Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:57 pm 
***** General

Liked: 37
This is a very exciting thought. I hope John Oxendine (candidate for Governor in 2010) is successful in this effort that would put the next convention in my backyard!

Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: Kathryn Ballou, (404) 558-4905
September 11, 2008:

Oxendine Announces Georgia Bid to Host 2012 Republican National Convention

John Oxendine shared the following announcement with the Georgia Delegation to the 2008 Republican National Convention during one of the delegation breakfasts:

I am so proud that in 2006, Georgia was widely regarded as the reddest of the red states. In my mind, that counts for something. To that end, in the days and weeks ahead, I will be working with Republican leaders as we move forward in an effort to create a bid committee to host the next Republican National Convention.

As a Georgian, I am very proud that we hosted the Democratic National Convention in 1988, and with that history, combined with the world class facilities of Phillips Arena, the Georgia Dome, and the Georgia World Congress Center, we are well positioned to host the Republican National Convention. I think it's time we tried to do so.

Georgia has earned a wonderful reputation as a world class host state for large events. Recently, the NBA and NHL All-Star games, the G-8 Summit, the 1996 Olympics and the many Super Bowls and sporting events as well as other corporate conventions we have already hosted have proven as such.

I know other good states will bid for 2012, and we in Georgia take nothing away from them, but we are proud that we have a Republican Governor, a Republican state House and state Senate, a majority of our statewide elected officers, both U.S. Senators and a majority of our delegation to the U.S. House of Representatives are Republican. Georgia is the reddest of the red states and we are ready to welcome the Republican National Convention and all of the delegates and alternates for some down home southern hospitality.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:09 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 14
Don't mean to rain on your parade, but they usually choose battleground states for the convention.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:14 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 48
jdbrown wrote:
Don't mean to rain on your parade, but they usually choose battleground states for the convention.

Is Ohio still considered a battleground state? It'd be really cool if they'd have it in Ohio... because I'm from Ohio and the next presidential election will be my first presidential election to vote in, and I would LOVE to be a delegate. (I know it doesn't have to be in Ohio to be a delegate, I just think it would be cool.) 8)

http://twitter.com/raspberrygirl12
http://roannaj.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:28 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 14
ohiorepublican09 wrote:
jdbrown wrote:

Is Ohio still considered a battleground state? It'd be really cool if they'd have it in Ohio... because I'm from Ohio and the next presidential election will be my first presidential election to vote in, and I would LOVE to be a delegate. (I know it doesn't have to be in Ohio to be a delegate, I just think it would be cool.) 8)

Yes, Ohio is a battleground state and it would be a very nice place for the next convention.