Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:33 pm 
Major General

Liked: 54
Our church has sent out several missionaries who work in Haiti at a mission hospital and education center, not far from the capitol and the center of the earthquake. Though no one on the mission compound was killed, some people who worked there were, and some of the buildings were damaged. The mission hospital has doctors and nurses but they are becoming exhausted after days of non-stop work. In addition, their resources are being rapidly exhausted. Additional doctors were to arrive on a plane yesterday, but their plane was turned away. Here is a recent message.

Quote:
"Things are getting much worse in Haiti. PLEASE pray for the mission as they are running seriously low on generator fuel, and their cisterns (water) are very low, as they are using water for 500 people/day. The docs were turned away at the airport, and had to go back to US. Trying tomorrow. Med staff is exhausted, food... running low. Chris said it is unbelievable in Port-au-Prince, death everywhere. Chaos"

Those of you who know the Living Creator God, please join in prayer for these needs, as it appears things will get much worse before they get better. We know several of these families personally.

If anyone would like to donate to this work and their needs in the near future, here is the link:http://www.bhm.org/bhm/lang-en/home/37/183.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:46 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 1
Any after you have prayed, please donate to the Red Cross or another highly reputable charity. Many of the text and cell phone donation websites deduct a fee and do not submit the donation until after the donor's monthly bill has been paid. Several hang on to the money and only send on the donation quarterly. Research the charity carefully if it is not something like the Red Cross or Doctors Without Borders.

Our local newspaper says the Red Cross is low on blood donations.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 pm 
Sergeant

Liked: 0
I would like to suggest another charity for those interested in helping the Haitians...Love A Child. They are highly rated by Charity Navigator and are a respectable group who love the Haitian people. Plus they are only two hours from Port Au Prince, they have a standing medical clinic that are treating patients 24/7 currently. they have taken trucks out to bring wounded back to the clinic from Port Au Prince. They also have a HUGE food and supply distribution center which is still standing and they are able to coordinate supplies to the hurting from there. Please check them out as well...they are in good position to help the people there as they have systems in place already. Thanks and remember as you donate to pray...God is good and our ever present help in times of trouble..also give to these others...everyone there on the ground working are the hands and feet of Jesus..lets support them! :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:02 pm 
Lieutenant General

Thank you. Did the research. Sent my donation.

As a complete non sequitor--the worst earthquake in the US was in Missouri on 2/12/1812. (I am from California--I really know my earthquakes! And they weren't in my home state. Charleston has also had a doozy. San Francisco 1906 is up there but by no means the worst.)

When you think of Haiti--or Mexico City--or Greece remember, "There but for the grace of God go I."

There will be more--because it is what Earth does. Preparation is the key--one of the reasons we have building codes and a really effective National Guard. Not to mention the Red Cross. (Just in case the so-misnamed "Homeland Security" is a political joke.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:17 pm 
***** General

Liked: 525
Thanks for the information. I sent my donation.

Natural disasters, of one type or another, don't discriminate. Some places, like both Haiti and the U.S. West Coast, are especially vulnerable to earthquakes. A lot of places are regularly hit by tornadoes, floods, hurricanes, tsunamis. And of course there are no shortage of man-made disaters. Tomorrow is really not promised to any of us. I think yet another reason for being compassionate to people in need, beyond the obvious, is because at any point in time, something similar could happen to us.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:24 pm 
Sergeant

Thank you lrobb!!!

I cannot fathom being in an earthquake..we don't have them often in Alabama, but the tornadoes! An F5 tornado hit near my home about 10 years ago and will never forget it. Entire homes were literally sucked out of the ground, the entire basements and foundation were gone, just the hole in the ground. Nature can be very violent indeed. It is so traumatic for those involved in these events. My heart just literally breaks for anyone in tragedy ( I am burn and trauma occupational therapist ). It is hard on me emotionally to see hurting people, and I have been involved with this charity for a while and am praying for my sponsored child in Covant, Haiti, as well. Do not know how he or his family is, but most of the mountain poor live in kay pays or mud huts, not cement homes. I pray he is OK.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:32 pm 
Sergeant

Thanks ValuesVoter, lrobb, and ByOurCreator for this forum and for donating to these servants of Haiti...I tried to donate to Baptist Mission group but had a problem. Will try again. I agree with ValuesVoter, Haiti has much darkness, many problems, but so do we here in America. God loves the Haitian people, even the witch doctors. Now is the time for action, the world already talks way too much.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:45 pm 
Lieutenant General

Dear hbush:

One of the joys of living in the US is experiencing nature at its most extreme. It also emphasizes the necessity of disaster preparedness. I carried earthquake insurance when I lived in San Diego because the San Andreas fault ran just miles from my house. Between 1947 and 1991 when I left California there were 16 earthquakes under my bed wherever that bed might have been. I also experienced two major wildfires. Little or no damage was caused by any because my parents and I knew they were possible and took steps to mitigate their effects.

What I had--that Hatians do not--is a first class education that not only allowed me to evaluate my risk but to take steps to mitigate it.

Down the road, if we want to improve the living standards of any country in the world, is a commitment to education. Let's start at home. (Truly do not mean to hijack a topic. Moderators--move this comment if you believe it is inappropriate.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:20 pm 
Sergeant

lrobb: absolutely 100% agree......

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:46 pm 
** General

Liked: 11
My aunt worked as a missionary in Haiti for 30+ years, all in Port-au-Prince. She had a "housekeeper" (really more like an adopted daughter+family) whom we have not heard from (Margo, Naomi, David and Jonathan).

We also sponsor a girl (Anna) in Haiti through Compassion International. She lives north of Port-au-Prince.

One of my college friends runs the organization "Plant with a Purpose" who do much of their work in Haiti. All of their staff survived, but the wife and baby of one of the staff members (Serge) were killed in Croix-des-Bouquets.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:45 am 
***** General

Liked: 169
Responding to a couple of different thoughts expressed in above posts....

(1) Re: charity on the scene... I would also suggest Franklin Graham's charity, "Samaritan's Purse," which has worked in Haiti for years. He was on his plane trying to fly into Haiti on Thursday. (Franklin Graham is Billy Graham's middle-aged son. Samaritan's Purse runs "Operation Christmas Child," with the shoe boxes.)

(2) re: people in Haiti.... a woman in my homeschool co-op is waiting to hear from her brother-in-law who was there on a short-term mission trip. He and a co-worker walked into the Hotel Montana just moments before the quake hit. Praying for a miracle.......

(3) Re: natural disasters hitting us.... I would have liked to see more aid and rescue teams coming TO the U.S. after Hurricane Katrina. Some of the oil-rich countries from whom we buy our oil could have spared some more U.S. dollars.

(4) re: being prepared for disasters.... ARE YOU PREPARED to live for 3 weeks without going to the store or the pharmacy?? what about drinking water?

If not, take a moment and go to http://www.Ready.gov and print out their lists.

One of the things China keeps trying to do is infiltrate our computer networks, including our public utilities. What if they (or other hackers) were able to completely shut down our electric grid? Do you have enough food to feed your entire family, and maybe a couple of neighbors? Water supply?? Extra meds?

Speaking personally, I also suggest that everyone learn how to use a firearm for home defense, and then obtain one (or more). After Hurricane Katrina, civil order completely broke down, and the government law enforcement agencies were helpless to actually enforce the law.

If you live in an earthquake zone, you should ALWAYS be prepared. Keep your supplies outside in the car: items like drinking water, blankets, a change of clothing, first Aid supplies, a list of phone numbers you'd need, more flashlights (batteries separate) and waterproof matches. Keep a pair of shoes next to your bed (so you don't step on broken glass) and a flashlight shoved between your top and bottom mattresses.

Everyone should know how to turn off the natural gas supply to their home, and where a wrench is kept in order to do exactly that.

The worst-case scenario is that the Avian (bird) flu mutates and crosses genes with the Swine flu. Bird flu is deadly (80% mortality rate), but not very contagious. Swine flu -- opposite. If they met in a live host and crossed genes, imagine the Black Death happening ten times faster, on a global scale. Think: military-enforced quarantine. Be prepared!

God forbid....If there was a "dirty bomb" in your city, do you have a list of things to "grab and go" within minutes?

I'm not trying to be paranoid or scare anyone.... but as the famous Edna Mode said, "Luck favors the prepared, Dahlink."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:33 pm 
Major General

Here is a little update on the situation of the mission hospital I posted about above. One of the missionaries posted the following at her blog today:
Quote:
Well it has been over 3 days since the quake and things are really starting to come together in terms of the relief effort.
We are so grateful for the Samaritan's Purse people who are here right now coordinating that effort. They are so talented and skilled to know how to help and how to best coordinate all the work. They truly are an answer to prayer.

Sadly, I was wrong about the mission not losing any of their staff. That is true for the mission hospital which is part way up a mountain outside of the city, but I did not realize that they had set up clinics in the city. At least one doctor died in the quake, but they now know that at least one is not only alive, but is still working in the city.

Also, the group of doctor's whose flight was turned away yesterday morning did return later and were able to land. They were a welcome relief to the exhausted doctors at the hospital.

Water and fuel and food are still a problem, but desperately needed medical supplies are now mostly replenished for immediate needs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:11 pm 
***** General

Liked: 40
Thank you for the first hand report.

I am glued to the television or live tv on tvpc, praying as I watch. I have watched CNN exclusively - I am praying for Anderson Cooper and Dr. Sanjay Gupta as well.

We support Samaritan's Purse, and will continue to do so. I hope it won't be long before volunteer teams can go in.

Politics is on a back burner for me right now. I find it hard to think of much else, other than the people of Haiti.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:44 pm 
Major General

Here is the latest update from one of the missionaries at the hospital mission in Haiti.
Quote:
Hospital update
This was written by Kelli, one of the missionary's here who has been helping in the hospital for over 15 hours everyday since the quake.

Thank you for praying! We saw God's hand working here yesterday. Fuel came yesterday so we are able to continue with surgeries!!! As for hospital supplies I can't tell you how many times we ran out of something but just before we needed it someone found some in a storage room in an odd spot so we never lacked anything they needed for surgeries all day. That is the hand of God!!! Not coincident!!!
Yesterday Shirley one of the Nurses from SP said it was like the widow woman's pot every time we got to the bottom it just kept coming!! God is so faithful. Please pray we will get some more food soon for the people in the hospital. We have enough here for a few more days but we are praying that God will miraculously provide here too.

Also, the water shortage problem has been temporarily alliviated by a couple of large water filters brought in by Samaritan's Purse. The mission compound had a large fish pool which they were able to drain through the filters to supply more drinking water.

More x-ray film was obtained by one of the trucks sent out as well as some diesel fuel. IV fluid is still badly needed.

If you want to keep up on what its like to be a front line missionary in a dissaster area, here is a blog by one of the wife's there at the compound.
http://www.ourlifeinhaiti.blogspot.com/

Exciting things happen every day.

Post subject: Haiti six days later
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:49 pm 
** General

Liked: 11
Haiti six days later (38 photos) - http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/0 ... later.html
Quote:
Haiti remains a place of profound need, anguish, desperation and danger, with a few glimmers of hope and slowly growing capabilities to receive and distribute the international aid now flowing in. Sporadic looting, sometimes violent, was met with force by security oficials and ordinary citizens, resulting in a number of further deaths and injuries. The tenuous security situation has led to at least one temporary evacuation of a medical facility, to protect the care-givers. Despite the long time since the earthquake, at least five people were pulled from the rubble alive this weekend, including a young girl trapped inside a supermarket who was fortunately surrounded by food, and survived on fruit snacks. (38 photos total)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:59 pm 
Sergeant

For those who have donated to Love A Child, please go to their website and witness the great miracle that is at work through God to help the Haitians at this time. Praise Him!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:45 pm 
Major General

If you want to take a little national pride in what our military can do in disasters such as this, read the following article from TIME. One of our aircraft carriers there, has the capability to produce an excess of 200,000 gallons of drinking water from sea water per DAY. If this water can be moved to the very desperate people on shore, much misery and death can be eliminated. Collapsible bags are being flown in to transport the water, and our navy is in training to fill and transport this water as I write.

God uses these things and we can be properly proud that our nation is part of the solution to problems like these.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1953379_1953494_1954584,00.html?xid=rss-fullworld-yahoo
Quote:
The answer may lie in the Caribbean water that the two million residents of Port-au-Prince see every day but can't drink. Sitting off the coast of Haiti, the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Carl Vinson can make some 400,000 gallons of its own fresh water every day, and much of it will soon be going ashore. The nuclear-powered vessel, which had been heading to its new home port in San Diego when it was diverted to Haiti hours after the quake, has massive desalination capacity — purifying the same ocean saltwater it traverses — and the Vinson has a daily excess of 200,000 gallons "that we can give away," says Cmdr. William McKinley, who oversees the desalination process.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:01 am 
Major General

For those who can't tear themselves away from politics to see what is happening in Haiti, here is former Senator Bill Frist performing surgeries at the BHM hospital in Haiti.

Quote:
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Working with US Military
Last night the US military brought 4 patients up to our hospital for treatment. It is wonderful that we are able to work with the US military and be a place that they can bring injured people. God is really bringing this country together and it is so wonderful to see people joining together to help these people.

Former Senator Bill Frist MD had just came out of surgery and stopped to have a picture taken with some of the military who came.

Some of the military men standing outside the hospital after delivering the patients.

It is great to see him serving in this way.

Also, the mission's need for water has been met for a week of so by rain, and diesel fuel has been found almost daily to keep the hospital going.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:43 pm 
Major General

Here is another update on the BHM hospital in Haiti. It seems a mysterious thing happened overnight. Their main cistern was filled with water (a very precious substance at this time).

Quote:
Miracle of Water
Yesterday we were blessed with another truck of water for the hospital. We knew that if we were able to get 2 truck loads of water it would put sufficient water in the cistern for now, but it would not fill it. The cistern was almost empty when we put the first truck load in on Wednesday. We had not pumped any more from the main cistern into it either, so when the truck arrived yesterday we assumed that it would all fit into the hospital cistern.
When the truck arrived we were only able to put a small amount of the water into the hospital cistern since it was completely full. We have no idea where this water came from. It truly is a miracle!!!!!!
We were able to put the rest of the water from the truck into another cistern that the hospital can get it from later.
We are just in awe of what God is doing!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:14 pm 
***** General

Liked: 440
Thank you for sharing this site. It is great to know some specifics to pray for and find out what is happening first hand. It has been passed along to many.