Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Register Independent??
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:58 pm 
Sergeant

Liked: 0
No matter what each of us decides to do in the November election, it is obvious that many of us are upset with the Republican establishment as it stands now. I think it might be a good idea to follow Lou Dobb's lead and register as an independent. We can still support Mike, but if our party is taking us for granted, switching to an independent ballot does send a message that the party has to earn our vote. They have truly forgotten this. I'm already an independent, but I lean hard to the Republican side of things. You can still vote Republican in November if you want to. It won't harm you, the voter. But if enough people do it, it will get the GOP's attention. It's the first step in reforming our party, our government, and even our country.

I've read Mike's books, Character, and From Hope to Higher Ground as I'm sure many of you have too. Now I'm almost finished reading War On The Middle Class by Lou Dobbs, which I also highly recommend. It's a little scary to read, but it is definitely motivating, especially when paired with Mike's books.

If you want the GOP to earn your vote, consider switching to independent. Just a thought.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:59 pm 
Sergeant

Here's what Mike had to say yesterday during his concession speech. Does is sound like he wants us to abandon the GOP?

“I extend my congratulations – and my commitment to John McCain and the Party – to do everything possible to unite our party and our nation, to be the best country we can be, not for ourselves, but for future generations. I am grateful that Senator McCain has led an honorable campaign because he is an honorable man.”

“It's now important that we turn our attention, not to what could have been or what we wanted to have been, but what to now must be, and that is a united party,”

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:07 pm 
Sergeant

ILikeMike wrote:
Here's what Mike had to say yesterday during his concession speech. Does is sound like he wants us to abandon the GOP?

“I extend my congratulations – and my commitment to John McCain and the Party – to do everything possible to unite our party and our nation, to be the best country we can be, not for ourselves, but for future generations. I am grateful that Senator McCain has led an honorable campaign because he is an honorable man.”

“It's now important that we turn our attention, not to what could have been or what we wanted to have been, but what to now must be, and that is a united party,”

I know. I wondered about that. I posted for feedback, so thanks. I thought my idea might actually help in the cause to motivate positive change. It wouldn't necessarily be abandoning the GOP. I still plan to vote Republican in November. It might keep the establishment from brushing off conservatives and Mike himself if there is a reaction from us.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:10 pm 
Lieutenant

I'm going to switch to Independent. I was an independent before my caucus in Iowa, and now I'll be going back. Maybe they'll see a sudden rise in people "leaving" (It's more a symbolic thing than anything, since anyone can vote any way they wish in the general election) and see the correlation between the numbers and when Huck left the race. It might make them think.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:16 pm 
Colonel

I love Brewers4Huck's idea :P
GOP needs to learn... If only follow the establishment, they will not change, and they will stop Mike again.
Of course Mike will endorses McCain. He has warm heart but also I don't want him to ruin his political life. We need Mike and he knows that. He shouldn't go against the establishment.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:27 pm 
Private

Brewers4Huck wrote:
I still plan to vote Republican in November. It might keep the establishment from brushing off conservatives and Mike himself if there is a reaction from us.

I agree. It is a little late right now to "send a messagt" other than what would put us in a bad position for 2008. (I really dread the idea of an Obama or Clinton presidency and judicial appointments over the next 4 years.) But after the General Elections are over, consideration and discussion must be had on changing the status quo of the current Republican Party. The ideal test is if this HuckaBoom wave can roll to the 2010 off year elections shores and affect some of those?

If all that we do over the next 4 years is diappear silently into the woodwork, then all we can look forward to is another disappointment, and again being ignored and silenced by the media, the Dems, and the GOP establisment itself in 2012.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:50 pm 
Major General

Liked: 147
Rather then leaving the Republican party, I plan on getting and staying more involved in the party. If conservatives abandon the party the party will move left. I fully intend to be a delegate to my county convention in future election years. I plan on getting involved with my local Republican party in any way I can. I won't be supporting them financially though. I'll save my money for individual candidates instead. We need our voice to be heard in the party. Let's defend the conservative principals that are already in the platform.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:33 pm 
Private

I think instead of leaving the Republican Party we should get more involved and remind the Republican Party of what it should be. Lines are being drawn in the sand and it is our responsibility to keep the line in the same spot, to not allow it to continually move to appease there views. It starts with us standing our ground, no compromises. We shouldn't leave the Republican Party, if we do all moral and convictions go out the door. Instead let's do as Gov. Huckabee said "It's time to stand and be counted, not lie down and be conquered." Stand by your convictions and don't let the Party chase you away.

If I have learned one thing from this, it is that I need to be louder than I was before, more involved than I was before and hold true to my convictions. I'm getting more involved. I think if people knew just how easy it is then more people would do it. Let's educate those around us who dare to care and join forces. Remember "the squeeky wheel gets the grease."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:02 pm 
** General

HOLD UP!!!

Before you switch your party affiliation, MAKE SURE your state's rules in voting allows you to be an Independent and vote in the primaries/caucuses. Each state has different rules and some won't allow you to vote for Mike (in the future) if you aren't a registered Republican.

Of course, you can always switch back to Republican in 4 years, but many might forget to. Be careful when switching parties!

Mike Huckabee Interview on the Issues
In-depth Interview Held in San Fransisco

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:24 pm 
Lieutenant General

I agree with Gambit, but I'd like to add something that he didn't point out.

If you live in a state with closed primaries, you, as an independent, won't be able to vote for Republican Senate, House, governor candidates, etc., during the primary season. So, if your state hasn't held its primary yet, wait until after it does, then register Independent if you want.

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. What I can do, I should and, with the help of God, I will do." --Everett Hale [Emphasis Mine]

Check Out My Blog:
We Want a Christian President...
http://christianpresident.blogspot.com/

Join the Huckabee Alliance: http://huckabeealliance.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:48 pm 
Lieutenant

My hubby just changed to the Constitution Party. I'm not ready to jump ship yet, but he was so fired up, he just went and changed to that party pretty fast.

I think the Constitution party puts up some angry, annoying people that will never win, so that's part of what is holding me back.

Here is their party platform: http://www.constitutionparty.com/party_platform.php

They are pro-life.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:50 pm 
Lieutenant

OH, the Constitution party hasn't elected their nominee, I might add...

THE CONSTITUTION PARTY 2008 PRESIDENTIAL NOMINATING CONVENTION WILL BE HELD APRIL 23-26 AT THE KANSAS CITY MARRIOTT HOTEL DOWNTOWN, 200 WEST 12TH STREET, KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:57 pm 

Liked: 152
I agree with those above that stated if you haven't voted yet don't switch yet. Vote for Huckabee in the Primary election no matter what state you live in. The more votes he receives the more our discontent will be reported. The Constitution Party hasn't even decided who will be running yet. If Huckabee isn't on the GOP ticket, I'll probably vote Independent in the general election. :? I've voted GOP ever since Reagan. Yes I was a Reagan Democrat.

There are some good articles posted on Real Clear Politics that people are voting for. Check out this thread for at least 2 of them.
http://forum.hucksarmy.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11421

And if you haven't done it yet, sign the petition that is linked on top of KingdomAdvancer's article.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:59 pm 
Sergeant

fyrelight74 wrote:
My hubby just changed to the Constitution Party.

Unless Hillary and Obama split and one runs as an independent, a vote for the Constitution Party is a vote for the Democrat nominee. We might feel better about ourselves by thinking we are teaching the GOP a lesson... but it's all an exercise in self indulgence. No lesson will be learned by the GOP.

Mike Huckabee has promised to work to unite the GOP. Why are we taking the low road by voting spitefully against the GOP for a candidate that can't win?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:03 pm 
Lieutenant

ILikeMike wrote:
fyrelight74 wrote:
My hubby just changed to the Constitution Party.

Unless Hillary and Obama split and one runs as an independent, a vote for the Constitution Party is a vote for the Democrat nominee. We might feel better about ourselves by thinking we are teaching the GOP a lesson... but it's all an exercise in self indulgence. No lesson will be learned by the GOP.

Mike Huckabee has promised to work to unite the GOP. Why are we taking the low road by voting spitefully against the GOP for a candidate that can't win?

It wasn't spite... it was despair. He can't, in all conscience, vote for McCain with his views on embryonic stem cells, etc. I agree us all scattering won't do much good.... if we all did the same thing (whether change parties or write Mike in, etc) it would work.

Regardless, you can't make me or anyone else vote for someone they don't believe in.... even IF they are in your party.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:09 pm 
General

Liked: 52
I have a friend here in FL who has been active in volunteer work for Mike and she was NOT able to vote for him in our primary because she evidently had forgotten she was a registered Independent. I have no plans to switch to an Independent at this point, and I would suggest that you take time to thoughtfully consider whether this is the best option before doing it. The GOP party platform still aligns with my values, although quite sadly it is definitely straying from them in its actions as a whole. Admittedly, it would take nothing less than a miracle to return the party to its roots...

HuckPAC donor code R23742

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:21 pm 
Sergeant

fyrelight74 wrote:

It wasn't spite... it was despair.

Semantics.

fyrelight74 wrote:
Regardless, you can't make me or anyone else vote for someone they don't believe in.... even IF they are in your party.

I can't make anybody do anything. I'm only tell you the Mike has pledged to try to unite the GOP.

Seems like something different is going on here among the people who said they believed in him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:30 pm 
Lieutenant

I believe in Mike. Apparently the country doesn't.

Mike may try to unite the party, but Mike is not God. If those on "the other side" don't want anything to do with us Huckabee conservatives, we can't just sit aside and watch them rule.

I love Mike but if he told me to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't do it just because he told me. He knows we have minds and hearts of our own.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:43 pm 
Sergeant

fyrelight74 wrote:
I believe in Mike. Apparently the country doesn't.

Mike may try to unite the party, but Mike is not God. If those on "the other side" don't want anything to do with us Huckabee conservatives, we can't just sit aside and watch them rule.

Now we are back to spite.

fyrelight74 wrote:
I love Mike but if he told me to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't do it just because he told me. He knows we have minds and hearts of our own.

So why should we have listened to Mike in the first place if he can now throw his support behind a man who supports embryonic stem cell research?

Maybe we shouldn't have listened to Mike in the first place. Were we fooled?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:29 pm 
Colonel

IF Mike didn't endorse JM and didn't say what he said to help GOP,
wouldnt it be like suicide as a GOP politician....???