you still have to click the login button first - at least the first time you go there). There are usually a bunch of other pro-Mike articles there and it's always a good idea to vote for them if you agree with them, to keep them alive (they dissappear if not enough people vote for them).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:16 pm 
*** General

Liked: 14
Got it. I just needed to log in since I had already registered a while back. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:07 pm 
***** General

To any newcomers to the site, here is a welcome to you from way back in 2008. Believe it or not, many people here have continued to post here since Mike's 2008 campaign and have been actively waiting for three to four years for him to run again. Hang out here and find out what great characteristics that Huck has that drives this type of loyalty.

Welcome!!

Post by TheValuesVoter has received Likes: 2 GrannyT, Texan4Huckabee

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:05 pm 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
TheValuesVoter wrote:
To any newcomers to the site, here is a welcome to you from way back in 2008. Believe it or not, many people here have continued to post here since Mike's 2008 campaign and have been actively waiting for three to four years for him to run again. Hang out here and find out what great characteristics that Huck has that drives this type of loyalty.

Welcome!!

I agree with all TheValuesVoter has said here. We are happy to welcome newcomers who like Mike, as members, or those who are just wanting to read what's going on, as guests.

This has been the most civil blogsite I have ever participated in. None of the profanity and calling each other names! We care about Huckabee, but we also care about and respect one another. Maybe it is just that Mike's pleasantness and example rubs off on most of us, most of the time. We can usually agree or agree-to-disagree with civility. We feel that having a little difference of opinion helps us learn whether our arguments need some polishing.

We love Huckabee. We hope he will announce to run for the Presidency tonight so we can get to work to help him turn our country back to commonsense, more simple government. Nice to have you visit, and maybe join if your heart is with us.